May Weight Loss Challenge - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

We made it through another month! Who's on board for May? My birthday is coming up in a few weeks, YAY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I am in for sure yet again!! Weighed 120.4 this morning which is up about half a pound from last week but that is just the old fluctuating going on. Someday I want it to be like... 110-112 instead of this "around 120" stuff. Or even 108-110 but that is a dream!

Same goals as always..... must get back to exercise, less sweets,

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#3 Old 05-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm using SparkPeople this month, I think I'm actually going to see results! The only problem is... I'm STARVING and have a headache from not eating as much as I usually do. Does this pain eventually go away?

I LOVE that I can track all of my food (calories/fat/salt/carbs/proteins/fiber/everything) and it gives me workouts to do everyday. I am VERY serious and dedicated this time. I'm hoping I can kick my plateau's butt!

Goal: 117 pounds

Currently: 122 pounds

Measurements: Same as the last 2 months, even though I've worked out

Once I hit my target weight, I'm going to focus on toning. I honestly want to get back to 112, but I don't see that happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Beginner

Goal this month is to lose 13-14 pounds. Buying an exercise bike tomorrow so that should help. Good luck everyone.
#5 Old 05-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone,

If no one minds, I'd rather not say my weight (I'm too embarrassed). But, I started WW two weeks ago and so far I've lost 9 lbs. I can't believe how easy it is coming off since I stopped eating meat. When I get closer to my goal, I'll tell everyone what I started at. I have a long way to go, but I feel strong and motivated. I finally got some exercise going this week, too. I splurged on a pair of Sketchers "Shape Ups" and wore them to go walking the other day. OMG, my calves were screaming, so I am hoping these shoes do what they say they will. So, I will keep everyone posted on my progress and I look forward to hearing about all of your successes, too. BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!!!!!

Laura
#6 Old 05-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in for this month, although I'm planning on doing things a bit differently. April was nothing more than starving myself to escape having to exercise and, surprise surprise, it didn't really work! I'm not going to obsess about my weight this month, I don't even have a weight loss goal. Instead I'm going to try to get more in shape by picking up running in addition to watching what I eat. I'm hoping to compete in a 5k by the end of the summer. We'll see how it goes!
#7 Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in for May (my birthday month too ) I stepped on the scale this morning and am up a wee bit. I've been at 136 but today was 139. I don't believe it's "real" weight though, too many factors to list, but I'm betting it's gone soon. I've been working out really hard and will continue on with that. I'll try to make that goal I didn't make last month...lol 133 We shall see.... Acutally, I'm feeling really great and am getting pretty toned, very cool.
#8 Old 05-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

Hi everyone,

If no one minds, I'd rather not say my weight (I'm too embarrassed). But, I started WW two weeks ago and so far I've lost 9 lbs. I can't believe how easy it is coming off since I stopped eating meat. When I get closer to my goal, I'll tell everyone what I started at. I have a long way to go, but I feel strong and motivated. I finally got some exercise going this week, too. I splurged on a pair of Sketchers "Shape Ups" and wore them to go walking the other day. OMG, my calves were screaming, so I am hoping these shoes do what they say they will. So, I will keep everyone posted on my progress and I look forward to hearing about all of your successes, too. BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!!!!!

Thanks, Laura You never ever have to feel embarrassed, we're all your support system! When I became a veg, the pounds just fell off too. 15 in 2 months without any kind of dieting. It felt great! I've gone up 10 pounds since, but I'm hoping food and exercise tracking will help. I did WW for a while, it was easy and I never felt deprived Hope you really like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgyJff View Post

I'm in for this month, although I'm planning on doing things a bit differently. April was nothing more than starving myself to escape having to exercise and, surprise surprise, it didn't really work! I'm not going to obsess about my weight this month, I don't even have a weight loss goal. Instead I'm going to try to get more in shape by picking up running in addition to watching what I eat. I'm hoping to compete in a 5k by the end of the summer. We'll see how it goes!

