Frying without oil - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

I would cut an awful lot of calories and fat from my diet if I could stop using oil to fry things in. However, I kind that the 1 calorie sprays don't really get the job done and my spices and seeds are getting burned. The only other thing I can think of to us is vegan margarine, but that is still a lot of fat and calories.

I know I could eliminate the problem by not frying, but it's pretty much essential for my style of cooking to fry spices and it just doesn't work with a dry pan.

Anyone have any ideas of how I could make my meals healthier this way?

Lunch and dinner is always rice with dal and a vegetable side dish. Both the dal and side dish require spicing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been wondering the same thing!

I've tried frying thing in low-cal fat-free salad dressings as they have moisture, flavour, and a bit of oil and it works, and if I need to stop things from getting burned I add just a bit of water to stretch it out.

I'm just trying to bake things more as I can't find a solution for some of my recipes....*sigh*
#3 Old 01-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Banned

Ooh that's a good idea, Alicia. I thought of adding water but wasn't quite sure what would happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

#5 Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I've used water to keep things from sticking. it does the job. Just gotta watch splashing.

The Big Bad.
#6 Old 01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, you can use water, and also use a lid so the water doesn't evaporate too quickly.
#7 Old 01-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

So do I need to start off with a bit of oil and then add water when the oil runs out, or can I fry directly in water?

I know I'm asking stupid questions but I was never taught how to cook, I just kinda learned to do it my own way :/

Quote:

Thanks, some good tips there. I do have very good non-stick pans but sticking isn't really the problem, it's more that my spices are burning. Maybe the pan is too hot... but it has to be hot enough to crack the cumin/mustard/fenugreek seeds. Argh I don't know!
#8 Old 01-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

why don't you toast them in a dry heavy pan (just get them warm, shaking them about, until they start to smell aromatic), and then crack them with a pestle and mortar? thats what i do with cumin a lot of the time.
#9 Old 01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned

But... effort
#10 Old 01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't use any oil - just use water initially and add more as needed.
#11 Old 01-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

But... effort

effort? come on.... its the same amount of effort really. you still have them in a pan, just instead of having to lug a bottle of oil around, you hit them a bit with a little hammer.
#12 Old 01-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

effort? come on.... its the same amount of effort really. you still have them in a pan, just instead of having to lug a bottle of oil around, you hit them a bit with a little hammer.

I don't have a little hammer, do you think if I stare at them really hard they might crack?
#13 Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I don't have a little hammer, do you think if I stare at them really hard they might crack?

no. they're not nuts, they're seeds. unlike me.

but.... if you have a rolling pin or beer bottle, and a mug, you could put them in the mug and stuff the end of the beer bottle/rolling pin in on top of them and twist it about a bit, cunningly like.
#14 Old 01-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Dr. McDougall recommends the saute' method with water.

It does work.
#15 Old 01-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Frying without oil? *Shudders*
#16 Old 01-16-2010, 04:17 AM
Veggie Regular

^^

I'd definitely try it with a touch of water, no oil. You just need something in there that's wet, I think.
#17 Old 01-16-2010, 04:31 AM
Banned

I've been living off leftovers for the past few days so I have yet to try the saute in water method, but I'm definitely going to give it a try. Also looking forward to bashing up seeds with a rolling pin... just have to decide whether to picture them as Gordon Ramsay or Ingrid Newkirk. Thank you for all the advice
#18 Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's interesting that there are still people around who claim that "water sauteeing" tastes the same as "frying in oil". It just doesn't taste the same.
#19 Old 01-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Beginner

How much oil do you use for these spices? I mean, in the whole scheme of things, it might be worth it. A little fat is good for you. I'm sure a little fat is all you use. I'd rather learn to jog another half mile than learn how to not use any fat at all in cooking.
#20 Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

You don't need much oil to fry spices.
#21 Old 01-22-2010, 11:46 AM

I sometimes use vegetable stock and soya sauce to stir fry veggies. (I had sliced plantains fried in oil today though and they were delicious although probably very fattening!)
#22 Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Some foods need oil to taste good but some surprisingly do not. Veggie chili, Spanish rice and Chinese stir fry do not need one drop of oil. You can get away with not using oil cooking veggie burgers and some other fake meats that are naturally low in fat if accompanied with the proper condiments.

One trick I like to use when trying to cook low fat is to add a tiny bit of oil at the last minute. It stays on the surface and gives the effect of oil, but isn't soaked all the way through.
#23 Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Some foods need oil to taste good but some surprisingly do not. Veggie chili, Spanish rice and Chinese stir fry do not need one drop of oil. You can get away with not using oil cooking veggie burgers and some other fake meats that are naturally low in fat if accompanied with the proper condiments.

One trick I like to use when trying to cook low fat is to add a tiny bit of oil at the last minute. It stays on the surface and gives the effect of oil, but isn't soaked all the way through.

Hmmm Intresting.....I am going to have to try that out.....Sounds Yummy Though
#24 Old 01-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm loving this whole saute in water thing. It's been working out for us really well. I just cook with a measuring cup of water next to the stove and add maybe a teaspoon at a time.
#25 Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Don't use Olive Oil because it has been found that when heated, the molecular structure changes and can cause carcinogens. Instead, try using Pure Coconut Oil. It comes in a solid form and melts when heated. It is much healthier than the other alternatives, and will keep your spices and food from sticking. Hope that helps !
#26 Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Beginner

I swear by using a minimal amount of oil (canola for high heat with a higher smoke point than olive oil), and the water method.

Another tip is to be sure to use a heavy gauge pan that circulates heat well. This will help reduce scorching.

After cooking I always put a couple of cups of water in the hot pan immediately (beware of splattering) for soaking and have found that it self-cleans off a lot of stubborn food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page