Weight Gain: Help Me Gain 15 lbs by Spring! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 PM

Hello,
I'm 15 years old, and have been a vegetarian for almost 3 years. I'm about 5'4" and weigh around 95 pounds. My mom (not vegetarian) said that if I gained 15 lbs by spring, I could get a pet pig, and if I gained 15 lbs by summer, I could go vegan. I'd like for both to happen, so If i can gain 15 lbs by Spring, then I'll get a pet pig, and come summer time, will get to go vegan! This is great, except I have no clue how to gain weight!!

So, If you guys could please help me out by giving me some suggestions on how to gain weight, that'd be great! I would like to know what foods to eat, what exercises to do, etc. Anything that you think will help.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Why are you so terribly underweight? Also, why do you need to be bribed to gain weight?

Eat more, move less.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#3 Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

When I discover why I've gained weight since going vegan I will let you know 0.0

But yea you're too skinny, what kind of things do you regularly eat?

You call me sweet like I'm some kinda of cheese....vegan cheese 0.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 PM

I've been starting to try and eat more
I eat a LOT of soy products
Here's what i usually eat,

Breakfast:
Oatmeal

Lunch
Sandwich (either pb&j or tofurkey)
Banana
apple or orange
granola bar or other small snack

Dinner
Soy meat replacement (veggie burger, veggie chicken nuggets, veggie dogs, etc)
Carbs of some kind (pasta, potato, etc)
vegetables

I also take a vegetarian multi vitamin.

I'm also in cross country, so I run a lot (when its warm)

I don't need to be bribed to gain weight, its just good... motivation.

Anyways, any advice?

Thanks!
#5 Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah! Add in some snacks....especially if you're running. Cliff Bars and Luna Bars are good and easy on-the-go.
Odwalla makes really good protein shakes that you can have between meals/snacks. Its easier to get liquid nutrients in than solids sometimes.

Ask your mom if you can meet with a registered dietitian who might be able to help you out formulating a meal plan.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#6 Old 01-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheDuck View Post

I've been starting to try and eat more
I eat a LOT of soy products
Here's what i usually eat,

Breakfast:
Oatmeal

Lunch
Sandwich (either pb&j or tofurkey)
Banana
apple or orange
granola bar or other small snack

Dinner
Soy meat replacement (veggie burger, veggie chicken nuggets, veggie dogs, etc)
Carbs of some kind (pasta, potato, etc)
vegetables

I also take a vegetarian multi vitamin.

I'm also in cross country, so I run a lot (when its warm)

I don't need to be bribed to gain weight, its just good... motivation.

Anyways, any advice?

Thanks!

More snacks! Healthy fats like nuts, oils and avocados are great too.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I'll try those bars, and see if my mom will let me meet with a dietitian (are they expensive?)
Also, I've been trying to incorporate more snacks in my day. I've been eating pecans and walnuts (I have the luxury of having a couple walnut trees and a TON of pecan trees. We have a burlap sack full of pecans we have collected (in the shells still) and it weights over 50lbs!)
Thanks

Any other advice? Any exercise or weight lifting related advice, such as specific exercises i should do/try?
Also, what are some specific food I can eat to help with weight gain?

Thanks everyone!
#8 Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Two words:

Peanut butter.
#9 Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I will agree with smob. Nuts have a ton of calories. Also, try eating something like pita with hummus. You can rack up extra calories fast.
#10 Old 01-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

I will agree with smob. Nuts have a ton of calories. Also, try eating something like pita with hummus. You can rack up extra calories fast.

Mmm yes!

The key here is to increase your caloric intake but it needs to be "quality" calories, if that makes sense. The calories you get from peanut butter...or any nut butter for that matter...are better for you per calorie than those from, say, ice cream or fried foods.
#11 Old 01-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I gotta agree with the other folks!

I love my trailmixes, granola, avocado, healthier oils in my foods (olive oil and balsamic on salad!) Hummus and multi grain crackers are great too! Try and stick to Whole grains, they are more calorie dense but also offer more nutrition for your body. You want to be bigger, not fatter

Weight lifting can help but if your not eating enough you may just end up toning. To gain weight is simply more calories in than what you expend.