Sound like some great goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I'm in for May (my birthday month too ) I stepped on the scale this morning and am up a wee bit. I've been at 136 but today was 139. I don't believe it's "real" weight though, too many factors to list, but I'm betting it's gone soon. I've been working out really hard and will continue on with that. I'll try to make that goal I didn't make last month...lol 133 We shall see.... Acutally, I'm feeling really great and am getting pretty toned, very cool.

YAY, what day is your birthday?

I'm dreading next week, my weight jumps the week of my period, bleh. I know it's temporary, but it sucks. Glad you're getting toned!
#9 Old 05-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm staving. I met my fiber, protein, carb, fat, and calorie count for the day. Any suggestions? There's no way I can stick to this calorie counting thing if I'm going to starve, I know I won't lose weight.
#10 Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

<----- On Board!

I weighed in at 165.4 this morning.. a total weight loss of: 30 pounds. Woo!

During May I hope to lose 5-8 pounds. It's totally possible. Word.
#11 Old 05-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

30 pounds is great!!!

#12 Old 05-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I'm staving. I met my fiber, protein, carb, fat, and calorie count for the day. Any suggestions? There's no way I can stick to this calorie counting thing if I'm going to starve, I know I won't lose weight.

Quote:
YAY, what day is your birthday?

I'm dreading next week, my weight jumps the week of my period, bleh. I know it's temporary, but it sucks. Glad you're getting toned!

That's why I quit counting calaries, it made me crazy!!! LOL I just figure that anything that is basicly good for me food and isn't a white starchy is kind of fair game. Those white sticky starches seem to be the ones that make the scale go up. How about a giant salad w/a plop of refried beans and salsa? carrots n hummas. peanut butter n celery. Big bowl of berries and a banana....

My birthday is May 25th.

^^That's why my weight is all wacky this week...well and that I've been eating like a total piglet. I went on a white starchy comfort food carb bender and they just make you want more of them. The little buggers are like crack!
#13 Old 05-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

hey everyone. im in.

current weight: 140 (138 in the morning, 142 at night. the fluctuating is constant!)

goal: 135 at the top of the fluctuations... so i guess that would be 131ish.

method: calorie tracking. ill try it but i dont think itll stick. exercise more, definitely. reduce dairy as much as i possibly can. reduce gluten and sugar. lots of green smoothies.

good luck everyone!
#14 Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I'm in again, too, but I'll do my goals in a couple days (I'm in Tokyo right now). Just wanted to ask Heather, what are your calorie goals? If they're so low you constantly hungry, that's bad. Alternately, to keep them low you'll have to start eating lower calorie foods so that you can eat more volume. Like, avoiding bread, pasta, ice cream, etc in favor of fruits and veggies 'cause you can eat more for the same calories.
#15 Old 05-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Beginner

Bought my excercise bike. Got it half price in the sale. Only £40 (Around $61 at the moment I think) Put it all together by myself. I love it. It's so much fun. I'm going to do 20 minutes morning and evening untill I'm at a weight I'm happy with then I'm going to do around 20-30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week to keep the weight off and the legs toned. Looking forward to this month. Now I've just got to wait for the pounds to start dropping off.
#16 Old 05-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine93 View Post

Bought my excercise bike. Got it half price in the sale. Only £40 (Around $61 at the moment I think) Put it all together by myself. I love it. It's so much fun. I'm going to do 20 minutes morning and evening untill I'm at a weight I'm happy with then I'm going to do around 20-30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week to keep the weight off and the legs toned. Looking forward to this month. Now I've just got to wait for the pounds to start dropping off.

That's great!!! Fun is what it's about. If you enjoy the exercise you're doing, you'll do it often.
#17 Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

That's why I quit counting calaries, it made me crazy!!! LOL I just figure that anything that is basicly good for me food and isn't a white starchy is kind of fair game. Those white sticky starches seem to be the ones that make the scale go up. How about a giant salad w/a plop of refried beans and salsa? carrots n hummas. peanut butter n celery. Big bowl of berries and a banana....

My birthday is May 25th.

