You're fat. Wait, now you're too skinny. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Beginner

.................................................. ..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sharon View Post

... But with these continual remarks by others, it makes me wonder, "What is Healthy?".

Your entire post resonates with me, but I wanted to address this especially. No one knows what is healthy. And I mean no one! Unlike all other animals, civilized humans have lost their natural instincts for what they should be eating. So you have to educate yourself as best you can. But it sounds to me like you have found your answer to what works for you, so don't listen to anyone else.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 02-06-2010, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Are you underweight? Do you feel healthy?

I wouldn't worry about it, also I think it's really rude to comment on other people's weight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the poster above. Know how you feel too as people always 'joked' about how I ate SO much fruit even before I was vegetarian and used to comment (criticize) when I gave my children lots why wouldn't I encourage them to eat something they enjoy that is also so good for them?
#5 Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Yeah, people's perception of what's "normal" or "healthy" is way out of whack. I feel like we've been criticized for saying we're not going to let our child have fast food, soda, and watch cartoons. Those should be admirable things to want for your young child. Whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

The people who are telling you you eat too many fruits and vegetables just want to make themselves feel better about not eating enough of veggies/fruits themselves. You would have to be living under a rock to not know that the more vegetables you eat, the better.

If you are that concerned, you could go to your doctor and ensure that you have enough nutrients, healthy weight etc and then you can tell people ''thank you for your concern, but my doctor approves of my diet, and all the tests show I am very healthy!''

I agree that it is very rude to comment on other people's weight.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#7 Old 02-06-2010, 02:34 PM

Pepole harshly judge and condem anything that they dont uderstand out of fear of it calls attention to what it is that they are not doing .It sheds light on the fact that tere are different ways and they have a hard time excepting that there way may not the best way after all.So in order to make themsevles feel better they try to cinvence them selves and you that your way is wrong so they can be right. Follow your heart and what makes you feel good.Dont let anyone influence your decision on what is best for you.D let anyone bring you down.Good luck.
#8 Old 02-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Banned

so did you reply to this person "well, you're too judgemental! " ?
#9 Old 02-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Honestly I would find some new "friends".
#10 Old 02-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your replies everyone.

When I was lectured on how I was now too skinny, I just sat there. She continued to explain how I should be using an abundance of oil in my cooking and stop eating so many fruits. Oh, and that I essentially don't look good physically, because I am vegan. I didn't say anything, and maybe I should have. But I know at that moment, I really didn't want to stir anything up, because sometimes, when you give that moment for someone just to throw in their two cents, they feel like they made a huge accomplishment or something. Like, they are happy to let out their opinion. I just find that everyone has their own thoughts on what 'healthy' is, and without a doubt, they are quick to tell me their opinion and thoughts on it, even though I have yet to actually inquire. In fact, the topic hasn't even been brought up, but it just randomly comes out of thin air. To be honest though, I can see that individuals may just be curious as to why I do what I do, because eliminating meat and dairy is still 'that radical'.

At the same time though, it does make me question just a little as to what I find healthy. It makes me feel like a zombie when I often crave fresh fruits and vegetables. Should I be wanting a basket of french fries and a slice of pizza instead? Hum.

I think I'm too emotional of a person. And I take things personally quite easily, which is something I definitely need to work on. During my previous encounters with others attacking the way I eat, I basically wasn't prepared and actually didn't expect to be questioned and put on the spot to justify my choice. Lack of preparation on my part, because I guess I should have known. Then again, eating the way I do has become really, second-nature to me. It's what I do, because it is important to me. And now, I just simply do what I do. It's just that it can be exhausting when I feel as though I need to justify why I do what I do, when really, it all comes down to dietary choice. The simple choice to eat certain foods and refrain from others. But it's like the end of the world.
#11 Old 02-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate the typical stereotype of "vegans look emaciated" concept. while I have seen more than one that does look undernourished, the majority certainly don't. sorry you were made to feel that way. As long as YOU know you are eating healthy, then stick with it.

