Healthy Eating VS Exercise - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Which one do you guys think is most important.

I lost weight just by converting to vegetarian and find I eat in general very healthy now even thou I eat twice as much with the occasional treats.

I do not exercise as often as I use to and find I dont have the strength for hectic work outs and now that I am my ideal body precentage and weight I dont see the point in killing myself with exercise.

Is the occasional walk or jog good enough?

Actually find that sleeping and eating right helps me maintain my weight better then every. Sleeping meaning getting enough decent sleep.

I do know that exercise has its place but it also increase my appetite hugely which I hate as I love everything in moderation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Exercise is good for your heart and lungs, and can help you keep weight off. I'd say they're about tied for importance. Generally, sedentary people have more health problems than active people.

Disclaimer: I'm insane.
#3 Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

usually very active in summer, swim in the mornings at gym cause I wake up very early and then walk dog in afternoons but winter is a different story.

BRRR!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Vegan Very Metal

I don't really like to separate the two, as they both play a very important part in my life, they have done for many years and hopefully they will do for the rest of my life.

I enjoy the winter months usually, it means I have to have train harder just to stay warm.

Isn't it always warm in South Africa, apart from at night?
#5 Old 06-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Ankle Biter

You will find that exercise will help tremendously as you get older - it helps your metabolism stay high and helps you avoid a lot of the aches and pains that come with aging (and I'm talking 40s - not 70s!). It also helps ensure quality sleep and eases the way through peri- and menopause. But I think you're right - moderation in all things. I think a lot of adults who decide to start running races and playing competitive tennis after having been inactive for years risk injury and frustration.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

In my experience, diet has been more important for weight loss but exercise is more important for mood, overall health, etc. Both are important and when I'm doing well then it's because I'm eating well and I'm getting plenty of exercise. When I'm not well, I haven't been eating well or exercising enough.
#7 Old 06-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

ok i will not judge my progress just take it step by step.

@ Vincent Cape Town for us cold is 15 degrees he he he. Ok I am not use to cold weather cold for me is cold I guess more reason to exercise and stay warm.
#8 Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Both, I don't feel you can be as healthy as possible without both.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#9 Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Exercise important for things other than just weight loss. Everyone needs some exercise -- I think a good minimum is 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. A brisk walk will do. You shouldn't really need to eat a lot more to compensate if you're just doing the minimum, maybe an extra snack here and there. Exercise will help you maintain your weight loss, but there are other benefits too -- for example, cardiovascular health and building bone mass.

If you are a woman under 30, you are still building bone mass and need to do some sort of weight bearing exercise (walking is good, but other types of exercise can work). If you're over 30, weight bearing exercise will help you maintain the bone mass you have.

Regarding the winter issue, it's consistently below 0 degrees C here in the winter, but I still try to get outside and walk or run with my dog daily. Your dog could use the exercise year round too! If you are cold, all you need is warmer clothes.
#10 Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Exercise increases your appetite because it expends energy (calories), thus increases your calorie requirements from whatever you would need as a sedentary person. There's nothing to dislike about needing to eat more, unless one has a disordered relationship with food (either not wanting to eat enough or wanting to eat too much, I'm simplifying here). Exercise is valuable - your heart is a muscle, it requires exercise to function at optimal capacity, for example. You'll never escape the zombies if you have a weak and feeble heart, even if you are skinny - you'll run out of breath, have to stop and then get eaten as an appetizer. Weight-bearing exercise is also important in avoiding osteoporosis in the future, it builds maximum bone density (especially if you start in adolescence) and delays bone degeneration.

If weight loss was your only concern here, sure, diet might be a prime factor - but if you exercise, you get all the aforementioned advantages (and the ones other people have mentioned), plus you can have wiggle room for treats.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#11 Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone

Thanks for the response but I don't need to lose weight as my BMI and weight is ideal.

I am 33 and just want to keep healthy.

Will just try for 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise
#12 Old 06-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Both, I don't feel you can be as healthy as possible without both.

Yes! They really go hand in hand, they both bring different pros to the table.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#13 Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Diet high in fruits and vegetables (and avoiding junk, processed foods, too many cooked foods, fried foods, salts, syrups, grains, etc.) to look good with clothes on.

Exercise to look good naked.
#14 Old 06-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I am convinced that exercise has very little to do with weight loss, and that taking off fat happens 95% in the kitchen, the most important thing being to ditch the freaking sweet tooth, and maybe 5% in the gym. The gym can even backfire if you haven't learned to control your diet because, as was mentioned earlier, expending energy greatly increases your appetite. If all you know to eat is garbage, then exercising will make you eat more garbage. If you eat healthy, then what you eat will help you build yourself back up after you exercise, not simply take on the form of added weight.

But I am a fitness nerd because of all the other benefits it provides, the main one being that an active life is just more enjoyable whether it helps you live longer or not (and it is fairly well established that, on average, it does). It is almost frustrating when people assume I have no life because I can't hold a conversation about the latest episode of whatever random TV show they're babbling about. I've been hiking in parts of the world they would be physically incapable of even attempting, yet I'm missing out on something because I don't spend my time sitting on a couch? What nonsense.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#15 Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

In my experience, diet has been more important for weight loss but exercise is more important for mood, overall health, etc. Both are important and when I'm doing well then it's because I'm eating well and I'm getting plenty of exercise. When I'm not well, I haven't been eating well or exercising enough.

