What stops overweight people from losing weight? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 05-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

My understanding is that you can peel off the outer, more stringy, layer. Or just eat the inner, softer, lighter colored ones that are sweeter. You could probably find young celery somewhere, too.

I barely eat celery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 05-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Or just eat the inner, softer, lighter colored ones that are sweeter.

The inner lighter color ones are the best. I'm not fond of the darker crunchier outer ones. I actually wait till my celery wilts a bit and gets soft before I eat it. For some reason it tastes better to me that way.
#93 Old 05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

muzz, can i ask- did your thyroid issue get diagnosed via a routine blood test as part of a physical, or um... how...? cos my mum (and a few other sorta educated people who have discussed it with her) think my thyroid is outta whack... but i've been told that my thryroid test results are 'within the normal range', and that was the end of it.

My girlfriend was having trouble w/ her thyroid. The dr's kept telling her her numbers were fine. Then she found out that there is another bloodtest you can get done that isn't actually routine. She was sneeky and checked the box when she went in for her blood work and low and behold, she was right! Those numbers were way off. I'll ask her exactly what they were and get back to you. If I lose my mind and forget (things are completely nutso in my life right now) pm me and remind me.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 05-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Celery with hummus

Celery with HUMANS. MWAHAHAHAHAHA
#95 Old 05-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifer View Post

then what is the complicated answer to losing weight?

If I would know that I would write a book and make more money than Bill Gates.

And maybe you should take into your considerations conditions like emotional eating and eating disorders because that seems to be some major factor that makes people not follow these precious eating and exercise plans, you know?

I still say: as long as so-called professionals insist that it only takes an exercise and nutrition program to make people lose weight for the rest of their life we will have the problem of obesity. Because it obviously takes more than that and the chastising of fat people to help them. Offering CBT to obese people who want to change their lives would be a nice start IMO.
#96 Old 05-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

getting to the moon is simple too; as long as you have a rocket.

And if you don't count the failed missions.
#97 Old 05-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Its just hard. Most overweight people are prone to packing on the pounds, and even if they lose weight its hard to maintain it. The numbers for people gaining back all the weight they lost within 5 years is ridiculously high. I lost 60 pounds in my sophomore/junior year of HS. I'm now a senior in college and have been fortunate enough to keep it off. I can't tell you how difficult it is though. I can't eat much more than 1,500 calories or I'll pack on the pounds. Its hard to watch friends down beer, pizza, and cheeseburgers, sitting in front of the tv and not gain a pound. Eating is such a social thing.

I also think many overweight people have addictions to food (I know I did - however I overcome addictions very easily - I was once also addicted to video games). However they don't treat their condition as an addiction - so they inevitably fail at losing weight. I failed time after time trying to lose weight, until I faced the facts and realized that I was eating to make me happy and not to live. Its ok to splurge once in a while, but theres a distinct difference. I honestly believe food addictions are on par with some drug and alcohol addictions, with perhaps less destructive behavior done to others (ie being fat shouldn't affect driving skills).

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#98 Old 05-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

My girlfriend was having trouble w/ her thyroid. The dr's kept telling her her numbers were fine. Then she found out that there is another bloodtest you can get done that isn't actually routine. She was sneeky and checked the box when she went in for her blood work and low and behold, she was right! Those numbers were way off. I'll ask her exactly what they were and get back to you. If I lose my mind and forget (things are completely nutso in my life right now) pm me and remind me.......

Actually the normal blood tests didn't show anything abnormal... It wasn't until they found nodules on my thyroid and a goiter that decided to do a biopsy. My actual thyroid tests still come back normal but since they removed the nodules I have noticed some changes. Its weird and unusual but most stuff is when it comes to medical stuff with me lol.

ETA~ whoa... did that just somehow combine two different quotes from two different people/posts or did i majorly screw it up somehow... wow... i was trying to quote treehuggers original question to me i think.
#99 Old 05-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

its also rather hard to keep motivated when you're usually eating carrots and exercising your arse off, while everyone around you is eating crisps in front of the tv, and you still somehow manage to weigh twice as much as them.... and you feel like everyone who looks at you secretly thinks that you must scoff down whole cakes when nobody is looking, and you know that you really don't.