don't forget too, that with the number of fad diets that have gone around in the last 20 yrs, if that person has ever tried them herself, she may not really know what is healthy to eat. She may be stuck on Atkins thinking if she wants you to cook with copious amts of oil....just because they could. Atkins also didn't advocate eating large amts of vegetables or fruits, so if eating more than 2 servings a day for you, could be way out of wack for her.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#12 Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

This is healthy. That is unhealthy. When you are trying to decide what a healthy diet is, you are usually trying to ascribe things to some ideal healthiness. A capital 'H', Health, if you will. No such thing exists. First, this will vary on an individual basis, and secondly we do not have perfect knowledge of human physiology, nutrition, and certainly not the complex interactions between them. Aside from things like cholesterol levels, blood pressure, etc, how you feel is likely one of the best indicators of your health.
#13 Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Out of curiosity what is your height and weight now? I ask because the times that people have told me I'm too skinny, it's cause I WAS.
#14 Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 AM

My MIL lectured me on eating too much fruit saying "even natural sugars are bad for you" all the while she sitting there muching on a chocolate bar. She's overweight i'm not. hmmmm.
#15 Old 02-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Beginner

I feel the same way! I've always been thin, even has a kid, and always had remarks about it. I'd be sitting at the dinner table at like, 10 years old, eating with my family and my grandma would say "eat more. you eat like a bird" that was literally every dinner with her. It never phased me but now that I'm older (I'll be 21 in sept.) it's starting to get really annoying because my parents are saying it. I moved away from home so maybe it's just because they don't see me daily anymore, but I've literally gained weight since leaving home, and yet they have the nerve to say I look "deprived". And don't even get me started on the vegetarian comments! I was at work and someone asked me if I wanted some meat product and I said "I don't eat meat." Not mean, not really emotional at all. Just stating a fact. And she says "Oh, so that's why you're so skinny." I don't even bother saying anything anymore because it's not even worth it. I've been skinny all my life and was actually thinner before giving up meat, so for people to assume I'm thin because I'm a vegetarian, and therefore not getting certain vitamins or something, IT'S SO ANNOYING!

I agree. I wish we could just ignore weight! For once, I'd love to come back to someone who says I'm too thin with something about them.

them: "You're too thin."

me: "Yeah, so?"

them: "Just trying to help..."

me: "Ok...your ears are too big and your face looks like it was hit with a hammer."

them: "....um.."

me: "hey man...just trying to help. O:-)"
#16 Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Beginner

First off, if you suspect that you truly are underweight then you need to talk to your doctor. But as for all those other people, try your best not to listen to them because 1. it's none of their damn business and 2. they probably don't know what they're talking about anyhow.

There are a lot of people out there that are insecure about their weight. As a result, a lot of them try to make themselves feel better by criticizing others. That is rude, plain and simple. Do not put up with rude people more than you have to. They are usually not worth the effort. You need people in your life you have your best interests at heart, people who will support you instead of look for ways to tear you down.

Also, in an overweight country (U.S., many other similar countries), the perception of what is a healthy weight is skewed. People think that average is healthy and when average is overweight then healthy looks "emaciated" in comparison. Healthy weight people are told they're too skinny and are encouraged to eat more ad more. Parents with healthy weight kids are told that they're "starving" their kids. And then people wonder why more and more of us are becoming over weight. It's a vicious cycle.
#17 Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantsPlease View Post

First off, if you suspect that you truly are underweight then you need to talk to your doctor. But as for all those other people, try your best not to listen to them because 1. it's none of their damn business and 2. they probably don't know what they're talking about anyhow.

There are a lot of people out there that are insecure about their weight. As a result, a lot of them try to make themselves feel better by criticizing others. That is rude, plain and simple. Do not put up with rude people more than you have to. They are usually not worth the effort. You need people in your life you have your best interests at heart, people who will support you instead of look for ways to tear you down.

Also, in an overweight country (U.S., many other similar countries), the perception of what is a healthy weight is skewed. People think that average is healthy and when average is overweight then healthy looks "emaciated" in comparison. Healthy weight people are told they're too skinny and are encouraged to eat more ad more. Parents with healthy weight kids are told that they're "starving" their kids. And then people wonder why more and more of us are becoming over weight. It's a vicious cycle.