This exactly.
#16 Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

It isn't either/or. You need both to be healthy.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#17 Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Banned

I always felt that eating was 60%+ of the battle, but they really do go hand in hand. You put IN good foods, you put OUT good exercise.
#18 Old 06-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

In my personal experience, a healthy diet alone took off the weight, and not exercise alone. The year I went vegan I lost a tremendous amount of my freshman college weight with hardly any exercise. My senior year in college consisted of lots of alcohol and french fries and energy drinks and I gained it allll back and 20 pounds more. Eww. BUT I was exercising at least 20 hours a week. 3 hours of high cardio advanced dance classes 4 days a week and 1-2 hours at the gym 5 days a week (weights and abs in the morning, track or elliptical in the evening) plus walking up hills all day. You need both to be healthy and happy, but people are probably fooling themselves when they say they can eat what they want if they exercise enough. Didn't work that way for me.
#19 Old 06-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the vegetarian lifestyle just keep my weight ideal. Eating everything in moderation.

My problem, I think, is thinking that you have to do weight training etc to exercise.

I mean I did some weights and my body was crying the next day. My normal food intake didnt feel adequate even thou I didnt feel hungry.

Walking my dog or taking him for a run seem to be enough for my body.

I know exercise is important but as soon as I start to exercise I gain weight or feel drained and tired cause I dont eat enough. Hate obessing about food.

Getting enough sleep and eating in moderation seem to be the way forward for me.
#20 Old 06-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

I think the vegetarian lifestyle just keep my weight ideal. Eating everything in moderation.

My problem, I think, is thinking that you have to do weight training etc to exercise.

I mean I did some weights and my body was crying the next day. My normal food intake didnt feel adequate even thou I didnt feel hungry.

Walking my dog or taking him for a run seem to be enough for my body.

I know exercise is important but as soon as I start to exercise I gain weight or feel drained and tired cause I dont eat enough. Hate obessing about food.

Getting enough sleep and eating in moderation seem to be the way forward for me.

As a woman, you'll want to do some mild weight training (resistance exercise) to promote good bone health. You don't have to do it all the time. If cardio and moderated food intake works for you, then go with it. Only you know your body best, but I wouldn't completely dismiss resistance training.
#21 Old 06-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sounds like you overdid it. Try smaller weights or fewer reps, or maybe do some yoga instead.

You don't need to "obsess" over food when you exercise. Just carry a granola bar or other small snack for when you get a little extra hungry.
#22 Old 06-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Both are very important for overall health.

In my experience though, for maintaining a healthy weight, it is exercise that does it for me. It doesn't just burn calories, it stops me from getting bored and raiding the fridge, as well as making me feel better in myself; I'm all in all less likely to binge. At the same time, if I do go out and eat 10 donuts in one go, I probably still won't gain, because I am burning plenty of calories.

Exercise for me isn't about weight loss, it's about being healthy and happy, but at the same time it keeps me trim. I try to eat healthily when I can, but I can still gain weight on a balanced diet (and lose on an unbalanced one).

Based on the replies in this thread, it seems like this varies for everyone. You have to do what's right for you and what makes you feel good.
#23 Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I think both are equally important. You can't be your healthiest if you do one and not the other. People that try to lose weight or just be healthy without exercising miss all the benefits of exercise. Those that exercise but eat awful are basically sabotaging themselves.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown
#24 Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Keep in mind that your first day strength training will likely make you the sorest!!! After that, your body probably won't be in so much pain the next day.

Honestly, part of the reason I love exercise and being active is because I work up a good appetite. It makes eating so much better, and I already love food so much. Plus, your body actually needs the food.
#25 Old 06-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Elaine. I've read studies that have shown that exercise (at least moderate exercise - I'm not talking about exercise a la Biggest Loser or some other intensive weight loss program/show) overall doesn't do much for shedding pounds. However, for me, it's a great stress reliever and since I'm a huge stress eater, being able to lessen stress through exercise means that I go for the junk food less when I'm stressed and that ultimately helps me lose weight.

Tam
#26 Old 06-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone, I went for a jog walk with my dog today and worked in the garden for about a hour, must shed the idea that you can only exercise in gym, I will stick to moderate exercise in the outdoors.
#27 Old 06-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

I always felt that eating was 60%+ of the battle, but they really do go hand in hand. You put IN good foods, you put OUT good exercise.

I'd go even higher. If you don't eat healthy food you won't have the fuel for a decent workout.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#28 Old 06-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

i think you can do a very moderate amount of exercise, including some stretching and at least 1/2 hour of sustained aerobics (could be power walking) 3 x a week ... and combine this with an ultra low fat starch based diet for the best overall result. if you're running hard, that's a lot of stress on your joints. i've become a big fan of my elliptical for this reason. i've gone with a dumbbell workout and really lightened up on the weights. no more heavy lifts. all it takes is one orthopedic injury and you're in a lot of trouble, especially if you're eating a typical vegetarian/vegan diet and relying on exercise to balance your calorie counts.

i believe it's 85% diet, 15% (at most) exercise...

this has me wanting to learn some yoga .
#29 Old 06-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

If we are talking strictly from a weight loss standpoint, I say diet, hands down. I've read that diet is 80% of weight loss and that was certainly true for me. I have difficulty exercising because of my fibromyalgia. Every time I try even a light workout routine I end up in pain for days. So I lost 45 lbs almost entirely from diet changes.

From a health standpoint I'm sure they are probably equally important. I feel I would be healthier if I were in better shape (even though I'm not overweight at all anymore). I just don't know how to do that. :-(
#30 Old 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

Thanks everyone, I went for a jog walk with my dog today and worked in the garden for about a hour, must shed the idea that you can only exercise in gym, I will stick to moderate exercise in the outdoors.

this sounds like a perfectly sensible plan to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page