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#12 Old 01-07-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks everyone!
I've began eating walnuts and pecans every night before going to sleep.
I'll start eating more peanut butter. Peanut butter and crackers.
I also think I'll start weight lifting.
Thanks everyone!
Any other advice would be great!
#13 Old 01-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Beginner

Nut butters on oatmeal is really nice, as well as dried fruits. Unless, you are eating a lot of oatmeal it looks to me like your breakfast is far too small for such an active person, so I've start with that as well as snacks and adding healthy fats like others have mentioned.
#14 Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM

so what do you suggest for breakfast?
Would oatmeal and a banana be good, or should I add more?
Thanks!
#15 Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Oryzatarian

That sounds good. I chop up dried fruit to mix with oatmeal, thats good too. You could chop up some of those pecans.
Watch someone will say peanut butter oatmeal
A bit of vegetable included in breakfast somehow may be a good idea too, not so much for weight gain but more for nutritional balance.

You have the same body mass index as I always have and no matter how much I ate I never gained weight except when a combination of balanced diet (ample protein, calories, and vegetables) and exercise put on muscle mass. Any other way of gaining weight wouldnt be particularly healthy anyway.
#16 Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 PM

Thanks
You said exercise and muscle mass. What are some exercises you did?
Thanks
#17 Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Oryzatarian

I suppose that depends as much on what else your into as anything. If nothing else you could check out a exercise book from the library and aim for all major muscle groups.
For myself I do crunches to keep my abdominal muscles strong enough for digging in my garden without strain, my butt being all boney always annoyed me so I do squats and sometimes lunges to build up my legs and butt, I got me a kick scooter to put those leg and ass muscles to use by scouting the city for medicinal plants and it also gives the heart a workout and I often walk which is good for the heart too and its relaxing, and I lift weights a bit so I can easily lift what ever weight of stuff my back will allow.
So you can just kind of exercise everything but with added emphasis on muscles you might use alot.
The leg muscles are pretty big, good spot to bulk up easily.
#18 Old 01-08-2011, 08:01 AM

Thanks!
I'll try finding of some good exercises

Any other advice?

Thanks everyone!
#19 Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 AM

bump
Anyone else have any advice?
Thanks!
#20 Old 01-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I would say add snacks and try to bulk up your meals just a tad. Add pecans, dried cranberries, and milled flax seed to your oatmeal. I would suggest eating more veggies simply because it looks like you only eat them once a day. Eat them with a higher calorie dip. I like annie's goddess dressing (it's vegan). I would also suggest learning to cook a few soy-less meals. I have nothing against soy mock-meats, but they are very processed and high in sodium and aren't the healthiest things to be eating everyday.
#21 Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 PM

I have a vegetarian cook book
but with me being a teen, and my dad usually away on business and my mom going to back to college at night, I usually have to "cook" myself, and its a lot easier for me to make a soy mock meat
Do you know of any simple meals i can make myself that are rather easy and quick to make?
Thanks so much!
#22 Old 01-11-2011, 01:01 AM

I'm rather thin as well, and like you I was seeking ways to put on some weight. I began eating like crazy, about 3k calories a day and exercised and added 10 pounds in 3 weeks. You can stick with what you eat now, just find creative ways to increase your calorie count without eating 10 meals a day. I found nuts and seeds to be my best friends. Here's what I do: Put a banana and walnuts in my oatmeal (each fourth cup of walnuts has 200 calories, and a banana has about 75 calories), add sunflower seeds to my PB&J sandwiches (around 200 calories per oz). Add pepitas to certain meals (rice, pasta, etc). Add extras whenever possible. Add avocado to your wraps/sandwiches. If you like cereal, granola is high in calories. Get some snack bars to eat between meals. Add fruit. If you eat and eat and eat, you will gain weight, but fat not muscle (muscle weighs more than fat). To turn the extra calories to muscle you need to work out and take a protein shake after it (has to be whey, not soy or any other if you want faster results). Here are some basic points:

