Getting enough protein on a calorie restricted diet? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

When I switched to vegetarianism, I didn't have any problem at all getting the protein I needed. I was actually shocked that I was getting more like 80-90g a day when I was an omni.

Now I'm trying to lose weight and I'm limiting my calories to about 1200-1300 a day. I'm only getting about 30-35 g now. Is this ok until I lose the weight and can increase my calories back up? Or should I work harder to get the other 10 g in? I have 40 lbs to lose, so it's going to take me the better part of a year probably, maybe longer.

I eat lots of fruit and veggies. I eat a fair amount of beans and lentils and grains. I haven't been doing any dairy or eggs. If I need to eat more, where to I get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2010, 01:40 AM

I don't know the answer to your question but if you're not eating dairy, make sure you get your B12 in somehow.
#3 Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Banned

Who put you on the calorie restricted diet? I hope you've consulted your doctor about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-04-2010, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

yea, that diet is too low, unless you are under a physicians guidance. It takes a woman 1500 calories a day just to keep her alive lying in bed all day doing nothing! The number of grams of protein sounds fine, since they don't really know still to this day how much is actually needed. (That comes from several sources) and Americans typically eat way too much protein.

Please be careful with that caloric number, and seek a nutritionist's advice or your primary provider.

Oh yeah, and on a positive note...exercise and weight training will help the weight fall off faster than diet alone! Also eating a very clean diet, eliminating all or most processed foods, sugar, added salt, and high fat foods will help you see your goals much faster, while doing what you are doing, with the veggies, fruits, grains, and legumes. Get rid of the white bread, and eat whole grains whenever you can. The extra fiber will help keep you fuller longer. Even make your own breads, then you know what goes into what you are eating.

The beginning of this yr, I eliminated dairy and eggs from my diet, and really became more strict with my diet (food intake), cooking everything I eat, making enough for leftovers, and also eliminated processed foods....I lost 4 more pounds. Getting rid of the cheese was the hardest thing, but I'm sure it was adding extra calories where I certainly didn't need them!

Good luck, losing weight isn't the easiest thing, but so worth it in the end!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#5 Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Veggie Regular

where do you get more calories? Avacados, nuts, olive or canola oils.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

#6 Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 AM
Veggie Regular

1200 is the number I've heard as far as women dieting. I have plenty of energy and have been working out too. I'm pretty short, so I don't think I need as much food as other people. If I eat more calories the weight just doesn't come off. 1500 seems more like what I need to maintain. I don't have a doctor because I have no insurance. I'm trying to diet so I don't end up with diabetes and still no insurance.
#7 Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 AM

I would recommend eating 6 smaller meals rather then three big ones. My natropath changed my eating habits and cutting out processed foods, sugar, salt, etc and change me from a three meal a day to 6 small meals a day. I lost 5 pounds and felt so much better. I have always been a light eater so by having 6 meals I was actually eating more food but over the course of the day rather than stuffing myself. I would also recommend seeing a nutrianist or doctor, not because you have an issues but for guidance and help. Also there is a lot of research on line about the calories intake women should get for their hight and age. I wish you the best of luck!
#8 Old 02-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^^ that's called grazing. Much better for the blood sugars too, keeping them more even keeled. I eat 4-5 times a day.

#9 Old 02-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

If you want to lose weight going down to 1,200 is fine, but increase it to 1,500 - 2,000 on days that are really busy physical-wise. I try and stick to 1,200 - 1,300 and I find it's fine for me (slow metabolism, sedentary job, and it helps me to avoid fatty things that you usually add to food lioke buttery spreads, sugars in coffee etc.) but everyone is different. I find when I work out I need to up the amount to be successful.

As far as protein goes I get a lot of mine from almond milk, controlled amounts of tofu, and if I have left over calories in a day I'll have maybe a bit of peanut butter on a rye-crisp. Sometimes I make soups with lbeans or entils in them because then you get the odd bean here and there and are eating other things so you feel satisfied (and aren't going over calories with the amount of beans).
#10 Old 02-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

1200 is the number I've heard as far as women dieting. I have plenty of energy and have been working out too. I'm pretty short, so I don't think I need as much food as other people. If I eat more calories the weight just doesn't come off. 1500 seems more like what I need to maintain. I don't have a doctor because I have no insurance. I'm trying to diet so I don't end up with diabetes and still no insurance.

Check out Dr McDougall. Pretty good advice for losing weight and reversing diabetes. I know I wasn't able to reverse mine til I went to 10% of my total calories from fat. Dietary fat appears to plug up your insulin receptor sites, which prevents your cells from being able to burn glucose. If you aren't diabetic yet, losing weight and keeping your dietary fat intake low should keep you from becoming so. I have no insurance so was on my own in dealing with my elevated blood sugar, and I tried everything I came across, herbs, special foods, cutting out sugar, etc., but I had no success til I cut out dietary fat. Maybe different things work for different people, but this is what worked for me.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

I forgot to point out that mine was insulin resistance, not lack of insulin. I was able to produce insulin, but I wasn't able to make use of it.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#11 Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Silken tofu in a fruit smoothie is a good way to get a bunch of protein without using up a lot of your calorie allowance.

