Anyone not dieting/health conscious with food choices? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz' date='29 June 2010 - 06:18 PM' timestamp='1277849910' post='2666452 View Post

Healthy is not always implied, though. You can be a strict vegan and live off nothing but chips and beer. That's not healthful for sure.

When I was growing up, being a vegetarian was explained as a fanactically healthy and hard to maintain diet. That was mostly due to the reasoning of "food combining". If it didn't seem so unobtainable, I probably could of stuck with it. Now I realize (full well) how silly that is.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Beginner

I eat whatever I want...and the REASON I can do this is because I have no desire for highly proccessed, sugar (or atrificial sweetener) filled, additive pumped junk! My general rule is: If it doesnt compose ENTIRELY of things from nature I dont want it in me!

I adore fruits and veg so I go crazy and never deny myself the things I love hehe
#33 Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Banned

I try to eat healthy but sometimes I think 'sod it' and have something really unhealthy. Especially when I'm depressed.

Hell, I just had an energy drink...and they're full of crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-08-2010, 03:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not worried at all about what I eat. I don't eat refined carbs often anyway, prefer wholemeal for taste. The exception is white basmati rice, which I have about once a month. Brown pasta is nicer too. Again, though only once a month-ish. And as I've recently cut out all the bad stuff (meat, dairy etc.,) I'm assuming my body is in a better state now than six months ago!
#35 Old 07-08-2010, 04:24 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OatsFix' date='08 July 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1278569054' post='2670626 View Post

I eat whatever I want...and the REASON I can do this is because I have no desire for highly proccessed, sugar (or atrificial sweetener) filled, additive pumped junk! My general rule is: If it doesnt compose ENTIRELY of things from nature I dont want it in me!

I adore fruits and veg so I go crazy and never deny myself the things I love hehe

I am exactly the same I eat as much as I want whenever I want, but it just so happens to be good stuff.
#36 Old 07-09-2010, 02:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayschild' date='08 July 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1278584664' post='2670695 View Post

I am exactly the same I eat as much as I want whenever I want, but it just so happens to be good stuff.

Its great isnt it!?

And I pretty much am CONSTANTLY nibbling on some delicious morsel of food and people are like "HOW do you stay so skinny!? You're ALWAYS eating!"

But is it REALLY that hard for them to figure it out...? lol. Silly people...its gonna be pretty damn hard for me to be anything BUT skinny off fruit + veg
#37 Old 07-09-2010, 05:57 AM

If healthy eating were one of the covenants of being vegan, I would be out. I follow the Greek wisdom that “moderation is best in all things
#38 Old 07-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

In all honesty, it just baffles me why people desire not to eat what is truly best for them in the first place. People seem to eat healthy (or what they think is) most of the time, and then "treat" themselves to Oreos, cakes, Coke, and other junk. "Oh I've been so good today. I'm going to help myself to half this box of cookies and a large Coca Cola." They take a few steps forward and a couple large leaps back. No, having these foods some of the time is not going to kill you, but they don't do anything good for your body. While people might enjoy the taste, I can assure you that refined sugars and carbs do nothing to make you feel well, physically or emotionally. Again, I'm not saying it's wrong to have junk once in a while, just that it really does your body more harm than good in any amount.
#39 Old 07-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog' date='10 July 2010 - 11:41 AM' timestamp='1278776482' post='2671734 View Post

In all honesty, it just baffles me why people desire not to eat what is truly best for them in the first place. People seem to eat healthy (or what they think is) most of the time, and then "treat" themselves to Oreos, cakes, Coke, and other junk. "Oh I've been so good today. I'm going to help myself to half this box of cookies and a large Coca Cola." They take a few steps forward and a couple large leaps back. No, having these foods some of the time is not going to kill you, but they don't do anything good for your body. While people might enjoy the taste, I can assure you that refined sugars and carbs do nothing to make you feel well, physically or emotionally. Again, I'm not saying it's wrong to have junk once in a while, just that it really does your body more harm than good in any amount.

Probably because some of us put taste before health.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#40 Old 07-10-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog' date='10 July 2010 - 11:41 AM' timestamp='1278776482' post='2671734 View Post

Pleasure
#41 Old 07-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

What the last two posters said.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#42 Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I figured that was the reason, but that's exactly what confuses me. Why people wouldn't put their quality of life before satisfying their taste buds. Ah well, I guess we all have different priorities in life.
#43 Old 07-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog' date='11 July 2010 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1278814193' post='2671963 View Post

Well I figured that was the reason, but that's exactly what confuses me. Why people wouldn't put their quality of life before satisfying their taste buds. Ah well, I guess we all have different priorities in life.

