Vegan Macrobiotic - The Kind Diet, Et Al - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Among other things, I also recently read The Kind Diet and got the idea to commit to vegan macrobiotic with it in mind. Today is only day 2 and I swear I already feel a difference. I am going to be away from home a lot this weekend and on a road trip the next so I am not sure how well I will be able to keep to the macrobiotic principles. I sure am going to try though! What stage are you all at in the process?

Other books I have found helpful are This Crazy Vegan Life, by Christina Pirello and The Macrobiotic Diet, by Michio Kuchi. The latter is rather esoteric but is the originator of the movement. I found it online here. Next on my list is The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics, by Jessica Porter.

I can't wait to hear your experiences here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I too read The Kind Diet and got interested in macrobiotics. I was doing really well with it until I went on vacation and then moved. I felt noticeably worse when I fell off the macrobiotics wagon and now that we're settled in I'm back on and feeling great! I still have a lot to learn about it and plan on picking up some of the books you mentioned!
#3 Old 06-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Also, how are the recipes in This Crazy Vegan Life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I have The Kind Diet, too. I've only tried one recipe from it but I really liked the book. I considered going macrobiotic, but then I got interested in raw stuff instead. In winter, when not a lot of fresh produce is available and it's f*****g cold, I might switch over to that. But during the summer it's so hot and humid I barely want to eat cooked stuff anyway.
#5 Old 06-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

In fact, Clarita, macrobiotics thinks just this way! In summer you would eat foods that are more cooling to the body, conversely denser foods in winter. Eating seasonally not only because the food is fresher but because the body does best this way. I think that makes so much sense.
#6 Old 06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been thinking more in this direction lately. I'm going to order some of these books.
#7 Old 06-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Seriously, the whole grains are keeping me more filled up than ever. I have not even been trying not to snack all day and it has been effortless.
#8 Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

OK, so this thread was the nudge I needed. I just ordered The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics by Jessica Porter and Mayumi's Kitchen: Macrobiotic Cooking for Body and Soul by Mayumi Nishimura
#9 Old 06-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I have it, and it's very interesting but at the same time I can't help but think that the recipies look a little bland. Especially the deserts.
#10 Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

OK, so this thread was the nudge I needed. I just ordered The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics by Jessica Porter and Mayumi's Kitchen: Macrobiotic Cooking for Body and Soul by Mayumi Nishimura

WOO HOOOO!!!!! I am soooo happy to have someone starting out fresh with it like I am! Please do tell how you like the books.
#11 Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, my quinoa turned out way too mushy. Still tastes great tho so I will eat it anyway. Hoisin bok choy will be done soon. Smells good. These brown grains taste so delicious to me. Do you think it is possible that my body was craving the nutrition in them all along?
#12 Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Beginner

I am very interested in macrobiotics and have been trying to eat that way often, I find it hard to stick to it religiously, esp with the fruits. I must say that even with only my toe dipped in the water of macrobiotics I can feel a difference.
#13 Old 06-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeVegChick View Post

Okay, my quinoa turned out way too mushy. Still tastes great tho so I will eat it anyway. Hoisin bok choy will be done soon. Smells good. These brown grains taste so delicious to me. Do you think it is possible that my body was craving the nutrition in them all along?

Are you adding salt/sauces to them?
#14 Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Too much water in the quinoa, I think. Did it in a pressure cooker and it looks like instead of 1:2 it should've been 1:1.5. Oh well. Still tastes amazing. I love the texture, too. My first time, can ya tell?
#15 Old 06-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Too much water in the quinoa, I think. Did it in a pressure cooker and it looks like instead of 1:2 it should've been 1:1.5. Oh well. Still tastes amazing. I love the texture, too. My first time, can ya tell?

I'm a huge quinoa fan. My omni husband loves it too. So, so yummy... In fact, that's on the menu for tonight!

Glad you found something you're loving!
#16 Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

id like to talk to someone who knows about macrobiotics very well and ask why tomatoes and eggplant are off limits. i dont get it.
#17 Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleSau View Post

id like to talk to someone who knows about macrobiotics very well and ask why tomatoes and eggplant are off limits. i dont get it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_111734421/

Definitely one thing I will struggle with as tomatoes and peppers are some of my favorites. There's a lot in my garden now so I'll be eating them till the end of the summer most likely. I'll probably just try to reduce my intake...
#18 Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I will also simply reduce my intake of nightshades and try to focus on leafy greens etc. Right now, a pot of miso morning broth is in progress. Smells so fortifying in here!
#19 Old 06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Admittedly, I know nothing about this. No tomatoes, eggplants or peppers would be hard!!! It would probably be better for me though because I've read that they are bad w/ people w/ arthritis and that's me. I'm married to an italian though and those are key ingredients in his life...hmmm I think I'll have to order some books to wrap my head around this whole concept.
#20 Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Just made a sweet porridge of sorts from last night's too mushy quinoa. What a good save! Even sliced strawberry on top. I like using up ingredients before they go bad. Makes me happy.
#21 Old 06-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Just made a sweet porridge of sorts from last night's too mushy quinoa. What a good save! Even sliced strawberry on top. I like using up ingredients before they go bad. Makes me happy.