^^That's why my weight is all wacky this week...well and that I've been eating like a total piglet. I went on a white starchy comfort food carb bender and they just make you want more of them. The little buggers are like crack!

Honestly, I've just had to. I've been trying to lose weight for 3 months, not a single pound has come off. SparkPeople is really helping me, I'm trying to make better dietary choices so I have more calories throughout the day. I'm going to post my meals from yesterday after I reply to some messages here. What's really hard is I eat meals with my guy, so I can't always just have a salad. He can cook for himself, but then I'll want what he's having. It's bad Once I get to my goal weight, I can eat whatever. I have no problem maintaining, just can't lose since I stopped The Pill.

I was almost born on the 25th, I waited a few more hours to come out and arrived on the 26th.

They are like crack!
#18 Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

Just wanted to ask Heather, what are your calorie goals? If they're so low you constantly hungry, that's bad. Alternately, to keep them low you'll have to start eating lower calorie foods so that you can eat more volume. Like, avoiding bread, pasta, ice cream, etc in favor of fruits and veggies 'cause you can eat more for the same calories.

SparkPeople took my weight and workout routine and gave me the range: 1,200-1,550. I tried staying closer to 1,200, but ended up at almost exactly 1,550, still hungry. I tried to incorporate more fruits and veggies, but it's hard with veggies because I want to pair something with it (peanut butter, hummus, salt, something with calories) and with fruit, I don't have a lot of it on hand right now (going shopping tomorrow). I'm going to post my food diary for yesterday and the start of today.
#19 Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in. May is gonna be super hectic for me, but I'd still like to try to lose 5 more lbs. We'll be on vacation for 8 days this month, which usually makes it hard not to gain weight, but we plan on doing a lot of hiking while we're away, so that'll help keep the weight down!
#20 Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

May 1st Meals:

Breakfast:

English Muffin + Sausage Patty + a sprinkle of cheese.

Tea

1/2 cup strawberries

276 calories, 38 carbs, 7g fat, 17g protein

Lunch:

1/2 Quorn Cutlet

Sprinkle of Cheese

Fortified Penne + Spaghetti Sauce

267 calories, 48g carbs, 4g fat, 15g protein

Dinner:

Kale and Potato Enchiladas (Modified version, less oil and salt)

322 calories, 54g carbs, 10g fat, 8g protein

Snacks:

Morningstar Farm Griller + Ketchup (had a hunger headache round 3, so I had this)

1 serving Grape Nuts, soy milk, little sugar (had in the evening when my stomach was growling)

1 Dove Dark Chocolate

Larabar Cashew Cookie

685 calories, 95g carbs, 24g fat, 31g protein

Total:

Calories: 1,550 (Range is 1,200-1,550)

Carbs: 235g (163-236)

Fat: 46g (32-56)

Protein: 71 (60-127, which I think is too high, will change it to 45-70 today)

Most of the fat I eat is unsaturated too, I only had 10g of saturated yesterday (I usually eat more than twice that). I typically eat a lot more than what I had yesterday, probably double the calories. I ate pretty well with what I had, I fit into almost every category (the only thing I didn't was the salt, had 1,000mg over). Any suggestions? Specifically, what can I add? My veggies yesterday were potatoes, kale, pasta sauce while I only had Strawberries as my fruit. I used to have freeze dried fruit every morning, but I'm completely out. Snack ideas? I'm eating plenty of fiber too, 35g yesterday.

This morning I had oatmeal and a little brown sugar, puts me at 185 calories, 39g carbs, 3g fat, 5g protein.

Oh, and I drink A LOT of water. Yesterday I had 15 cups of water PLUS 4 cups of tea.
#21 Old 05-02-2010, 10:25 AM

would it be okay if i joined even though it's not about losing weight for me? i'd like to eat healthily...and for me, it's more about eating enough than cutting down...and i really need to start to exercise again. i'm 115 pounds on a good day so i don't have much to lose, but i would like to tone up and gain some energy
#22 Old 05-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Of course you're welcome here
#23 Old 05-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I just made some homemade black bean dip It's best with chips, but I'm trying to get used to having it with celery. I need to go buy some baked chips .
#24 Old 05-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Beginner

I'd like to join in!

