Does anyone here have problems keeping weight on? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-06-2010, 12:15 PM
VCN
Beginner

I have always had problems keeping weight on, even before I went vegetarian, and was wondering if anyone else is the same.

For a long time my weight has hovered in the low area of healthy for someone my size (according to the BMI scale, which I know is not always accurate). It's become a bit more difficult to maintain a healthy weight since I went veg, but still not what i would call really difficult. Then I moved in with my celiac boyfriend and suddenly it's a struggle to stay in the healthy weight range. I periodically use websites like SparkPeople and FitDay(thank you random person who linked FitDay on here, by the way) to spot places where my diet has slipped (I do run low on protein a sometimes, and since I moved in with my boyfriend I tend to run low on calories too, even though I eat whenever I'm hungry and certainly don't starve myself). I do recognize that it's mismanaging my diet that causes a lot of my recent weight problems, and I'm trying to straighten that out. My boyfriend has lost some weight also, which was good at first but looks like it might be getting into the bad area now. But, as I mentioned before, my body hasn't ever been very good at retaining weight. I suppose it's the opposite of most other people's weight problems.

I suspect that a lot of our problems could be fixed if we could afford to keep unsalted nuts around more often (calories ho!) Lol. Anyhow, it's not a cry for help or anything, I was just wondering if anyone has similar problems. I bring it up with my family occasionally, but all they generally tell me is to eat ice cream and french fries: not good advice to a health nut like me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you do some weight resistance exercises?

I wouldn't recommend nuts or higher fat foods in excess, unless you want any weight you put on to be fat. Better off with muscle if you can. (hence the working out and getting enough calories, 50 g. protein per day is plenty).
#3 Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't recommend nuts or higher fat foods in excess, unless you want any weight you put on to be fat. Better off with muscle if you can. (hence the working out and getting enough calories, 50 g. protein per day is plenty).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-06-2010, 12:46 PM
VCN
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Hadn't considered weight resistance exercises. I did weights training in high school, and being that I was a stereotypical wimpy girl and a lot of high school experiences are not so fantastic, it really made me averse to the idea of weight training for a long time. My boyfriend has actually been saying he thinks I should do that too.

As for fat... I don't gain fat. I mean, seriously. I'm pretty health conscious, and I do check my fat intake on FitDay (when I use it) because I know excess fat intake can cause a lot of health problems even if you don't gain weight from it. But even before then, it never happened. A lot of my more advice-giving relatives are overweight, which is why I don't take their advice. This sort of body type runs in my family, by the way. I have a relative with this body type who eats basically whatever she wants and never gains anything. She has hyperthyroidism though, which I don't test positive for

Anyhow, back to the weights. We actually have a set of exercise weights where I'm living now, so I'll look into that. We'll see if I can do it without killing my knees this time.
#5 Old 06-17-2010, 03:23 AM
Beginner

In my life Ive gone from being overweight...to dangerously underweight.

These days its a serious physical and emotional battle trying to put weight on. I wont go into details but lets just say I now consider myself recovered from an eating disorder (though I believe those sort of things will always be somewhere in the back of my mind for life )

My problem now is I am an absolute health food FREAK! And it sounds like you are too so, Hi, lets me friends hehe

I dont choose healthy food options because I want to control my weight, I choose them because its genuinly what I LOVE the most!! Honestly, I live, love and THRIVE off fruits and veg, to me it beats junk food anyday Aaaah, seriously, I eat like crazy, aaall day long and I dont put on the slightest bit of weight because all the foods im choosing are healthy options! People always comment on the fact that I seem to have a lot of self control and discipline to eat like that...NOPE, NOT AT ALL because its what I seriously want to have :]

Soooo concequently, improving my low weight is TOUGH! I hate when people say "ohhh its not hard, just eat some chips"...NO...I HONESTLY DONT WANT CHIPS HAHA! So I try to always keep a good supply of nuts and seeds on hand to get my omega 3, but its still hard, I have the same problem as you with meeting calorie requirements too

Oh and just for the record, im not saying this to "show off my good diet" or whatever, or to get attention! Im just contributing Im sorry I really cant be of any help to you, but atleast you're not the only one

Good luck
#6 Old 06-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCN' date='06 June 2010 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1275848151' post='2652644 View Post

I have always had problems keeping weight on, even before I went vegetarian, and was wondering if anyone else is the same.

