Anyone not dieting/health conscious with food choices? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on here not watching what I eat. (Beyond eliminating animal products, that is.) Prove me wrong. Non-health conscious veg*ns, you must be here somewhere!

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

I try to eat healthy, but I can't live without chocolate among other things. So, yeah I usually have chocolate in some form everyday. Also made some delicious chocolate chip banana bread the other day. I've been eating a slice for breakfast everyday.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#3 Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

The word "dieting" in your title is confusing: Do you mean trying to lose weight via diet? I'm not, however I do strive to eat healthily. I eat chocolate too as I can limit myself to small quantities of it (wasn't always the case). I eat the dark, non dairy variety. It is said to be healthy and an anti-depressant. I have found that to be true, at least for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

You're right, that's probably not the best way to put it. What I initially was going to comment on was how many people on here seem be interested in various 'diets', including raw, macrobiotic, etc. But then I started thinking about how even people on here who don't prescribe to a particular diet tend to be very conscious about what they eat, often eschewing most processed foods and other various things that they deem unhealthy. It makes sense because many people go veg at least in part for health reasons but I'm curious how many others on here are more relaxed about food, thinking primarily about enjoyment rather than about health when they eat.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#5 Old 06-11-2010, 02:29 AM
C.J

Well, I don't diet. I eat nothing but junk really. These last few days, my diet has been cake and white bread :P
#6 Old 06-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't! I eat what it feels good to be eating at the time. Mostly I have awesome stirfries and kale and peaches and things. Sometimes I have all-dressed Ruffles. Haters gonna hate.
#7 Old 06-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I enjoy eating heathy and learning about new and delicious things to tuck into my daily menus, not sure where that falls in all of that..lol
#8 Old 06-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Banned

I don't think you can equate dieting with being health conscious. I'm not dieting, but I'm extremely health conscious. When I was doing MMA I had to weigh out my food and really get into learning what was good for me plus things like correct portion size. After eating so extremely healthy for so long, a lot of the junk just doesn't taste as good anymore. So yea, I'm not weighing food and stuff now, but I still love eating healthy. Though I admit that I'm a chip fiend and can get down with some dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Oh, and ramen (>_<) it's such delicious trashy food.
#9 Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=LabileLotus]I don't think you can equate dieting with being health conscious. I'm not dieting, but I'm extremely health conscious. When I was doing MMA I had to weigh out my food and really get into learning what was good for me plus things like correct portion size. After eating so extremely healthy for so long, a lot of the junk just doesn't taste as good anymore. So yea, I'm not weighing food and stuff now, but I still love eating healthy. Though I admit that I'm a chip fiend and can get down with some dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Oh, and ramen (>_<) it's such delicious trashy food.[QUOTE]

We have much in common.
#10 Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
made some delicious chocolate chip banana bread the other day.

ok, I need this recipe!!

Quote:
Though I admit that I'm a chip fiend and can get down with some dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Oh, and ramen (>_<) it's such delicious trashy food.

LOL that ^^

But although I haven't "dieted" in years, I have been eating more and more raw lately. For me it's mostly fruits and veggies.

Atame.
#11 Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not eating for weight loss, I'm eating to maintain my weight. But I strive to eat as healthfully as possible. Not because I'm afraid of weight gain so much (there is a bit, I used to be more than twice the man I am now so I watch it carefully), but by eating healthfully you simply feel physically and mentally better.
#12 Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not dieting or restricting calories, but I am health conscious.
#13 Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 AM
VCN
Beginner

I make an effort to eat healthily, but I do junk food once in a while. I'm not trying to lose weight. I feel there are moral reasons to try and eat healthily and educate yourself about your food, and not just for the animals.
#14 Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I eat healthy for the most part. But, we made lemon cupcakes with a blueberry compote and they're amazing. So, i watch what i eat but i definitely eat things that have high calories. I just eat them in moderation. I also restrict my calorie intake for the most part. But, i do love me some evilness at times.

The Big Bad.
#15 Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 AM

I eat a mix of junk and healthy stuff. I had been trying to lose some weight that I gained on a medication last year but I lost some weight and then the rest stuck so I gave up. Ironically I stood on the scales today and I have lost a few more lb's without trying.

I have made a pledge to myself that I am going to have a green smoothie or fresh fruit smoothie everyday from now on though. I still can't be bothered with the weight loss or "diet" angle anymore. It's more a health thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

I eat healthy for the most part. But, we made lemon cupcakes with a blueberry compote and they're amazing.

They sound gorgeous.
#16 Old 06-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

As w/ anything else, the more good you add leaves less room for the bad. Then there's really not much need to worry about it anymore.
#17 Old 06-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

As w/ anything else, the more good you add leaves less room for the bad. Then there's really not much need to worry about it anymore.