I've read here that people use it for porridge. Much better for you than oatmeal or cream of wheat because it's a higher protien type thing. Sounds yummy w/ strawberries!
#22 Old 06-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, I'm totally trying to look this up, but I'm so sleepy, could someone please explain the basic principles of a macrobiotic diet? My interest is piqued.
#23 Old 06-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I am craving sweets today. Don't think I have my protein balance right. I'm gonna make some tofu tonight.
#24 Old 06-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Yally, it's basically a way of eating that focuses on "balance." You base your diet around grains (particularly brown rice), and then add in vegetables, beans, miso, sea vegetables, and small amounts of other foods. Grains are considered the most important and to be very grounding.

I think it's good, except for its lack of fruit, and that it seems like way too much grain. But then again, it's basically the traditional Japanese diet (not the one they seem to eat now, for sure!), and they're pretty long lived, so there must be something to it.
#25 Old 06-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmm, nope this wouldn't be for me then. I try to keep my grains to a minimum. I think I'm headed more toward raw if I can do it while keeping my hypoglycemia in check.
#26 Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

hmmm, nope this wouldn't be for me then. I try to keep my grains to a minimum. I think I'm headed more toward raw if I can do it while keeping my hypoglycemia in check.

Can I ask you why you keep the grains to a minimum, Treehugger? I'm just curious. Some people grains just don't sit well with, and some think they are simply incredibly bad for you. Personally I eat quite a lot of them. Quinoa, brown rice, kamut, amaranth, wheat, oats, you name it. But I really try to be open minded about other people's opinions on things.
#27 Old 06-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not that I don't like them, I do, but I'm trying to go raw right now. But even before that, whenever I eat grain type things, I put on weight. I can eat twice as much of the other stuff and not. I used to save things like sandwiches or pasta as a treat on the weekend.
#28 Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

You know.. I had NO IDEA what macrobiotic was. Years ago thought it was just eating certain foods and not heating them past a certain degree (slightly higher than what is considered "raw.")

But then I saw this thread, and I thought I should really look into it because I had never bothered to learn about it. Then I figured maybe Wikipedia could help me...

Wikipedia says "Nightshade vegetables, including tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant; also spinach, beets and avocados are not recommended, or used sparingly at most, in macrobiotic cooking, as they are considered extremely yin. Fruits ... may be enjoyed occasionally, 2-3 times per week."

And I said, "Hell to the no."

I have no idea how anyone would manage that. Fruit only 2-3 times a week, no spinach, tomatoes, beets, peppers, or avocados? That sounds literally like torture to me.

It is fascinating how different people's dietary preferences and tastes are, though. My idea of torture is someone's idea of paradise!
#29 Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm following macrobiotics more loosely than all this. I am trying to balance my meals with whole grains, veg, protein, etc. Eating seasonally, keeping in mind pairing denser foods with their counterparts, chewing thoroughly, and adding sea vegetables are all things I've been incorporating.
#30 Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

You know.. I had NO IDEA what macrobiotic was. Years ago thought it was just eating certain foods and not heating them past a certain degree (slightly higher than what is considered "raw.")

But then I saw this thread, and I thought I should really look into it because I had never bothered to learn about it. Then I figured maybe Wikipedia could help me...

Wikipedia says "Nightshade vegetables, including tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant; also spinach, beets and avocados are not recommended, or used sparingly at most, in macrobiotic cooking, as they are considered extremely yin. Fruits ... may be enjoyed occasionally, 2-3 times per week."

And I said, "Hell to the no."

I have no idea how anyone would manage that. Fruit only 2-3 times a week, no spinach, tomatoes, beets, peppers, or avocados? That sounds literally like torture to me.

It is fascinating how different people's dietary preferences and tastes are, though. My idea of torture is someone's idea of paradise!

Kind of my reaction, too. But since it is based on the Japanese way of eating and I do live in Japan, I might try to follow it somewhat in the winter to see if it helps me get through the Japanese winter without wanting to kill everyone I see...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page