I weigh 158 pounds and I'm 5'2. My long-term goal is to weigh about 135. For the month of May, I'd be thrilled if I'm closer to 150 than 155 at the end of the month.

I'm trying to exercise a lot more: walking, biking, 30-Day Shred, gardening.

I don't count calories, but I'm trying to eat mainly whole foods, with whole lot of fruit.
#25 Old 05-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone,

My microwave died a few weeks back and veggies steamed in the stovetop are gross (IMO). So, I've been roasting all of my veggies. I just cut them up, toss with a little olive oil, sea salt and cracked black pepper and roast them until they are a little brown and carmelized. OMG, I may never go back to steamed again. Heather, when you eat them this way, you absolutely won't need anything else with them. I make a huge pan with a mixture of veggies so I have lots of leftovers. Also, I love to stir fry veggies and seitan/tofu on the grill. I eat this with some brown rice and then the next day I eat the leftovers in a wrap. Sooooo good.

Laura
#26 Old 05-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Heather: This is just my opinion... but I think you're eating too much processed food and not enough whole fruits and veggies. The processed stuff is sucking up your calories like a vacuum. more fruits and veg!

the best snacks that curb my appetite are apples with a tbl spoon of nut butter or just nuts on their own.
#27 Old 05-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE roasted veggies I was looking up recipes last night for roasted carrots, found this: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Map...-Carrots-59280

I love steamed, but roasted is even more heavenly because there's oil involved. I should get some root veggies and roast them I don't like stir fry that much, unless I add a sauce, it's bland (and I'm trying to cut back on salt). I need to browse for some more roasting recipes online, thanks for the idea

This recipe is really good and healthy (roasted veggies and pasta): http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/roa...h-basil-421754
#28 Old 05-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleSau View Post

Heather: This is just my opinion... but I think you're eating too much processed food and not enough whole fruits and veggies. The processed stuff is sucking up your calories like a vacuum. more fruits and veg!

the best snacks that curb my appetite are apples with a tbl spoon of nut butter or just nuts on their own.

On a typical day, I cook dinner and have leftovers for lunch. I don't always have processed foods. Today I had some for lunch Went to Burger King, first time in 4 years. Under 400 calories. But I figured I had oatmeal for breakfast and will probably have Kale and Potato Enchiladas for dinner (leftovers), so it's okay It's 2am and I'm not starving, that's good. Homemade bean dip is pretty filling. I've only had half of my calories and it's after lunch.

When I eat something like apples and PB, I'm starving less than an hour later. I actually tracked my food 2 days ago (but it got deleted) and a small portion of walnuts took a huge chunk of my fat intake and 1/5 of my calories. Yesterday the Lara bar did the same. Until I lose the weight, I'm going to avoid nuts. Do you have any suggestions for food? I'm going to have celery with hummus (once I go to the store) and roast some carrots, I just need more ideas. I'll go to the store and see a veggie and think "What can I do with that?" and not buy it. I need a list I don't like raw broccoli or peppers. I made vegan ranch, might pair that with carrots soon.
#29 Old 05-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Every time I look for healthy, low calorie snacks online, dairy comes up. I'm not a vegan, but why can't they recommend more fruits and veggies?

Ever since yesterday, I've been craving chocolate chip cookie dough Of course! I might give in and make it. I'll only have 1 ball though, I'll freeze the rest.
#30 Old 05-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Beginner

So today I've not done too good on the food side of things today but I've done about 40 minutes on my new exercise bike. I've just had my last bad food and am now offcially starting the diet. It's porridge made with water for breakfast. Cucumber sandwich with no butter for lunches. (I go to college so need packed lunches) And whatever my mum cooks for dinner, just a smaller portion. Then 20 minutes morning and evening on the exercise bike. I'm looking forward to looking good. Finally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page