Very true!!

Quote:

i don't think most people who have never really struggled with their weight realise how much is actually involved in dropping even just a pound for some people.... how it feels to get on the scales and weep with frustration cos you've been sweating your arse off and eating like a nauseous rabbit, and you still weigh the same as last week, the dread that its just never gonna come off, let alone stay off, etc.

thats probably why when they say something like "its really simple, you just eat less calories than you burn off!", if they look very closely out of the corner of their eyes, they might spot a rather plump person desperately restraining themselves from whacking them over the head with the nearest heavy object.

QFT!

Its not as easy as it looks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

Hmmm... I am one of those overweight people who complain about being overweight but yet still doesn't lose weight.

For years I couldn't figure out why I couldn't lose weight... I would exercise, diet, etc... Went to the doc and he said I just wasn't doing enough... so i exercised more.... years later come to find out i have a thyroid problem.

Now not everyone has a thyroid problem but many don't know how to lose the weight. They try fad diets which might help to begin to lose weight but they usually aren't good for keeping a healthy weight.

As veg*n we know that many non veg*n have no idea what they eat. Between steroid meat and processed everything they are keeping themselves overweight but being told by the packaging and different food industries that it is healthy AND if you eat so much of such and such a day you will lose weight. My favorite was always the milk and cheese... studies have shown that having so many ounces of milk or cheese a day will make you lose more weight then someone who doesn't ... lol... yeah ... milk that is meant to help a calf grow to 500 pounds is going to help you lose weight lol... (yes that is sarcasm)

I think many people do care about their weight and do try to lose weight but don't know how. Many don't know where to even begin to look because there are so many diet guru books out there feeding their head full of crap .

All you have to do is look at the 'stupid things omnis say' thread to see the stupid things people are force fed from birth about diet and whats healthy and what isn't.

ok sigh... rant over i think...

I have thyroid problems as I have had...since birth.

you=generally speaking for the record.

I often find this is something people use as an excuse. I have never had a problem losing weight if I actually DO the work...for a long time....it takes longer sometimes but I find that people say "I have thyroid problems, I can't lose weight". Yes, you can. You just have to maintain your thyroid. Which means once every 3-6 months you get a blood test and get some thyroid meds and take it once a day (Synthroid is good...it actually tastes like a little sugar pill lol and its TINY and can be chewed). It's not that hard and then you live a normal life. That is not to say YOU use it as an excuse but I have heard this so many times. Your thyroid is not a very valid excuse once you have it under control. At least not from my experience. But then again, there are some people who simply CANNOT lose weight at all so it is hard to say. Its just annoying when people are like "I am overweight because I have thyroid problems" like we are all prone to being overweight because we have the same thing. Sorry, rant over. No offence to anyone btw.

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#100 Old 05-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Beginner

It's hard to change our habits.

Changing to something new can be drastic.

The sheer reluctance to change shouldn't pose as an excuse, but it takes time. It took me three years to finally get a grip on healthy eating. Three years. Three years of ups and downs. And I can't say I'm still fully at peace just yet. I still have lots to do in terms of adopting a healthy lifestyle, but I'm slowly getting there.
#101 Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Overweight people have superior metabolisms, slow and efficient ones that used to be vital for survival during famines and seasons in which there was very little food available. This means they can often be eating lots fewer calories than thin people with faster metabolisms, and will either maintain their weight, or even gain.

Very good point, SE!

If getting fat weren't absolutely necessary to our survival as a species, we wouldn't be built to store fat in the first place. We'd be built to shed every unnecessary calorie we consume. Unfortunately like you said, it's all feast and no famine these days so our natural cycle has been broken. To make matters worse exercise is now optional whereas before it was a requirement for our survival, and humans do tend to be lazy (perhaps this is by design also in order to conserve calories).

The discussion of body types is quite fascinating. Myself, I'm a classic endomorph of northern european ancestry. Stocky build, big frame, slow metabolism, shorter appendages, carry all of my weight around the middle (to protect the fat)... all perfectly suited for conserving heat and calories and surviving long harsh winters. There's a reason why northern peoples like the Inuit tend to be short and round, while humans who evolved in warmer climes tend to be tall, lean, have fast metabolisms and long appendages in order to dissipate heat and calories efficiently.