True. Because of this mentality, my serial killings have gone WAY down. People are thankful.

The Big Bad.
#18 Old 06-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

True. Because of this mentality, my serial killings have gone WAY down. People are thankful.

See, there ya go. Keep up the good work!
#19 Old 06-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not dieting because "dieting" doesn't work..instead I simply live a healthy lifestyle every day. Plenty of whole grains, water instead of soda, working out six days a week etc.

Tam! RUGH!
#20 Old 06-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I eat healthy for the most part. But, we made lemon cupcakes with a blueberry compote and they're amazing.

Mmmmmmm... invite me over.

I'm about to make a rhubarb-strawberry crisp (or crumble) to take to a potluck with coconut-tofu creme.
#21 Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Banned

I edited the title for you to avoid more confused people stumbling in!

I eat what I feel like eating and don't worry much about calories. My actual meals are usually healthy and my most commonly used ingredients are spinach, cabbage and potato. I also eat a lot of fruit. Starchy carbs are my weakness, I eat too much bread, white rice and crisps (potato chips).
#22 Old 06-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Beginner

I try to eat healthy too, but that is not always the case. I find myself loving those loaves of white french bread smoothered with peanut butter, haha, or crunchy potato chips. YUMMMMMM
#23 Old 06-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Beginner

I don't diet, but I am definately health conscious. I eat three meals a day, now snacks. When I do have dessert, I have made it myself so I know what's in it. But I have been known to indulge in sour kids now and then. Much less than I used to because I have developped less of a hankering for them.
#24 Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't diet either anymore, but am much more aware of what I put in me.....love whole grains and veggies.....but I have a container of Vegan choc chip cookies on my counter that call my name every bkft, lunch and dinner....can't wait till the darn things are gone! That's why there is usually no junk food in the house, because I do have a hard time containing myself; but am enjoying them while they are there.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#25 Old 06-15-2010, 10:57 PM
mlp
Banned

I don't watch what I eat. I eat what I want and as much as I want, within my ethical choices. I don't like store bought junk food - very, very rarely will I have a taste for chips or a soda. Also don't much like convenience foods, but I do very much like my own cooking and baking.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have to stay at 500 calories or so to maintain myself at a size 4 (I did that for some years), but I can eat freely and not deviate from my current weight. I like food, and I'm healthy, so I've made my choice.
#26 Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to make healthy choices about 80% of the time and eat whatever I want 20% of the time. A lot of it has to do with the food in my fridge. Like, right now, my fridge is full of baking my roommate has been doing in school, so I had a cinnamon bun for breakfast, chocolate scone with lunch and pecan pie for dessert with dinner.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#27 Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist' date='11 June 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1276226430' post='2656323 View Post

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on here not watching what I eat. (Beyond eliminating animal products, that is.) Prove me wrong. Non-health conscious veg*ns, you must be here somewhere!

Sign me up! I had gelato for lunch and a damned fine lunch it was, too.

I eat what I want, when I want, and give in to all cravings and continued to eat those craved foods until I am done. I actually ending up eating in a fairly healthily, compared to most Aussies, because my body generally craves spinach or mandarins over gelato (which is a damned rare craving for me, (or tofu and rice noodles. But if I want hot chips with vinegar for dinner, dammit, that's what I eat. Oddly enough, this non-diet seems to keep me pretty slim and healthy.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#28 Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to watch what I eat, else I might miss.

Really though, while I avoid things that make me feel unhealthy, I will eat other things without paying any attention to nutrients or unhealthy things they contain. As it pertains to weight, mine never strays outside of 60-65kg regardless.
#29 Old 06-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Vegetarian, for me, has always meant strict, (no lacto/ovo) and healthy was implied. I dropped 20 lbs. easily in the beginning months, then maintaining, but still would like to lose 10 more. Now comfortably vegan, I've learned so much good cooking and baking, I find it almost as hard as before, except my sweet cravings have really lessened.

I try and keep it healthy. For a while it was really hard, keeping my kids tastes in mind. Now most dinners are dark green, grain, bean or lentil, and other veg.

Last sat. I made bread and cupcakes and had little else but fruit.

I have dark chocolate every weekday, but only a couple squares after lunch.

I have quit pop and all artificial sweetener. That stuff is disgusting once you're off it!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#30 Old 06-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva' date='30 June 2010 - 07:01 AM' timestamp='1277841670' post='2666367 View Post

Vegetarian, for me, has always meant strict, (no lacto/ovo) and healthy was implied.

Healthy is not always implied, though. You can be a strict vegan and live off nothing but chips and beer. That's not healthful for sure.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page