What stops overweight people from losing weight? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

There are some overweight people who love it, and eat food without concern over their health/appearance and there are others who do not like their appearance.

Given there is so much information available about healthy diets, exercise etc these days, why is it that overweight people who want to lose weight, don't lose weight but also complain about their weight knowing that it comes down to diet and exercise?

This is something I've never really understood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Overweight people have superior metabolisms, slow and efficient ones that used to be vital for survival during famines and seasons in which there was very little food available. This means they can often be eating lots fewer calories than thin people with faster metabolisms, and will either maintain their weight, or even gain.

Modern times have ushered in processed foods, with such low nutrient to calorie ratios people can become malnourished on 4000 to 5000 calories a day. You can thank the manufactured "food" industry for this, and its powerful marketing schemes, that start getting children addicted to candy for breakfast in the form of highly processed and sugared breakfast "cereals", and continue to convince them they need even more crap as teenagers. It's a lot more complicated than simply eating less and moving more, for those of you who enjoy demonizing the obese. Try gaining 100 pounds and then losing it again before you judge the overweight for lack of willpower.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 05-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the answer is different in each case. My father was very over weight and didn't lose until he had several major health scares. Sadly, it was too late healthwise at that point. It's because of this lesson that I try to educate people on good nutrition and exercise. You're right, they don't always listen. I believe some people have food adictions and use food to comfort themselves, just like people use alcohol or drugs. Some fall victim to ttraditions and find it hard to leave that comfort zone. Our society is based around food, often bad food, and it can be hard to not to cave to the social pressure to just say no and eat right. It's life changing when the choice is made and it's hard to change one's life. Then there are others that just don't have any idea what good nutrition is.

I think there is a lot of truth in what SomebodyElse says too. Our food has been ruined. You almost need a degree to get through the ingredient list on most popular foods. Very sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Same is true for all sorts of things - intoxicants, gambling, sex, etc. All those things are just as 'simple', often much more destructive for some people than being overweight.
#5 Old 05-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Well said, SomebodyElse. Take a look at any section of the US and you see McDonalds, Burger King and pizza joints on every corner. The food industry intentionally puts crap in the processed foods to make them more addicting, and our general population gets more and more overweight with each year it seems. Rather than demonize the overweight, let's demonize the big corporations who use every trick in the book to get people hooked on things that make them tons of money, instead of make us healthy. Of course there can be other factors too.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#6 Old 05-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Because working out and eating healthy isn't fun. That's why I haven't lost weight. I "want" to, in the same way I want red hair and to move to Paris and be a lounge singer. Yes I want it, but not as much as other things, and I only have so much energy/willpower.
#7 Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 PM

I think the OP was very rude. I'm obese but a lot of it is heredity. Yes heredity. I also have a food addiction which I'm currently trying to fix (now that I realize I have it). I have always wanted to lose weight. I tried Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers to no avail. My medicine that I was on for bipolar disorder caused me to eat in my sleep. A lot. So I gained nearly 100 pounds because of that. Now I have to work on losing weight even though the medicines available for bipolar disorder often cause massive weight gain and make it hard to lose weight.

It seems as though it's a no-win situation. But I've recently decided to go vegetarian for health reasons and to lose weight. I was a vegetarian for 2.5 years as a 16 year old and lost 45 pounds which was 17% of my body weight at the time. Now I'm looking to lose more like 57% of my body weight. This is my last chance to lose weight before I decide to go under the knife and get a gastric bypass. I have a lot riding on this vegetarian-lifestyle decision.
#8 Old 05-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Best of luck to you xdunlapx!!!

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#9 Old 05-15-2010, 09:58 PM

Thank you
#10 Old 05-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm overweight because I love to indulge in food that is bad for me. If I wanted to lose weight I suppose I could, but my love of food outweighs (GEDDIT? EH EH?) my love of being fit.

Quote:
Because working out and eating healthy isn't fun. That's why I haven't lost weight. I "want" to, in the same way I want red hair and to move to Paris and be a lounge singer. Yes I want it, but not as much as other things, and I only have so much energy/willpower.

QFT
#11 Old 05-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Beginner

I think for the most part is is a ugar and/or fat addiction or an emotional addiction. And a tough one at that. There are often other contributing factors as well.
#12 Old 05-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Beginner

Oops, double post, sorry!
#13 Old 05-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Banned

Tofusion, your post is pretty ignorant. Think about it man, honestly.
#14 Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Overweight people have superior metabolisms, slow and efficient ones that used to be vital for survival during famines and seasons in which there was very little food available. This means they can often be eating lots fewer calories than thin people with faster metabolisms, and will either maintain their weight, or even gain.

Aye, I have seen this so I believe it to be true.