However... and please don't climb too far up my ass for saying this because I'm a big fatty myself right now... I think people in general nowadays want to blame everything but themselves for what ails them and there are way too many 'victims' in the world. There are a dozen valid things I could blame my weight problem on, from body type to chidhood sex abuse to congenital health problems that I have no control over. But I still refuse to go there. None of those things are forcing me to shovel down donuts and pizza so if I am to be honest with myself I must admit that I got fat because I chose to.

Sorry for the long post. I didn't actually even want to respond to this thread based on the OP's history of posting controversial topics to satisfy their drama-boner, but since the thread turned out to be reasonably constructive I though I'd add my two cents.

Dig
#102 Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

I agree with everything you said, Digger.
#103 Old 05-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Sorry for the long post. I didn't actually even want to respond to this thread based on the OP's history of posting controversial topics to satisfy their drama-boner, but since the thread turned out to be reasonably constructive I though I'd add my two cents.

Dig

I didn't want to go any further for the same reason. It's an interesting assumption though that people who are fat don't want to be. I did want to be. I also had childhood sexual abuse to deal with, and in my teens, another situation cropped up with my mom's boyfriend. She didn't believe me, I couldn't leave home, so my only way out of what looked to me like an endless future of being found sexually attractive by people I loathed was to get fat and ugly, so I did. 250 pounds worth of fat and ugly. It was a blessed relief for a long time.

But then I found I wanted to do things that my size was preventing me from being able to enjoy, like hiking, learning to SCUBA dive, etc. Oh and I am forgetting the type 2 diabetes that came along with the excess weight. So I decided to lose it again. Anyone who thinks losing weight is a simple matter of eating less and burning more is frankly an idiot. It is agony. Years of agony. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. Nothing simple about it. That's why I don't like these kinds of threads. Too much blaming and finger pointing by people who haven't got a clue what it's like, and thinking they've got all the answers when they don't.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#104 Old 05-23-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:

It's an interesting assumption though that people who are fat don't want to be. I did want to be. I also had childhood sexual abuse to deal with, and in my teens, another situation cropped up with my mom's boyfriend. She didn't believe me, I couldn't leave home, so my only way out of what looked to me like an endless future of being found sexually attractive by people I loathed was to get fat and ugly, so I did. 250 pounds worth of fat and ugly. It was a blessed relief for a long time.

Sorry to read that SomebodyElse.
#105 Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Toast.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#106 Old 05-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

You're all right.

It's not about eating less and training more.

It's about eating healthier and training more.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#107 Old 05-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
drama-boner

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!
#108 Old 05-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

You're all right.

It's not about eating less and training more.

It's about eating healthier and training more.

It's also about dealing with the physical, situational, and emotional reasons behind the weight gain, as has been very clearly laid out in this thread in my opinion.
#109 Old 05-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofusion View Post

There are some overweight people who love it, and eat food without concern over their health/appearance and there are others who do not like their appearance.

Given there is so much information available about healthy diets, exercise etc these days, why is it that overweight people who want to lose weight, don't lose weight but also complain about their weight knowing that it comes down to diet and exercise?

This is something I've never really understood.

If you really want an answer to this question, it's very simple: all you have to do is gain 100 pounds, then try to lose it. You'll learn first-hand the answer to your question.
#110 Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But then I found I wanted to do things that my size was preventing me from being able to enjoy, like hiking, learning to SCUBA dive, etc. Oh and I am forgetting the type 2 diabetes that came along with the excess weight. So I decided to lose it again. Anyone who thinks losing weight is a simple matter of eating less and burning more is frankly an idiot. It is agony. Years of agony. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. Nothing simple about it. That's why I don't like these kinds of threads. Too much blaming and finger pointing by people who haven't got a clue what it's like, and thinking they've got all the answers when they don't.

+ 10000
#111 Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey View Post

if you really want an answer to this question, it's very simple: All you have to do is gain 100 pounds, then try to lose it. You'll learn first-hand the answer to your question.

