Losing too much weight! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Ive been vegan for almost three months now, and was a vegetarian for a good while before that, but recently Ive been losing weight I cant afford to lose. Im a guy, Im 14, 5'11'', and WAS at 125lbs, but Ive progressive;y dropped to 121lbs, and my weight shows no signs of leveling out or increacing! Ive always been super slim/lanky but Ive never had problems with my weight, Ive always gained as I grow. Im desprately cramming fats, for breakfast I ate about 1/4 a jar of peanutbutter. I think I eat enough, for breakfast, some toast with EB or PB, lunch is usually a sandwith with PBnJ, and when I get home I graze on fruit/pretzles/hummus...etc.......with a big meal at dinner. What am I doing wrong?

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Fats & Grains always help me gain weight when need be.. (or lose weight if I cut them out)

Quinoa (the ancient grain) is VERY protein packed and tastes very good. Eat lots of beans! And good fats such as avocado (if you like them), nuts.. oils are great because you can get a lot of fat without filling yourself up too much. Flaxseed oil can be added into a smoothie, etc.. Potatoes of every kind also tend to help you gain weight, so maybe begin eating more potatoes as well..

These are just a few ideas, other members probably have tons of tips too..

Good luck!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#3 Old 05-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

The only quinoa Ive found was 7.00 for a TEENY box, so thats a no-go. Beans are an eh coice, I might get some hummus later, Im just not a bean person ( I did find amazing hummus at publix that had jalepeno and cilantro in it!). Avacado is a good idea, nuts, not so migh. At the beginning of my vegan journey I brought trailmix for lunch EVERY day, I absolutely CANNOT even look at nuts or dried fruit right now. Flaxseed oil sounds interesting.......and potatoes sound yummy....lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I would try to add more food to breakfast and lunch, even if it's low calorie stuff like fruits and vegetables. At least it's calories, you know? And the avocado is a good idea.
#5 Old 05-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Look up some baked oatmeal recipes for breakfast, or honestly whenever else you feel like eating something delicious. The recipe I use calls for oatmeal, almond milk, applesauce, a little brown sugar, cinnamon & baking powder....but you can add in peanut butter, nuts, rasins, cranberries, almond butter, pretty much anything you can think of and you can make it super high-caloric, healthy, filling, and it'll stick with you for a long time. I'd definitely try out something like that.
#6 Old 05-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Beginner

Just eat more, like Clarita said. You need more calories. Don't stress about it, you're a 14 year old teenage boy (probably the most out of control metabolism on the planet, lol). When I was 14, hell I could eat enough for five people and never gain an ounce. Your metabolism WILL level out, but for now, you're body is exploding in growth (internally and externally) and just requires a lot of calories. Keep eating, the PB is great stuff, hummus, any type of beans, fruits, etc.
#7 Old 05-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I will try that oatmeal recipie, can it be made the night before? And yes, I have the metabolism of a gerbil on speed.

#8 Old 05-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Beginner

^^^ *******...

I mean...Good luck : )
#9 Old 05-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus32 View Post

^^^ *******...

LOL! Yup, yo AndrewFL, there *WILL* come a day when your problem will be the opposite...you'll be saying "man I just look at food and I'm packing on pounds, HELP!"

Until then, keep eating and enjoy it!
#10 Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
^^^ *******...

Lol, I realize im lucky, it just doesnt always seem so great HAVING to pig all day.

#11 Old 05-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Just to be sure, are you otherwise healthy, aside from the weight loss? I ask because you wouldn't want to have an underlying health problem go ignored. Try boosting your calorie intake and eating small, frequent meals. Hopefully things turn around for you. I'd recommend a good protein/fiber rich smoothie as a meal option. Drinking calories is a good way to get fast nutrients without feeling like you are gorging yourself. Plus, most anywhere you are, you can have a beverage with your, more conveniently than carrying food.
#12 Old 05-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Im prety sure im healthy, im never sick or anything. I would rather graze and have multiple meals, but thats not very easy because im at school all day.........I did just eat half a tub of hummus! lol

#13 Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Beginner

Oh, I am super jealous of you, haha.
#14 Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFL View Post

Im prety sure im healthy, im never sick or anything. I would rather graze and have multiple meals, but thats not very easy because im at school all day.........I did just eat half a tub of hummus! lol

Can you carry a bottled drink with you in class, or do that have a strict no beverage policy? That's why I suggested a smoothie/protein shake.
#15 Old 05-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Banned

Carbs, boy! Whole wheat bread, pasta, tortillas, pitas. Brown rice. Oatmeal. Bran cereal. Quinoa (if you aren't allergic).
#16 Old 05-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I could have a drink......and Im eating sooo many carbs

#17 Old 05-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Beginner

How about granola? That is very caloric dense, and very tasty!
#18 Old 05-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

lol I feel like ima bust! Today Ive eaten two peices of toast with EB, two sandwitches, half a thing of hummus, and three soft tortillas! UGHHHHH LOL

#19 Old 05-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Beginner

Are you at a good weight from it? LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page