Minor point of interest being the depiction of chubbiness in women being a thing of beauty in many ancient form of arts. Way it was explained to me was that in olden days a woman who could put on weight to maintain herself through the winters was an asset. No one wanted a skinny-***** missus as that could mean having to get a new one every spring.
#15 Old 05-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdunlapx View Post

I think the OP was very rude.

Somethings are almost impossible to put politey, in the OP's defence.

The assertion that it all comes down to diet and excercise may not be a popular one but it is correct. If that were not a fact that a sufficient reduction in calorie intake forces weight loss then the gastric bypass would not work.

Quote:
I'm obese but a lot of it is heredity. Yes heredity. I also have a food addiction which I'm currently trying to fix (now that I realize I have it). I have always wanted to lose weight. I tried Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers to no avail. My medicine that I was on for bipolar disorder caused me to eat in my sleep. A lot. So I gained nearly 100 pounds because of that. Now I have to work on losing weight even though the medicines available for bipolar disorder often cause massive weight gain and make it hard to lose weight.

It seems as though it's a no-win situation. But I've recently decided to go vegetarian for health reasons and to lose weight. I was a vegetarian for 2.5 years as a 16 year old and lost 45 pounds which was 17% of my body weight at the time. Now I'm looking to lose more like 57% of my body weight. This is my last chance to lose weight before I decide to go under the knife and get a gastric bypass. I have a lot riding on this vegetarian-lifestyle decision.

Anyways, what I really wanted to say ...

Looks to me like you know what you know what you have to do and that you have the 'balls' to do it. It's gonna be hard (I've seen how hard it is) you have my best wishes for success and my utmost respect.

Zen buddhist saying for you, btw. It's a simple one for the secret of coping with temporary setbacks when doing things that are very very hard: "If you fall down seven times then get up eight".
#16 Old 05-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not going to address tofusion's question. I'm pretty sure s/he just wants to start dramz, and anyone who's seen my previous posts on this subject knows my opinion.

What I am going to do is to point out, again, that there are overweight and obese people on this board. Talking about them as though they somehow exist outside of our community is incredibly demeaning, fatphobic, and offensive. Before posting a thread like this, take a moment to think about how it will make the vegetarians of size here feel. Don't talk about them as though they're some kind of interesting subject for debate. (That goes for everyone, not just tofusion.)
#17 Old 05-16-2010, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Tofusion; nearly every topic you post is somehow rude, offensive and/or unnecessary. Instead of stirring trouble just to get some attention, why not cultivate POSITIVE attributes that others would admire in you?

Your posts are getting more negative and immature as we go on..

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#18 Old 05-16-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:

My medicine that I was on for bipolar disorder caused me to eat in my sleep. A lot. So I gained nearly 100 pounds because of that. Now I have to work on losing weight even though the medicines available for bipolar disorder often cause massive weight gain and make it hard to lose weight.

I gained weight on a bipolar medication too. I put on about 28 pounds in a couple of months last year. Good luck with the weightloss.

I am overweight, not massively, my BMI is about 26 I think. I like food too much and I can't really be bothered to deprive myself of the food I like just to wear a smaller size dress. I know I'm physically healthy so I don't have any health worries pushing me to lose weight.
#19 Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

I'm not going to address tofusion's question. I'm pretty sure s/he just wants to start dramz, and anyone who's seen my previous posts on this subject knows my opinion.

What I am going to do is to point out, again, that there are overweight and obese people on this board. Talking about them as though they somehow exist outside of our community is incredibly demeaning, fatphobic, and offensive. Before posting a thread like this, take a moment to think about how it will make the vegetarians of size here feel. Don't talk about them as though they're some kind of interesting subject for debate. (That goes for everyone, not just tofusion.)

Completely agree and just wanted everyone to know that I meant no disrespect to anyone w/ my reply. I never ever want to hurt anyone's feelings.
#20 Old 05-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't consider this thread to be offensive, and I'm overweight.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#21 Old 05-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Beginner

There are lots of great posts on this thread so there is no need to repeat. Also someone brought up other addictions (gambling/alcohol) as being similar in that its hard to correct. I agree but also in treatment for those you are taught to avoid the situations, the people you drank/smoked/gambled with but you can't avoid food. Yes, you can choose to not buy junk food but you HAVE to eat even while you are trying to get your relationship with food under control. People that have never struggled with weight or food issues just do not get how complicated and hard that is.

Plus once you are BIG it is damn hard to work out and often is seriously depressing to see how far you have to go just to be "normal". Depression often makes you want to eat more and move less.
#22 Old 05-16-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofusion View Post

There are some overweight people who love it, and eat food without concern over their health/appearance and there are others who do not like their appearance.

Given there is so much information available about healthy diets, exercise etc these days, why is it that overweight people who want to lose weight, don't lose weight but also complain about their weight knowing that it comes down to diet and exercise?

