Too few calories, too full for more - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-25-2011, 05:05 AM

I have a bit of a problem. When I was vegetarian I was pretty sedentary & when I decided to go vegan three weeks ago I also started running again (I ran before regularly, but it was about two years ago). I was keeping a food diary to make sure I got enough proteins & I take a multi-vitamin, but I've never been big on calorie counting. After reading that some of my favourite foods had <100 kcals I was concerned and kept a counter. I found I was eating between 600 and 800 kcals a day. Obviously this is bad especially when exercising & I have lost weight but only about 2.5lbs a week which I thought was healthy. I'm still about 126lbs at 5' 7" so I'm not "skinny" but at this rate I will be. I'm also worried about my body burning muscle in "starvation mode". However, this is purely a number problem. When I was eating that number of calories I never felt lethargic, tired, or dry skinned. I had no dizziness or any other symptoms of undereating & I only drink as much water as I need and the odd cup of green tea.
So I bought avacado, whole nuts, hummus, ate more peanutbutter than usual, & even made cashew cheese. My problem is that I am not a big eater & when I'm full, I'm full. I was eating to fullness before but now even after introducing these foods I find it difficult to eat more than 1000kcals because I feel full & sick as they are much heavier than I'm used to eating in Summer. Also eating so much is making me lethargic.

tl;dr: I eat way too few calories (<800) & I exercise regularly. I have upped to calorie rich foods & bigger portions but feel sick eating so much food all the time and find it hard to force myself knowing I'll feel sick, even though at a push I'm getting about 1000kcals a day. Is there anything I can do that doesn't include eating more food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2011, 06:58 AM

I'm the same. On average I manage to eat about 1000 calories a day before I'm full. I've always been like that though. If I try to eat any more I have terrible stomach ache.

I would say that the only thing you can do is to eat little and often. Maybe that will boost your calories. You're supposed to have above 1200 to stay out of starvation mode, so just that extra 400 could make a huge difference. Maybe have some peanuts. They're quite fatty and high in calories I think. You could also try to slowly up your calories per meal. Maybe add an extra 100 calories per meal. That would help boost it as well.

~Tabby~ I am a very new vegetarian (20 June 2011) and am still learning a lot. I'm probably quite naive in my views.
#3 Old 06-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm the same way, except I think I'm underweight, and it's unintentional
I also feel full very easily.
What works for me sometimes (though who am I to give advice!) is eating several small meals a day; grazing. Sometimes it seems like I am constantly eating all day long. I can't eat large meals or I get terrible stomachaches.
I need to add more calorie rich foods to my diet, and I should probably stop living such a sedentary lifestyle
I will be following this thread closely, so thanks for starting it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the more you eat, the more you get used to eating, and the more you need to fill yourself up. So I guess my advice would be to put up with some initial discomfort and just make an effort to eat more - and your body will adjust and you'll start to feel like you want to eat that amount.

If you're still finding things difficult you should talk to your doctor, because the amount you are eating is really unhealthy for you.
#5 Old 06-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

wow i feel the same way, i do eat 6 meals a day but my portion is not very big. this is fine for me but when I try to exercise my body complains cause i dont really eat more but my body needs more fuel.

i just get full so quickly.

there is no way of forcing myself to eat more, its so uncomfortable
#6 Old 07-09-2011, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Identity_theif has a point. You do get used to eating very little or a lot. I've gone through both stages - times when I've been eating so little, so I get too used to that and can't eat more, and then times when I feel ravenous if I don't stuff myself way past the point I should.

Overall, though, I tend not to be a heavy eater. And I'm kinda of the "don't believe everything doctors say" mentality. If you feel comfortable with what you're eating, are able to get enough energy to live your life, work out, etc, and are not suffering from any health problems, then I don't see a problem. Everyone's body is different. Maybe yours just needs less.
#7 Old 08-11-2011, 04:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I have the same problem too. I'm 5ft and though I have always been really small currently weigh about 90lbs. I lost some weight when I stopped eating meat and then some more earlier in the year through stress and it's not going back on. I have recently found out I am intolerant to several foods and been told that now knowing that will help but I'm not convinced as now there are less foods I can eat and I it hasn't helped how picky and worried I get about what I eat, yes I now know what's going to make me ill but now I worry about it being consealed in things... Sometimes I just deliberatly eat some high calorie foods though I know that's no solution really. I worry about the fact that though there are calories coming in everyday and my diet is healthy my body will compensate for the lack and that to other people I'll end up looking ill not just slim and then people will be on my back about it which stresses me and will make things worse as any time I'm worried or stressed I have no apettite at all :s
#8 Old 08-11-2011, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

i 100% understand how you feel, i likewise when i stress dont have an apetite or when I eat its hard to keep the weight on, you need to focus on things like brown rice which is excellent and you can have it with vegetables and lots of things like chick peas and kidney beans I use brown rice as substitute for everything containing wheat.

