Skinny ***** - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-22-2009, 10:02 PM

Anyone else read this book? While I wanted to be a vegetarian for a while, its this book that made me finally stop avoiding it and do it. I just bought it and am not done with it yet.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it. Thumbs up? Down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I liked it. I mean, it was mostly info I already knew, and I read it after going vegetarian, but I enjoyed it.
#3 Old 11-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Not a fan of any of their books or the authors themselves but they seem to be converting people so that's good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I really liked the book, read it in a few hours. Mostly review for me, but the meal plan and schedule stuff was new, and it's really helped me.
#5 Old 11-23-2009, 01:11 PM

I'm finding it pretty informative so far. Haven't finished it cuz my mom stole it. Maybe it'll convert her too!
#6 Old 11-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodykins View Post

I'm finding it pretty informative so far. Haven't finished it cuz my mom stole it. Maybe it'll convert her too!

We have two copies in our household, and often loan them out. If you really like the book, you can always score a couple more copies on amazon (used) for super cheap, and lend them to friends.
#7 Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Beginner

I'm glad it's converting people but it relies way too much on processed foods. Good for people transitioning though.
#8 Old 11-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodykins View Post

Thumbs up? Down?

Down. Horrible book.
#9 Old 11-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I liked it, but I was already vegetarian. I can see how it can be grating for people who aren't veg*n. Also, I agreed that it relied to much on processed food. Just because you are skinny, doesn't mean you are healthy.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#10 Old 11-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I loved it. I read it when I was already vegetarian, but hadn't been for long. It helped me by giving me more information and incentive to stick with it forever. I think it's important for new vegetarians/vegans to read many things when they start to convert so they can see the different aspects of it (health benefits, animal rights, environment, etc) so they are less likely to switch back.

I also let my friend borrow it, who then decided to be vegan. It's a good "converting" book I think. And it gets at a different part of the population, the people who are more concerned about weight loss and health than animal rights. Those people usually get into animal rights aspects later on, but I don't think they would be as persuaded by something related to that. If I just showed my friend "Meet Your Meat" I know she would be mad at me for showing her something so gruesome. She might stop eating meat. But, she might not feel as strong of a connection than if it were for a reason that directly benefits her. And yeah, Skinny ***** has some unpleasant parts in it, but I don't think it's too much to scare off the average person.

I like the language and the way it's written. I think a lot of people need that. Like for me, before I was vegetarian, I ate McDonalds and fried food every day, rarely ate vegetables, and was generally an awful eater. Anytime I would hear nutrition info, it would be like "Yeah, yeah, I already know I eat badly, but I don't really care." But Skinny ***** is more of a wake up call, like "Hey, you're an idiot if you keep doing that to your body and expect to be healthy and lose weight. What are you thinking??"

I don't even remember the plan in there, so I didn't realize it was so much about processed foods. But I think even if people don't read or follow that part, they will still get the majority of the important information. And, processed vegan foods are much better than processed non-vegan foods for those people who wouldn't switch otherwise, so I'm okay with it. Once people go vegan they probably start cooking more and learning their own favorite foods, so they probably don't follow the plan very long.
#11 Old 11-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I read it a while ago. All I remember is that 'white flour is the devil'. Which is a good message in my opinion
#12 Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 PM

I agree, the book is a great wake up call. I knew most of the info in the book, but I loved the way it was written. I also have a copy I share with friends or anyone interested in vegan diet. i love one of the quotes, "feel like crap, look at the crap you put in your body". So now, for me, bad foods = crap. Helps keep me in line
#13 Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 AM
CKR

That book is what influenced me to go vegetarian as well. I even quoted it for one of my English papers recently-lol. But yeah, it's a straight talking book with good humor to grab the reader's attention. I think that in your face attitude is needed sometimes with an issue such as animal cruelty.
#14 Old 12-05-2009, 07:10 PM

Love the Skinny *****es! I didn't know that book was about a vegan lifestyle until I started reading it. The straight talk is so good... no plan... just changing to better eating habits for life. It's so awesome to have something mainstream advocating the cruelty free diet. I skipped the chapter about the animal treatment since I already know and it really bums me out...

I've been doing their boot camp video too. It's cardio, strength & abs all in one workout. Very good.
#15 Old 12-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I read the men's version. Very good.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#16 Old 12-08-2009, 05:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflon View Post

Down. Horrible book.

