Why am I so thin? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-05-2009, 11:51 PM

People always ask me "how do you stay so thin?!". I get the impression they think I have an eating disorder because I am so thin (bout 105 pounds, 174cm). They are gobsmacked when they see how much I eat.

My question is....why I am so thin?

I eat just as much, if not more than my peers. I run twice a week and I am very active every other day. I have a healthy diet. Is it that i'm not getting enough protein or fat?

Does anyone else share this same problem? Well, I wouldn't call it a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you discussed this with your doctor? There are multiple medical conditions that could be causing this. Or you may not be eating enough for your level of activity.

If my late night calculations are correct, your BMI is only 16 which means you are considered to be underweight.

You could try adding some healthy high calorie foods to your current diet, things like nuts and nut butters, seeds, avocado, coconut milk & oil, etc.

But definitely ask your doctor about it, if you haven't already.
#3 Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I agree to ask your doctor. You could possibly have an overactive thyroid.

Plus, what some consider to be "a lot" of food can be very different than what others perceive it to be. Granted, you said people are surprised when they see how much you eat - but do you always eat that much, or maybe just when you happen to be around people? (For example, on the flip side, I have seen plenty of overweight people who never eat, or only eat salads, but obviously they must be eating something else/more at home.) Do you get busy and forget to eat sometimes? Do you have any idea how many calories you're eating per day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

It probably is just that your metabolism is unnaturally high. You ARE really thin though. If you are eating well and getting a normal amount of fat, might as well go see your doc just to make sure.

Some people are made to be thin and some heavy. I really do believe it's not everything to do w/diet or exercise.
#5 Old 11-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

How old are you? I was a complete string bean until my mid 20s and I know what you mean about the comments. It's so much more acceptable to comment on a skinny person's body than a heavier person's body for whatever silly reason. Now I'm 36 and I have to watch what I eat and exercise to stay thin so if you are young just enjoy it.

Nikki
#6 Old 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki View Post

Some people are made to be thin and some heavy. I really do believe it's not everything to do w/diet or exercise.

me too.
#7 Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaKatie View Post

People always ask me "how do you stay so thin?!". I get the impression they think I have an eating disorder because I am so thin (bout 105 pounds, 174cm). They are gobsmacked when they see how much I eat.

I eat just as much, if not more than my peers. I run twice a week and I am very active every other day. I have a healthy diet. Is it that i'm not getting enough protein or fat?

oh gosh... i'm almost double that. close to 200lbs at the same height of 174cm (sucks being a dude at that height). You should be proud... most models probably aspire to be like you anatomically (super slim at 5'8 - 5'10).
#8 Old 11-12-2009, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbubbles View Post

How old are you?

That was the first question that came to my mind. I've known quite a few people who can't gain weight when younger no matter how hard they try. It normally changes once you age, then you have to really watch and change you habits so you don't blow up.

My brother was one of those people, he ate everything that wasn't tied down when he was younger and still managed to be slightly underweight. Nowadays he is working at losing 100 pounds as he didn't change his habits when he became older. I don't think the weight gain started until his late-20's.
#9 Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

There is always the possibility of a parasite like a tape worm that could be stealing nutrients from you as well...which cycles us back to the doctor...
#10 Old 11-12-2009, 07:16 PM

You say you eat a lot. Have you actually logged your exercise and calories for a week to see the real numbers? If you do decide to see a Dr. having an actual account to show him/her will be a real help. Also make sure you show the Dr. your dietary nutrient numbers. Many Drs. will tell you that you are underweight because you are not eating meat. Don't let them do that to you. In fact, you may want to find a MD who is vegan friendly so he/she will be more supportive of your lifestyle.
#11 Old 11-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

i have the same problem at the moment. i tracked what i ate and it's around 2500 (and i was recommended 1550 for my height and weight when sedentary) and my only exercise is walking about two hours a day.

i too am getting comments and I don't like it..

did you go to the doctor??
#12 Old 11-16-2009, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Walking two hours a day?! I wouldn't look any farther than that for an explanation.
#13 Old 11-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post

Walking two hours a day?! I wouldn't look any farther than that for an explanation.

not particularly fast. just to uni and back. and i eat more on the days i do that (it's only weekdays) ?!
#14 Old 11-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaKatie View Post

Apparently it IS a problem. for fertility and future health etc. But do you FEEL ok?? energy etc ?
#15 Old 11-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeans View Post

not particularly fast. just to uni and back. and i eat more on the days i do that (it's only weekdays) ?!

Still is a heck of a lot of walking!
#16 Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I walk 3 hrs a day some days. I guess I'm used to it because it doesn't seem like that much.
#17 Old 11-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Yeah I went to a nutritionist and she basically told me that I need to eat meat or else I could have some serious health problems. Not going back to her thats for sure!!

I feel good though. I think I may need to add more carbs. I dont eat a hang of a lot carbohydrates because I just LOVE my veges and fruit. I might try find a nutritionist who knows a bit more about the vegetarian diet and what I need.
#18 Old 11-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Weight is mainly calories in, calories out. If you're active you're burning off what you ate. To gain weight, eat more excersize less.
#19 Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, definately, if you're walking two or three hours a day or smething similar which is quite extreme in my books, exercise less.
#20 Old 11-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

The dogs don't think it's extreme.

The OP could also try drinking calories too. I have no problems maintaining weight as I don't like water all that much (bad, I know) so I drink what ends up being several hundred calories worth of Starbucks, fruit juice, etc.
#21 Old 11-22-2009, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Walking isn't extreme.

Climbing up the side of a cliff and hang gliding down would be extreme.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page