That's just it, satisfying my taste buds leads to a fantastic quality of life faster and surer than my cholesterol count does. I'm lucky, though, I prefer peaches over chocolate, spicy lentils over deep fried corn jacks, but life has no quality for me, no matter how healthy I may be, if my stomach and palate are not happy.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#44 Old 07-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I consume a lot of chocolate malts. I try to eat healthy, but I'm addicted to sugar. I can't help myself
#45 Old 07-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz' date='10 July 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1278814449' post='2671964 View Post

That's just it, satisfying my taste buds leads to a fantastic quality of life faster and surer than my cholesterol count does. I'm lucky, though, I prefer peaches over chocolate, spicy lentils over deep fried corn jacks, but life has no quality for me, no matter how healthy I may be, if my stomach and palate are not happy.

You've got it right on, that's exactly the way it should be. If people just quit eating all the junk and ate more good stuff, they would lose their taste for the junk and prefer the good stuff. That way our taste buds are happy AND our cholesterol levels are in check. All of the artificial sweeteners, MSG and salt have ruined people's taste buds. Like they eat a banana or a mango and it tate bland to them. I used to eat a LOT of junk, and I also used to weigh well over three hundred pounds. But I've since completely lost my taste for candies, cakes, dairy, and fried foods in favor of fruits and vegetables. People with mouthfuls of Doritos look at us like we're crazy for choking all the veggies down, but it's not like that. I actually crave all the spinach, kale, and brussel sprouts!
#46 Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog' date='11 July 2010 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1278899767' post='2672416 View Post

You've got it right on, that's exactly the way it should be. If people just quit eating all the junk and ate more good stuff, they would lose their taste for the junk and prefer the good stuff. That way our taste buds are happy AND our cholesterol levels are in check.

Not everyone has the money to buy the "good stuff" or the time to prepare it well. Eating good food is important, but it isn't simple and easy. It takes a big investment, and the investment has to be made over and over every day. For some people, it's too overwhelming to begin. I can completely understand that. I have every advantage in the world - I know how to cook, I have a lot of cookbooks, I have a nice kitchen with plenty of instruments and counter space, I have enough money to afford the ingredients I need, I live two blocks from a huge supermarket in one direction and a health food store in the other, I have no children and only one job - and even I sometimes say "f*** it" and grab a veggie burger and fries on the way home. Eating well is freaking hard.

Even if it weren't, frankly, I don't feel that a life without all-dressed Ruffles is worth living.
#47 Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious' date='12 July 2010 - 03:36 AM' timestamp='1278923778' post='2672495 View Post

Not everyone has the money to buy the "good stuff" or the time to prepare it well. Eating good food is important, but it isn't simple and easy. It takes a big investment, and the investment has to be made over and over every day. For some people, it's too overwhelming to begin. I can completely understand that. I have every advantage in the world - I know how to cook, I have a lot of cookbooks, I have a nice kitchen with plenty of instruments and counter space, I have enough money to afford the ingredients I need, I live two blocks from a huge supermarket in one direction and a health food store in the other, I have no children and only one job - and even I sometimes say "f*** it" and grab a veggie burger and fries on the way home. Eating well is freaking hard.

Even if it weren't, frankly, I don't feel that a life without all-dressed Ruffles is worth living.

I know what you mean. But eating ideally and just eating better are two different things. Like the difference between having everything being fresh and organic or just cutting out junk food in favor of real food. I definately hear you on how it can be time consuming and expensive. I experience that big time. On the other hand, you could choose to buy a pound of bananas for $.49-$.79 cents a pound, or a single Snicker's bar for $1.19-$1.79. But I would say you are still entitled to your occasional bag of Ruffles and veggie burger and fries.
#48 Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't consider eating well hard, though. If it's just who you are/what you aspire to be, it's as easy and as subconscious as breathing. I shop in the produce section. Nothing else really looks like food to me.
#49 Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog' date='12 July 2010 - 11:47 AM' timestamp='1278949665' post='2672601 View Post

But I would say you are still entitled to your occasional bag of Ruffles and veggie burger and fries.

Yeah, it just depends on the person and what they want.
#50 Old 07-14-2010, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79' date='12 July 2010 - 11:57 AM' timestamp='1278950250' post='2672605 View Post

I don't consider eating well hard, though. If it's just who you are/what you aspire to be, it's as easy and as subconscious as breathing. I shop in the produce section. Nothing else really looks like food to me.

I wish I was at that point! Usually I find it really easy, and I love vegetables and fruit. But you can't deny that if you're not used to that way of eating, it takes a lot of time to re-train yourself.
#51 Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious' date='14 July 2010 - 08:21 AM' timestamp='1279110095' post='2673532 View Post

But you can't deny that if you're not used to that way of eating, it takes a lot of time to re-train yourself.

Probably different for everybody and what you define as "a lot of time." It took me about 2 weeks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page