Is this something you really want to understand or are you just trying once again to appear superior to others?
#23 Old 05-16-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:

I think the OP was very rude. I'm obese but a lot of it is heredity. Yes heredity. I also have a food addiction which I'm currently trying to fix (now that I realize I have it). I have always wanted to lose weight. I tried Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers to no avail. My medicine that I was on for bipolar disorder caused me to eat in my sleep. A lot. So I gained nearly 100 pounds because of that. Now I have to work on losing weight even though the medicines available for bipolar disorder often cause massive weight gain and make it hard to lose weight.

good luck!!
#24 Old 05-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz76 View Post

Is this something you really want to understand or are you just trying once again to appear superior to others?

My guess would be the last one...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#25 Old 05-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

I don't consider this thread to be offensive, and I'm overweight.

I am overweight and I dont find it offensive either.

At the risk of upsetting people still further...

I think people without weight issues geniunely find it difficult to comprehend why people are overweight. It may come over as rude but it generally isnt meant to offend. I think its a curosity, and a puzzle. For them it seems simple. Eat less. Excercise more. Fact.

I have had a life long relationship with food that had nothing to do with wether I was hungry or not. It was only when I was honest about this that I could work on curing it. I have tried every diet in the book including one on which I survived on eggs and grapefruit and the dreaded one where you swallow vats full of cabbage!!! I blamed everybody and everything for my weight.

But whatever I did I never, ever addressed the fact that I ate for comfort. I ate when I was lonely . I ate when I was scared. I ate to celebrate when I passed my exams. Basically food was my comfort blanket, and my reward and my pacifier.

Then I took stock, I had numerous health problems all culminating from the fact that my body was over taxed by my weight. I returned to a Vegetarian diet , quickly developing into a Vegan one . This was the first step for me .. all the things I 'treated ' myself on were suddenly off limits. In re thinking my diet to exclude animal products I began to re examine my diet generally.

I had a revelation..not a major one really, unless your life revolves around food. Just a simple recognition of the difference between my diet and that of my 'skinny' mates. They ate when they were hungry. And when they had enough they stopped. They didnt finish the meal, or the packet of biscuits. They just stopped. For them food is fuel. No more no less. Not a filler for some unquenchable emotional emptiness.

Armed with that simple,yet amazing discovery I tried to tackle my weight ... and no this isnt some wonderful tale of how I lost weight and changed my life in three months. I am not cover girl on Vogue or weightwatcher slimmer of the year. BUT...I am losing weight, slowly very slowly in fact. I dont weigh myself anymore but last time I did I had lost two stone. It will take a long time and it isnt easy as anyone who has tried to lose substantial amounts of weight will know. But..I have started.

Most importantly... I have started to exercise . Because as the OP rightly points out weight loss and increased excercise need to work in unison. Nothing major just walking and Tai Chi at present but enough for me to feel my body firming up.

Personally..and I can only speak for myself (I dont want to offend anyone here!) I never brought the 'big is beautiful' hype. I was never happy being fat, in fact I was decidedly miserable. I was unhealthy and unhappy. I was pre-occupied with losing weight and thought of little else. It deprived me of confidence and self esteem. It stopped me doing almost all the physical activity I could ever want to participate in. It prevented me running and jumping around with my children when they were small. It led me into disastrous relationships . It has left me with health problems that will impede my health for the rest of my life.

It was the monkey on my back and slowly, but surely I am beating it off with sticks!!!

So...for me the answer to the OPs question 'what stops people from losing weight?' is ..their mind.

Happy hippy
#26 Old 05-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a lot of misinformation and misunderstandings out there about food, what is best to eat, how to workout, eating after working out, etc.

To each their own, though. I can see why this is a sensitive topic. I doubt someone would start a thread, "Why don't anorexic people just eat?" as if it's a simple solution to what others might deem a "problem."
#27 Old 05-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

There's a lot of misinformation and misunderstandings out there about food, what is best to eat, how to workout, eating after working out, etc.

To each their own, though. I can see why this is a sensitive topic. I doubt someone would start a thread, "Why don't anorexic people just eat?" as if it's a simple solution to what others might deem a "problem."

++++++++1 (great response, Penny)
#28 Old 05-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

Completely agree and just wanted everyone to know that I meant no disrespect to anyone w/ my reply. I never ever want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I definitely wasn't talking about your reply, but thank you.
#29 Old 05-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to start a thread JUST like this, except replacing a few words. Like so:

Quote:
There are some depressed people who love it (I call 'em the emo kids) and act all sad without concern over their health/mental stability and there are others who do not like their condition.

Given there is so much information available about the benefits of being mentally well these days, why is it that depressed people who want to be happy don't get happy, but also complain about their sadness, knowing that it comes down to medications and therapy?

Who's with me?
#30 Old 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I'm going to start a thread JUST like this, except replacing a few words. Like so:

Who's with me?

Sadly, there are lots of people out there who agree with everything in your quote!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page