I don't like eating... (WARNING: Possible ED trigger) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Beginner

So one of the reason I went vegan was because most of the time I don't particularly like eating... not because I'm worried about weight gain, because I don't gain weight, I'm always slim, I'm just not really that interested in eating. It's on par with most bodily functions (except sex). Actually, I don't mind fluids, but solid food is repulsive a lot of the time... and obviously anything that involves animals is repulsive.

Anyone else feel like this sometimes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

No. I like eating, enjoy the satisfaction of a good elimination too.

What is 'repulsive' to you about food and eating?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

When I was a vegetarian and extremely, extremely depressed (this was before bipolar diagnosis, I had many depressive episodes), I did find it very difficult to find the motivation to eat and cook for myself. I ended up nearly emaciated. My dad and docs had me drink high calorie shakes to help. Now that I'm properly diagnosed and medicated, it's much easier for me to cook and eat. My weight has been normal (for me) and stable for a long time. Due to issues swallowing though, I need to chew pretty thoroughly and eat smaller meals with snacks throughout the day. For example, the cereal I'm eating now is a bit difficult for me to swallow so I eat very slowly. I'm not sure if you're having similar issues or if the texture of solids are just gross to you but would eating smaller meals and snacks throughout the day help? Could you possibly have a large smoothie in the morning to help? I'm sure you know this but if you decide to make any changes, please be sure you're getting enough calories and nutrients.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Beginner

...what is repulsive is simply putting food in my mouth and digesting. Not all the time. Just every now and then... I philosophically separate the concept of eating from any other social or health aspect. I'd quite happy live without eating, if it were possible. It seems like a chore most of the time.

Rhys: Maybe I'm slightly similar to you, though I don't have depression or anything. Sometimes I wonder if I get enough nutrition, but sometimes the thought of eating is less enticing that the importance of nutrition. I always feel like those things can been made up... like there is too much importance placed on a "balanced diet". Considering that some people can consume all sorts of junk their entire life and live fine in an obese state suggests that the body is pretty competent at dealing with things. (I've never been overweight, or unhealthy, so excuse me if I don't completely understand the truth of the matter.) Anyway, life is short and we'll all be dead soon... these things seem so unimportant!
#5 Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I have periods when I don't feel like eating at all.

Not that I dislike eating, it's just that it's too much of a bother to make the food.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#6 Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 AM

I go through this every 3 to 4 months, myself, and it lasts a couple months. I have absolutely no appetite and the thought of food is nauseating. Sometimes I go days without eating. Obviously, this is extremely unhealthy but I don't know how to fix it! It's hard to force myself to eat when I am simply not hungry.

"I think it's naive to pray for world peace if we're not going to change the form in which we live." Godfrey Reggio
#7 Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post

I go through this every 3 to 4 months, myself, and it lasts a couple months. I have absolutely no appetite and the thought of food is nauseating. Sometimes I go days without eating. Obviously, this is extremely unhealthy but I don't know how to fix it! It's hard to force myself to eat when I am simply not hungry.

days without eating is so very dangerous, sorry to hear that it happens sometimes, Jenner.

Rainbows, I have times where I don't eat or eat very little, but it's mostly because I eat raw and very clean, so I find cooking/eating bland/boring. If you actually find it repulsive or bothersome maybe you should try to find a support group or forum with others who have the same issue, have you?
#8 Old 04-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Beginner

Well, I'm not concerned about my health, nor do I need support as such. I'm more interested if there are other people who just don't care about eating from time to time.

It seems that most people are obsessed with eating, and eating as much as they can, and finding ways to replace all those things they "want" to eat but they can't as they are vegan. (Bizarre really, I don't see why people would want to replace the idea of eating something non vegan with something vegan... anyway, each to their own...)

In this "modern world", surely it's easy enough, and we have the suitable distractions and abstract lifestyles that philsophically we can remove ourselves from the notion of food and desire...
#9 Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post

Well, I'm not concerned about my health, nor do I need support as such. I'm more interested if there are other people who just don't care about eating from time to time.

It seems that most people are obsessed with eating, and eating as much as they can, and finding ways to replace all those things they "want" to eat but they can't as they are vegan. (Bizarre really, I don't see why people would want to replace the idea of eating something non vegan with something vegan... anyway, each to their own...)

In this "modern world", surely it's easy enough, and we have the suitable distractions and abstract lifestyles that philsophically we can remove ourselves from the notion of food and desire...

I'm sort of in between things but I understand what you're saying.

Most of the time I'm one of those vegans who gets a lot of joy from eating and I love finding vegan versions of my old favourite foods (The reason is taste, I didn't go vegan because I hated the taste of animal products, and I love being able to have rice milk chocolate or vegenaise or any other cruelty free versions of old standbys. If you don't get that maybe you have much less sensitive taste buds than most people? It does happen.)

But sometimes, particularly when I'm feeling depressed or low energy, I totally lose interest in eating and cooking and it all seems like such a chore. All the foods I usually love and crave will seem bland or gross and the thought of having to chop vegetables or wash dishes sounds awful, even thinking about the amount of time I spend thinking about food and what to make is depressing. It never lasts long though, after a day or two my appetite always returns and I fully enjoy eating again. For me it's one of life's greatest pleasures besides sex and sleep, I'd hate to lose my will to eat permanently.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#10 Old 04-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Veggie Regular

its strange cause I also understand previously before going Vegetarian I could just live on Cereal, food just didnt bother me if I just didnt feel passionate about food at all it was such a mission to prepare something when I dont even enjoy it.

BUT now that I am vegetarian I find that I actually do put a lot of effort into my food, cause i have been losing weight and dont want to harm my body (which I think is a huge progress).

As long as I eat clean I feel great.

Lots of fresh veggies, fruit and basically gluten free eating plan with soya.

I do have and probably always will have a control thing when it comes to food as everyone always comments on how little I eat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page