I definitely agree. I'm thin but not horribly so. You don't see my ribs sticking out unless I wiggle a certain way or something and even then, that's forced. I feel fit. Often times I surprise people by how strong I am. So I'm happy. I've been trying to eat a little more and better foods, and it's only given me even more energy and helped me feel my best. My parents are coming to visit tomorrow so if they have anything to say about my weight or how I look, I'm just going to block them out...and try not to start an argument we'll see how it goes lol
#18 Old 02-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Beginner

People just love telling you if you are healthy or not, especially while they are downing a big cake while you are eating a banana

I have been the same weight for years, always thin. I eat as much as I want and I don't gain weight. Its always been that way. But as soon as I went vegetarian my mom seems to think me being thin means "anorexic" and bring it up all the time. Its been 3 years since I stopped eating meat and she still brings it up. It does make you feel like crap hearing people say you are unhealthy, too fat or too thin. When my mom tells me I need to gain weight, sometimes I get so angry I just come back and tell her she needs to lose weight.

"I'm misses she's too big now she's too thin"
#19 Old 02-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it is such a double standard. If anyone looses weight on a silly fad diet everyone congratulates them and it's a happy thing. BUT if you loose weight because you go veg*n and start eating healthy you are "wasting away".

Since I went veg, every time I see my dad he tells me I am too skinny and that I don't look healthy. I am by no means too skinny....at all. I find that omnis just equate weight loss in veg*ans to lack of nutrients. Since I know that I'm not too skinny, but actually healthy, I just take it as a compliment now!
#20 Old 02-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelkid87 View Post

People just love telling you if you are healthy or not, especially while they are downing a big cake while you are eating a banana

I have been the same weight for years, always thin. I eat as much as I want and I don't gain weight. Its always been that way. But as soon as I went vegetarian my mom seems to think me being thin means "anorexic" and bring it up all the time. Its been 3 years since I stopped eating meat and she still brings it up. It does make you feel like crap hearing people say you are unhealthy, too fat or too thin. When my mom tells me I need to gain weight, sometimes I get so angry I just come back and tell her she needs to lose weight.

"I'm misses she's too big now she's too thin"

I feel the same way. I literally just had a little arguement with my mom on the phone maybe two nights ago because she's on YET ANOTHER diet so I said pretty innocently if she's ever tried going vegetarian or vegan. I said vegetarian might not work so well because I typically replace my meat with pasta, grains, and beans. Hardy stuff like that. So she might not lose weight if she eats like that, but I said "but I've never seen a fat vegan " and she started criticizing me being a vegetarian. She has this illusion that I'm not getting enough protein. I told her that protein isn't a problem for me at all, that it's more of the subtle nutrients and vitamins, such most people (yes, meat-eaters too) miss as well. I also added on that I'd like to eat more veggies, to get some of those nutrients and vitamins. She took that as me saying that I need more calories and I'm going to eat veggies to get them. I said no, that those are just two separate goals. A) eat more/more calories so hopefully I can gain weight. and B) eat more veggies. Two separate things! lol it's like she thinks she knows everything about nutriention and healthy eating....I've been doing so much research since becoming a vegetarian and thinking about going vegan, and even since I've been trying to gain weight. I know a TON. And what's her background? Not research, not personal experience.....diets. Yeah mom, I'm REALLY going to listen to you about eating habits!

ok....rant over lol I just read your post and thought that sounded like me a lot lol I swear, everytime my dad sees me, he grabs me and says "you're all bones" lol yeah....I know.....working on it! :P
#21 Old 02-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

People told you you're eating too many fruits and vegetables and not smothering things in enough oil? Wow..... There's simply no point in taking nonsense like that seriously, I would just laugh it off.

YOU know what's right for you and how healthy you feel, that's what's important. There will always be negative people who are jealous of you and try to bring you down, its just their own insecurity talking.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page