Smoothies are the answer to everything

life's not a paragraph
and death i think is no paranthesis
#12 Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Who put you on the calorie restricted diet? I hope you've consulted your doctor about this?

What would a doctor be able to tell her about diet and nutrition? It would make more sense to consult a nutritionist or a dietician, not a doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

yea, that diet is too low, unless you are under a physicians guidance. It takes a woman 1500 calories a day just to keep her alive lying in bed all day doing nothing!

I need only 1370 calories per day to maintain my weight.
#13 Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

you have to worry about muscle breakdown/ketosis when you are too calorie restricted...a Dr can order labs and monitor kidney function and protein excretion in the urine, which a dieticitan can not do....I agree that a nutritionist is a great idea, if you can find one who will work with and support a vegetarian diet.

The other issue with the OP is she said she is trying to lose weight, also a good idea to seek a professional's ok.....Abbey, if you've been veg for awhile, and maybe don't have weight to lose, you could very well be at a state where you don't require a lot of calories.....or maybe you're petitie or not very active....everyone has a different caloric need....but that 1500 cal came from education material I used to teach in health/nutirition classes for an inpt rehab.

#14 Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

Yeah, if I'm not exercising, I don't lose weight unless I get less than 1200 calories a day. Anything over 1500, and I'm gaining weight. Oddly though I seem to require more dietary fat than a lot of people - not more calories, just more fat.

I think everyone is different, and as long as a person has enough energy and doesn't feel sick, they're probably fine even if their calorie needs seem low.

life's not a paragraph
and death i think is no paranthesis
#15 Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That sounds awfully low. Most people require much more...
#16 Old 02-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Just wanted to update. I googled calorie calculators and took an average from 8 of them and came up with 1400. I've been eating that on average for a while now and I'm losing about 1 1/2 lb a week and have plenty of energy. I want to reiterate that I will not be seeing any doctor or nutritionist. I have no insurance and no money to pay for it. Quite honestly I don't trust doctors at all with nutrition and I've had bad experiences with nutritionists in the past. My daughter has seen 5 and they were just awful. I realize child nutrition and adult nutrition are different, but all 5 told me that my very sedentary daughter (cannot lift her head or move much at all) needed the same amount of calories as a fully-functioning child and she got so fat that she couldn't breathe properly and had other problems from frequent vomiting. I handle her nutrition now and her pediatrician told me I'm more than capable. So, sorry to any nutritionists that are reading. They almost killed my child. So I won't be seeing one.
#17 Old 02-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

That sounds awfully low. Most people require much more...

I know, it is pretty low. But that's just the calories required per day for me to not move at all! Though unfortunately at my job, I pretty much don't move for 8 hours a day . I do work out a lot though, so I always eat more than 1370 a day.
#18 Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

yea, that diet is too low, unless you are under a physicians guidance. It takes a woman 1500 calories a day just to keep her alive lying in bed all day doing nothing! The number of grams of protein sounds fine, since they don't really know still to this day how much is actually needed. (That comes from several sources) and Americans typically eat way too much protein.

I disagree with this. 1300 calories is what I eat and I've lost 77 lbs the last 6 months. She's fine.. You really don't need as many calories as you think. It's about what you eat- continue eating lots of fruit and veggies and track your calories and exercise. Don't kill yourself in the gym since you're in-taking fewer calories and drink LOTS of water. Dont worry, I've eaten that amount of calories for months and I feel totally fine. You might feel hungry the first few weeks, but eat frequent healthy snacks every 3-4 hours and you'll be ok. Stick with it!
#19 Old 02-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraglare View Post

I disagree with this. 1300 calories is what I eat and I've lost 77 lbs the last 6 months. She's fine.. You really don't need as many calories as you think. It's about what you eat- continue eating lots of fruit and veggies and track your calories and exercise. Don't kill yourself in the gym since you're in-taking fewer calories and drink LOTS of water. Dont worry, I've eaten that amount of calories for months and I feel totally fine. You might feel hungry the first few weeks, but eat frequent healthy snacks every 3-4 hours and you'll be ok. Stick with it!

I just figured out that basically you lost 12.8 pounds a month, so roughly 3 pounds per week. you were able to do that, because you are on such a low caloric intake. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 pound of fat, so you were down 10,500 calories per week in order to lose 3 pounds per week....if you had a lot to lose, then sure, that may have been very possible, or, you were actually losing muscle instead of fat, because you weren't consuming enough calories. I wouldn't tell anyone that 1300 calories was ok, that should be left up to a Dr or nutritionist. If people are absolutely ok with that intake for themselves, so be it...but if she is going to try working out in the gym, she would need more calories a day, or she will be losing muscle. Losing weight is about being in a caloric deficit, but you still have to supply the body with enough calories to let it live and survive optimally.

The other problem with losing muscle, is, that is nondiscriminatory where it comes from....whether it's your arms, legs or toes, your heart is a muscle too, and it's not uncommon for the other organs to be negatively affected by the body's starvation mode.....the body will break down tissue to use as fuel.

#20 Old 02-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know, it is pretty low. But that's just the calories required per day for me to not move at all! Though unfortunately at my job, I pretty much don't move for 8 hours a day . I do work out a lot though, so I always eat more than 1370 a day.

Oooh I thought you meant if you ate any more then that you'd gain weight!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page