Kind of poor form in my opinion to wander in and pan a book if you aren't going to lay out a real argument for your opinion.

You're the only person in this thread that:

1. Didn't like the book.

2. Didn't explain why or why not.

hmmm...
#17 Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I read it, it's what converted me Definitely in-your-face, but hey, it worked.

The cookbook is not very good though. I always mention the vegan club sandwich - vegan bread, vegan bacon, vegan cheese, vegan mayo, lettuce, tomato... or something like that. There are a couple decent recipes, but I definitely don't recommend it.
#18 Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 AM

Read it... well, listened to it via audiobook. I liked the in-your-face style. I often play excerpts while others are in the car with me (Oh, you don't mind if I listen to my book while we drive, do you?") and it has prompted some promising conversation and discussion.
#19 Old 12-11-2009, 07:35 PM

Skinny ***** is also what prompted me to become veg*n.

More specifically, the excerpts from the book "Slaughterhouse". I haven't finished it, but after reading this post, I'm going to get off the internet and start reading.
#20 Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 AM
Beginner

i loved it. i was on my way to going veg*n when a friend told me about this book.
#21 Old 12-12-2009, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist View Post

Kind of poor form in my opinion to wander in and pan a book if you aren't going to lay out a real argument for your opinion.

You're the only person in this thread that:

1. Didn't like the book.

2. Didn't explain why or why not.

hmmm...

I'm sorry I didn't measure up to your high standards...
#22 Old 12-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm sorry I didn't measure up to your high standards...

I don't think that's the reason he replied to your original post like that. It's perfectly OK for you to not like it, but I'm also curious as to why. Whatever part you didn't like, could also be affecting many other people who read the book.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#23 Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't like this book either. I had issues with all the "fat hate" in the book. The entire book is riddled with insults calling women "fat, lazy, disgusting pigs" etc. There's enough pressure and bs from the media telling women they need to be a certain size and how women have to be thin in order to be attractive. I believe women should instead be taught to love their bodies and embrace their curves not be put down and insulted about them. I think the book is also possibly dangerous to young teens who already have self esteem issues as it is and they don't need ex models telling them how gross and fat they are.

Sure they promote veganism and have converted people but vegans come in all shapes and sizes. Veganism also doesn't equal instant weightloss. The message "you're a disgusting, fat pig" in order to promote veganism I don't agree with whatsoever.

Some of the information they presented was nothing new. "Artificial sweetners are bad, whole wheat flour is better than white flour/sugar" etc.

They also didn't take into a account that not all readers can afford the expensive products that they are promoting and are able to buy certain products from the stores they mention. Because not everyone can afford to only buy organic products and throw out all their non vegan things they are criticized and insulted in the book.
#24 Old 12-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I was not aware of all the "fat hate" in the book. Perhaps it's because I was once of the morbidly obese omni's that already hated their own fatness. Some fat people have actual medical conditions that contribute to their fatness. I sorta fell into that category. Hypothyroidism, in combination with some prescription meds I was on, was a rocket-sled to fatville.

Now I live a meat-free lifestyle, the only prescription medication I take is FOR my thyroid imbalance, I exercise and I'm losing weight. I am reaping every benefit promised in the book except for the "taste test" in the men's book. Call me a sissy.

Edit: After a quick review of the book, I do see the fat hate. BUT, name one person, that loves being fat? I can't. I hated my fat and I am damn happy to be getting rid of it.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#25 Old 12-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMarie View Post

Skinny ***** is also what prompted me to become veg*n.

More specifically, the excerpts from the book "Slaughterhouse". I haven't finished it, but after reading this post, I'm going to get off the internet and start reading.

I read both Skinny ***** and Slaughterhouse.

I love them both but slaughterhouse was way more informative as to what goes on in the actual slaughter process not only with animal rights but human and worker rights as well.

I am not reading Fast Food Nation, as well as Food Inc (which I watched the movie - documentary yesterday). To me, the more I read about the horrors, the more I learn about the industry and it keeps me on track. Skinny ***** is what made me initially go vegetarian though. That is where I found out about Slaughterhouse so I ordered it on Amazon RIGHT AWAY and by the time I finished Skinny ***** I was reading Slaughterhouse.

I will never look back, this is one of the best choices I have ever made.