1. Always add nuts and fruit to your oatmeal
2. Always add fruit to your cereal
3. PB&J sandwiches with sunflower seeds = massive calories, about 500.
4. Eat lots of extras when you're not having a meal, such as snack bars or fruit
5. Eat large portions of pasta and rice if you like it, it's high in calories
6. Buy yourself some free weights, maybe 10-12 pounds. Do arm curls, shoulder presses, chest presses, etc. with them. Also add push ups and sit ups. These are the types of exercises I do. Try to work out at least 3 days a week (more if you can), for at least 30 mins each day, and push yourself with your exercises so you do as many reps as possible, but not to the point where you feel weak and like passing out. Start off slow, and build it up as you become stronger.
7. Take whey protein after your workout (i know it's not vegan, but soy or any other protein isn't gonna give you good results).
#23 Old 01-11-2011, 03:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I recommend beer, or spirits with non-diet mixers. You'll be podgy in no time.

m8itcanw8.com
#24 Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE all your other advice, but this is just not true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aDayToRemember View Post

7. Take whey protein after your workout (i know it's not vegan, but soy or any other protein isn't gonna give you good results).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#25 Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDayToRemember View Post

I'm rather thin as well, and like you I was seeking ways to put on some weight. I began eating like crazy, about 3k calories a day and exercised and added 10 pounds in 3 weeks. You can stick with what you eat now, just find creative ways to increase your calorie count without eating 10 meals a day. I found nuts and seeds to be my best friends. Here's what I do: Put a banana and walnuts in my oatmeal (each fourth cup of walnuts has 200 calories, and a banana has about 75 calories), add sunflower seeds to my PB&J sandwiches (around 200 calories per oz). Add pepitas to certain meals (rice, pasta, etc). Add extras whenever possible. Add avocado to your wraps/sandwiches. If you like cereal, granola is high in calories. Get some snack bars to eat between meals. Add fruit. If you eat and eat and eat, you will gain weight, but fat not muscle (muscle weighs more than fat). To turn the extra calories to muscle you need to work out and take a protein shake after it (has to be whey, not soy or any other if you want faster results). Here are some basic points:

1. Always add nuts and fruit to your oatmeal
2. Always add fruit to your cereal
3. PB&J sandwiches with sunflower seeds = massive calories, about 500.
4. Eat lots of extras when you're not having a meal, such as snack bars or fruit
5. Eat large portions of pasta and rice if you like it, it's high in calories
6. Buy yourself some free weights, maybe 10-12 pounds. Do arm curls, shoulder presses, chest presses, etc. with them. Also add push ups and sit ups. These are the types of exercises I do. Try to work out at least 3 days a week (more if you can), for at least 30 mins each day, and push yourself with your exercises so you do as many reps as possible, but not to the point where you feel weak and like passing out. Start off slow, and build it up as you become stronger.

Thanks for all the advice! that really helps! I have a question though. Why wont soy or other protein work? * Ahimsa* said that thats not true. Could you explain why you say that other proteins won't work? Also, Ahimsa, you say that others do you work. Could you also elaborate? Do you have a "success story" using a different type? What type is it?

Thanks!
#26 Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

#27 Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheDuck View Post

Thanks for all the advice! that really helps! I have a question though. Why wont soy or other protein work? * Ahimsa* said that thats not true. Could you explain why you say that other proteins won't work? Also, Ahimsa, you say that others do you work. Could you also elaborate? Do you have a "success story" using a different type? What type is it?

Well thank you.

The whey protein recommendation came from the sports nutritionist from the nutrition store. I'm assuming he knows what he's talking about- he seemed very knowledgeable. I told him I prefer to not use whey, but he said others will not work as well and it will take longer to see results. I don't know exactly what makes whey work better (maybe the amino acid profile?), but he said it digests a lot faster than the others. So what he's saying is that while others will work, whey is the best to use in terms of packing weight and muscle faster.
#28 Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

No, it's true.

Soy protein has too low of a absorption rate.

As in that you take it after a workout, you can use soy at other times of the day.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#29 Old 01-11-2011, 03:14 PM

whats in whey that makes in not vegan?
#30 Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I believe whey is a milk by-product.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page