:d :d :d
#112 Old 05-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Beginner

I agree, losing weight is difficult. It can be a struggle, and to this day, I'm still struggling.
#113 Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

nice work sneaky gf. sometimes you just gotta do what needs to be done.

brilliant- thanks. i'll pester you for the pm if i can remember. then all i gotta do is muster up some assertiveness and attempt to discuss it with the doctor without crying and/or being easily fobbed off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

Actually the normal blood tests didn't show anything abnormal... It wasn't until they found nodules on my thyroid and a goiter that decided to do a biopsy. My actual thyroid tests still come back normal but since they removed the nodules I have noticed some changes. Its weird and unusual but most stuff is when it comes to medical stuff with me lol.

ETA~ whoa... did that just somehow combine two different quotes from two different people/posts or did i majorly screw it up somehow... wow... i was trying to quote treehuggers original question to me i think.

yeah, that whole 'normal range' stuff annoys me for that. i know i'm abnormal. the doctor could ask anyone who knows me how normal i am!
#114 Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

It's also about dealing with the physical, situational, and emotional reasons behind the weight gain, as has been very clearly laid out in this thread in my opinion.

If there ever was one to begin with.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#115 Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

^^Of course. But as with everything in life, there just about always is.
#116 Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 PM
mlp
Banned

In my case, I have to eat 500 calories or less to maintain myself at a size 4. (I know - I did it for a time.) Or I can eat as much as I want and maintain myself at a size 14. I like food, and I'm healthy, so really, it's no contest.
#117 Old 06-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

^^No kidding! Glad you've come to that realization!
#118 Old 06-06-2010, 11:44 AM
VCN
Beginner

I do agree that some people are just genetically inclined to keep their weight. But a lot of of the time it is bad decisions too. My mother is considered medically obese and it really frustrates me. Not just because she is overweight, after all, she's my mother and I love her no matter what she looks like, but she and my stepfather live a sedate lifestyle, drink several liters coke and dr. pepper a week, snack on potato chips (him especially), add sour cream to everything, deep fry their own food when they do cook, etc. They also generally refuse to buy fresh produce because it is more expensive than prepackaged food. So, next to no fresh fruit&veg in their diets. They are basically the stereotype of an obese American. My mother has made some efforts to lose weight, and she has incorporated some frozen fruit smoothies and a few other healthy things into her diet, but still hasn't let go of the unhealthy things that I think cause her continued weight problems. I know her body is not "just built" this way because she gained the weight after some really rough stuff she went through 10+ years ago. She goes through periods where she will "play nice" and give up one of her vices (like the soda), lose a couple of pounds, and then go right back to it and gain the weight back. It's depressing for me to see, because I worry about her but there's nothing she will do and it's not something I can force on her. The other downside for me is she likes to make fun of my vegetarianism and a lot of my health choices, and I think when she does this she is subconsciously assuring herself that her diet is okay, somehow, like, that she's more "normal" than me. It's the only way I can think of to explain it.

Sorry, I know a lot of you could care less about my issues with my mom, but when the topic of obesity comes up, it's what always comes to the fore of my mind.
#119 Old 06-06-2010, 11:55 AM
VCN
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

In my case, I have to eat 500 calories or less to maintain myself at a size 4. (I know - I did it for a time.) Or I can eat as much as I want and maintain myself at a size 14. I like food, and I'm healthy, so really, it's no contest.

Some people really do look more healthy and attractive in a larger size vs. an skinny one that isn't suited (or natural) to their body type. So, go you for the statement. I think as long as a person is leading a healthy lifestyle than we need to keep in mind that "size" isn't always an indicator for health and happiness.
#120 Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

As a former smoker, I'd quit the cigs a thousand times over than try to lose weight. Weight is such a complicated issue and it's wrapped up in so many other things, I could never fully explain it on some internet board.

I'm working on it every day while my almost full bottle of Grey Goose sits on my counter rarely touched. I wonder how long that bottle would last in some people's homes. We all have our issues, vices and coping mechanisms. I know mine, which developed early in childhood, is probably the most socially unacceptable one. Not that I'm so big anyone would pay notice to me on the street. And I run like crazy at work on my feet most of that time. I know though I'd feel better with some weight off.

I have after all these years though come to terms with my looks. I can't worry about what people think anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page