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#26 Old 12-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

I was not aware of all the "fat hate" in the book. Perhaps it's because I was once of the morbidly obese omni's that already hated their own fatness. Some fat people have actual medical conditions that contribute to their fatness. I sorta fell into that category. Hypothyroidism, in combination with some prescription meds I was on, was a rocket-sled to fatville.

Now I live a meat-free lifestyle, the only prescription medication I take is FOR my thyroid imbalance, I exercise and I'm losing weight. I am reaping every benefit promised in the book except for the "taste test" in the men's book. Call me a sissy.

Edit: After a quick review of the book, I do see the fat hate. BUT, name one person, that loves being fat? I can't. I hated my fat and I am damn happy to be getting rid of it.

I apologize but I hate it when people use hypothyroidism as an excuse for being overweight. I have it, have had it since birth and the only thing I have had problems with is concentration. Although things effect people differently and I am not talking about you as an individual but I know people who have said "I'm so fat, I must have hypothyroidism...." It's pathetic.

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#27 Old 12-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

I don't think that's the reason he replied to your original post like that.

I thought talking to me like that deserved a little sarcasm.

Really, if you just want to know why people hate the book, just ask "Can you elaborate why you didn't like the book?" and it's ok.

Quote:
It's perfectly OK for you to not like it, but I'm also curious as to why. Whatever part you didn't like, could also be affecting many other people who read the book.

fadeaway1289 pretty much summed it up already. I didn't like the tone, the fat hate and the hypocrisy about "processed foods" while they recommend a whole lot of processed vegan foods. Going vegan also doesn't automatically mean you're losing weight. That's simply a lie.

There is enough fatism and fat hate around - we don't need another book promoting that. Veganism is about compassion for me - and that includes human beings as well, including fat ones. I hope not too many people like that book because it also bashes fat people ("finally someone is telling the truth about the lazy blobs without being politically correct"), feeding into their already present fat hate.

IMO it's a very insulting book. Books written by e. g. McDougall or Fuhrman or Barnard can do without fatism and fat hate, yet they're convincing people of a plant based nutrition.
#28 Old 12-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessss2008 View Post

I apologize but I hate it when people use hypothyroidism as an excuse for being overweight.

I hate that as well and yes, maybe someone could call it pathetic but... Why see people the need to excuse themselves for being overweight at all? Because there is so much fatism around.

Most fat people I've come across (talking as a physician) struggle quite a lot with their weight. They don't sit around all day stuffing themselves and are happy that they're fat (and often but not always unhealthy on top of that). Most of them try really hard to lose weight, some manage to do but so many of them gain the weight back. It's frustrating for both the doctor (because we can't really offer a good therapy) and the patient (because they fail despite a lot of hard work).

I think the last thing fat people need is another insulting pamphlet.
#29 Old 12-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessss2008 View Post

but I know people who have said "I'm so fat, I must have hypothyroidism...." It's pathetic.

All you have to say is "show me the blood work"

Quote:

IMO it's a very insulting book. Books written by e. g. McDougall or Fuhrman or Barnard can do without fatism and fat hate, yet they're convincing people of a plant based nutrition.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I think of "Skinny *******" as a social commentary book, and McDougall's or T. Colin Campbell's books as more medical/health centered.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#30 Old 12-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Going vegan also doesn't automatically mean you're losing weight. That's simply a lie.

They say in the book that going vegan doesn't mean you will be skinny. They also say that going vegan doesn't mean you should be a *****, they say don't go bragging about it but if someone offer meat kindly explain you don't eat it and end the conversation. If someone chooses to continue the conversation then so be it and offer to lend them the copy of the book. They also said it is not a matter of being skinny but healthy and they may not lose any weight. One of the authors from what I remember is not that skinny herself but I bet she is a lot healthier now then she ever was.

I never followed the day to day planner or even read that chapter and I had NO idea what I was doing.

*goes and gets copy and reads*

Ok now I see where it says "you will be thin, your life will change and you will lose weight".

*goes to food list and picks random "day"*

TEUSDAY:

B-fast:

Fresh squeezed OJ, whole grain muffin, soy butter, bananas and strawberries

Lunch:

Tabouli Salad with marinated tofu, eggplant and red peppers]

Dinner:

Veggie Nachos

How is this processed? I remember when reading that they really stressed eating fresh foods and snacking was ok as long as it was say....an apple or something healthy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page