how does one know if one's 'too' thin? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a big believer in BMI (muscles, bone structure, it all comes into play and bmi pays no attention to that) but my clothes are gettin' a little loose so I'm wondering whether to step up the food intake or not be bothered by it.

Or is BMI a solid judge even if you've always had 'little bones'? I tend to go by how healthy my skin/hair/energy levels are and they seem ok, although the latter is flagging a tad lately and i have some probably unrelated weird chest pain things happening.

I eat what I'd consider a lot and fairly well balanced. So it's ok , ..right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

if it helps, my bmi is 16.7, which is underweight but i've rarely been anything above 19 in my whole life
#3 Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie25 View Post

I'm not a big believer in BMI (muscles, bone structure, it all comes into play and bmi pays no attention to that) but my clothes are gettin' a little loose so I'm wondering whether to step up the food intake or not be bothered by it.

I eat what I'd consider a lot and fairly well balanced. So it's ok , ..right?

bmi is no good, u are right for not paying much attention to it. however how your clothes fit and how much energy you have are important to pay attention to.

it might be a good idea for you to track your intake on fitday or sparkpeople to make sure you are getting enough daily calories and covering all of the nutrients and minerals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I also think it would be a good idea to have a medical checkup: not because of your BMI, but because of your wight loss, lack of energy and chest pains.
#5 Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't believe much in BMI either. There is so much coming into play that affects your weight that it's really not reliable. A mirror is a better judge than any chart or numbers. But more importantly how you FEEL and what your bloodwork might say. Has your activitly level increased, and you haven't compensated by increasing your food intake? Or have you done nothing different and all of a sudden are losing weight? If so, I would definately see a doctor and get some bloodwork done, just to see if you're not connecting all the dots with your diet.
#6 Old 09-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm. good plan. all good points. i juuuuust went to the doctor, but i might make another app.
I like the idea of just going by clothes and how you feel ( which is admittedly sometimes great and sometimes not, but i think that's just being human!) , key point to take away from this and glad at least some people exist that think logically about weight etc etc rather than being driven by numbers
Tracking calories might be a good idea too but I thought that varied from individual to individual as well?
#7 Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie25 View Post

Tracking calories might be a good idea too but I thought that varied from individual to individual as well?

you are right, it does vary depending on individual facts, the trackers online do take these differences into account by factoring in your height, activity levels, gender etc. into determining your personal needs

http://www.sparkpeople.com/

http://www.fitday.com/
#8 Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 AM

I don't trust in BMI, it depends from how you are... I dunno how to explain lol... I mean If you are naturally thin but healthy that's the important thing!
#9 Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I mean If you are naturally thin but healthy that's the important thing!

Exactly

I dont know exactly what my BMI is but ive been told for my height and such i need to gain 1.5stone to be at my 'healthy' weight and I think that im fine just how i am. Im not so skinny that bones stick out sort of thing, I have podgey bits, and I sure as hell aint gaining almost 2 stone!
#10 Old 09-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Goth Alice, that's great to know! I spose it's all relative.
A client at work the other day (who's schizophrenic and comes out with random things often) told me I didn't belong there and looked like I needed medical help asap, but I was assured by a coworker that wasn't the case and that he'd actually thought when he met me that I was the picture of health. I guess grains of salt must be taken with everybody's personal view since it depends on what they're used to etc.

I did go to the doctor though, am having blood tests next week (horrified. dreading it. was actually meant to on Friday but was too scared..) but the doctor said it was double checking because she felt my chest pains etc were just stress (which is bizarre since I've never been less stressed in my life! woo! ) . So that's good to know
#11 Old 09-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

And she wasn't concerned that I'm about to miss my second consecutive period, because she felt that it was 'just how it happened with some people' , which is also good to know. When I was at a lower weight than this (and WAS stressed. no money, too much work, too much school etc) I was still pretty regular so this is a tad odd if it's stress, but i guess it's like hse said. Bodies just do things sometimes.
#12 Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

If you are really concerned about your body composition is it possible to do an air or water displacement test?

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page