I also have very high cholestrol (got it from my mom's side of the family) and is not one you can get down with eating right or exercise, I actually have to be on cholestrol medication but at the moment I am not due to some side effects.

This also made me a very healthy eater as I dont really eat things that are baked, fried or have pastry. It is on my mind all the time that I have high cholestrol.

its very hard but you dont have to be unhealthy you just find other forms of food groups to substitute for the wheat, dairy and eggs. I dont know how you can live without potato thou...

Can you eat sweet patato.

Good luck. I am in the same boat.

Just recently got my thyroid tested and all but nothing wrong just stress related.

I am working in ways to deal with stress re exercise in the form of walking outdoors and also bikram yoga, cutting back on caffeine and sugar.
#9 Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Banned

Gotta force it. I need to eat 3400 cals cause of the hours of cardio I do each day. Some days, honestly, I can just hit 2-2.5k cals, I'm too full. Other days, I can eat prob 5-6k if you let me, but I try to cap at 3-3.2k, I measure everything by eye so I figure there's always calories that slip through.

But OP, you exercise regularly and eat less than 800... I don't want to say it, but bells are going off in my head. I know you don't feel symptoms of under eating, but I'm sure your body needs the nutrients and cals to recover from the exercise and daily activity/organ function.
#10 Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you Kasandra I have some brown rice pasta which I actually prefer to normal and also rice milk is ok. I love fruit and veg and will eat most other than green leafy things which I'm not keen on but does mean there's not a lot of calories in things. I also mainly only drink water. Not sure about sweet potato though I thought there weren't actually a potato as such ? Will have to try and see. I like goats cheese and my local supermarket sells sheeps cheese too though I've not tried it.
I started learning more about food when my son had to follow a special diet when he was younger, spent loads of time learning and reading labels and it made me really consious of what I eat . In a lot of cases I don't want to not eat something because of it, it's what's been done to or put in it I don't like the idea of. I like beans and salads and things like homemade veg stews or pastas.
I don't feel ill from the way I eat and am pretty active. I walk alot as I don't drive and have started skating again now we have moved near a rink. Plus I have three children, house and garden to look after but I don worry what the long term effects could be. Some days I do feel really hungry and eat more but I always send up feeling uncomfortable afterwards
#11 Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

i think just make sure your BMI is in a healthy range and then that you get all the nutrients that you need then you should be ok.
#12 Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

My problem is I dont have energy for activities like going for walks and doing exercise, and I miss this in my life. I am thinking of keeping berry juice and fruit for smoothies in the house so that when I feel in a slump to have a nice smoothie.

Also thinking about cutting out caffeine as I think this drains my energy even more .
#13 Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

can you try some green smoothies with dates to up the calories?
#14 Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

BMI is 17.8 so underweight. I do take a multivitamin though
#15 Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

2steps that is really really underweight yes. maybe go see a nutritionist or someone who can work out for you an eating plan to exclude all the things you can't eat but to work out a plan for you that include all that you can eat.

dont think a multivitamin is going to cut it.

PENNY79 THE SMOOTHIES IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA... I am going to go stock up on the weekend. I really did enjoy my soya strawberry smoothie with berry juice and banana.
#16 Old 08-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Just registered with our new doctors yesterday as we recently moved house so once that's sorted out I can get an appointment and hopefully get somewhere. Failing with the wheat and dairy thing too as ingrediants there in so much and everone else at home eats them so the food is around...
#17 Old 08-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Same boat here. Struggling as a new vegan to keep from losing pounds off my already small frame. The many small meals idea is a good one !
#18 Old 09-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

im the same way
my bmi is 16.4

Since I can't eat too much without getting full, I've been sneaking in liquid calories.
I've been trying to drink two venti soy lattes which would be +440 calories (expensive, but i have a giftcard)
still not working =[[

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page