Aye, I 'suffer' that too VCN. I have lived most of my life on the 'not enough fat' end of the bmi scale.

Not wanting to be too lavatorial but I think I have one of those super fast metabolisms that just shifts whatever I put in one end out of the other in 24 hours or less.

The only trick I ever found was to consume very large amounts of carbohydrates and vegetarian based fats and oils.

You look young from your avatar and I guess you would be worried about long term health affects as a self confessed health nut?

My own health is not helped by the fact that I smoke twenty+ a day and drink alchohol above the recomended limits. Also that being a self employed single parent I am permanently under a lot of stress.

Despite that I was still fit enough to take my karate black belt at age 47 and go toe-to-toe against twenty-something year olds in tournaments. I could still easily swim a mile freestyle at 48 too.

Not saying that just to 'blow my own trumpet' (though I am quite vain about it, admittedly). More that that is all I can offer from personal experience as to the long term effects of a hi-carb hi-fat vegan diet.

I'm 50 as of last Friday and, despite finaly being able carry a little bit of a middle aged spread, I still struggle to hit 12 stone and my weight can plummet in a few days only if I stop eating like a horse btw.
#7 Old 06-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Beginner

I have a LOT of trouble gaining weight and keeping it. Over the past couple of years I have lost a lot of weight due to a medical problem and have become underweight. I have not been able to gain it back, its happening very slowly. Personally, I find that 'junky' calories do nothing at all, except make me feel crappy. So, I try to eat a lot of whole grains, brown rice, oats, barley, sprouted/wholegrain bread, good healthy carbs and proteins like beans, plenty of fruit, healthy fats like nut spreads and cooking with good olive oils, and eat at the first sign of hunger, don't let your stomach rumble. Appreciate and chew every mouthful well, chew heaps, it helps your body to use the nutrients more efficiently. Its also a good idea to carry a decent snack with you at all times such as a lara bar, though i'm not super keen on packaged foods, but lara bars don't rate too badly compared to the alternatives, and they are an easy 200 cal
#8 Old 06-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCN' date='06 June 2010 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1275850004' post='2652673 View Post

Hadn't considered weight resistance exercises. I did weights training in high school, and being that I was a stereotypical wimpy girl and a lot of high school experiences are not so fantastic, it really made me averse to the idea of weight training for a long time. My boyfriend has actually been saying he thinks I should do that too.

As for fat... I don't gain fat. I mean, seriously. I'm pretty health conscious, and I do check my fat intake on FitDay (when I use it) because I know excess fat intake can cause a lot of health problems even if you don't gain weight from it. But even before then, it never happened. A lot of my more advice-giving relatives are overweight, which is why I don't take their advice. This sort of body type runs in my family, by the way. I have a relative with this body type who eats basically whatever she wants and never gains anything. She has hyperthyroidism though, which I don't test positive for

Anyhow, back to the weights. We actually have a set of exercise weights where I'm living now, so I'll look into that. We'll see if I can do it without killing my knees this time.

Even if you think your (if it is) high or medium fat diet isn't affecting you by you gaining weight, it will definitely affect your cells and also.....what do you think, if not muscle, is surrounding your bones and joints?

I have heard of a lot of people losing weight and saying they appear "skinny" afterwards and that they "lost muscle" from their vegetarian or raw diet....it's because they had a lot of fat before that they assumed was muscle, they don't exercise and resistance-work, and apparently don't understand the difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page