August Weight Loss Challenge - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Everyone. Here's your place to get encouragement and accountability for the month of August. This is the place to state your goals, victories or slip-ups and generally encourage each other on our weight loss journey.

The hot days of summer are still with us and all that comes with hot weather. Keep eating smart and clean and keep up the exercise as best you can in hot weather. Drink plenty of water and liquids, wear sunscreen and stay away from sugary drinks and frozen treats. Make a plan for the month. State your goals and get to it. Post as often as you want or need to. This is your place for support. Do not become discouraged if you slip up and eat off plan or not get in your exercise goals. Just coming here will keep you encouraged to keep up the good work. Each day dawns bright and new and so we can carry on and know that one off-plan day or even a bad week is not a disaster. Here's to a great, healthy August!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay, it's August! I haven't tracked food all this week, and all my exercise came from moving a friend. For 5 days. Because her life has imploded around her and she's too busy complaining about it to be proactive, and I've had to be patronizing and mothering to someone 5 years older than I... long, bitter story.

Anyway, I didn't make any progress last week.

But now it's August! Aaaaand I'm going home for two weeks and going to eat all the stuff I can't eat when I'm in Japan, and therefore going to regress a bit... hah.

But, goals:

Walk the dog every day while I'm in San Diego, bike at least 3 times a week when I'm back in Japan

Be reasonable about food while in in SD, track and stick to a max of 10 extra points per week while in Japan

Continue tracking food in SD, even if I go over points a lot

Lots of water

Don't let waist go above 30", preferably keep at current 29.75"

Happy August, everyone!
#3 Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to Cuba! We're leaving at the end of August and we'll be there for a week. To get myself bikini-ready, I've decided to go out and get a "goal" bikini this weekend.

Here's the plan - as I've got a small window here to make a big change, I'm going for high intensity here, but as I'm virtually completely sedentary, I should see pretty good results just be exercising at all.

I checked out myyogaonline.com and have committed to do at least one yoga vid per day. I'm also taking the dog and my cat for walks every night (they have to be walked separately, as they do NOT get along!! So that's a double walk there). What's more, I work about 5 days a week and the plan is to walk to and from work. I'm worried about putting too much strainon my knee, as I injured it last March, but as long as I don't run it seems to have stopped complaining, so that's why I'm putting so much walking in there.

My problem is, I haven't got the fist idea what to do about food. I'm thinking I might re-read Skinny B****, I seem to remember there being good visuals on exactly why I should avoid certain things, but it's been a couple years since I read it.

Otherwise, I'm a vegan, so I've already lost the 20 pounds from quitting dairy... but I seem to have found it again around the same time I found out Oreos were vegan.

My goal is to lose those 20 pounds again. I'm at 170 right now, but 150 looks pretty good on me, apparently. I seem to carry it well... yay me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post

My problem is, I haven't got the fist idea what to do about food. I'm thinking I might re-read Skinny B****, I seem to remember there being good visuals on exactly why I should avoid certain things, but it's been a couple years since I read it.

That's a good idea. Basically, you want to have TONS of dark green food. It's awesome for you. Beyond that, as long as you're eating a wide variety of stuff you should be fine. Beans, nuts, seeds, legumes, whole grains, fruits and veggies of lots of different colors, etc.

Quote:
My goal is to lose those 20 pounds again. I'm at 170 right now, but 150 looks pretty good on me, apparently. I seem to carry it well... yay me!

I wouldn't expect to lose 20 pounds in one month, but kicking into high gear with the exercise will set you on your way towards that, for sure. For most people, 1-2 pounds loss per week is healthy, so a max of around 8 for one month. But the more you have to lose, the higher that number will start out, plus everyone's body is different.
#5 Old 08-01-2009, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a nice simple goal to get down. I bought some jeans from trade me (NZ auction site) and they will not quite do up. So, I want to lose just enough weight to fit into them. My basic plan is stop snacking on things like chocolate, and do some form of exercise each day. The jeans are very nice so they'll be good motivation. =]
#6 Old 08-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone! So here I am again, continuing on this journey! I weigh 126.2 as of this morning so I lost 3 pounds in July. A record for me I think! My measurements stayed the same so I have yet to find a waist! We are going to try the "couch to 5K" running program. I don't know if I can actually RUN but I am game to try! Goals are the same as always: Eat healthy and exercise!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#7 Old 08-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

That's a good idea. Basically, you want to have TONS of dark green food. It's awesome for you. Beyond that, as long as you're eating a wide variety of stuff you should be fine. Beans, nuts, seeds, legumes, whole grains, fruits and veggies of lots of different colors, etc.

Cool I already love spinach, so looks like I'm on my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

I wouldn't expect to lose 20 pounds in one month, but kicking into high gear with the exercise will set you on your way towards that, for sure. For most people, 1-2 pounds loss per week is healthy, so a max of around 8 for one month. But the more you have to lose, the higher that number will start out, plus everyone's body is different.

Well, even so, if I only lose 8 pounds but look awesome, I'll be happy. Maybe increased muscle tone will make my new 162 look like my old 150?
#8 Old 08-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi All

My weight is good, Ive been staying on track. I have lost 10lbs

so my goals for the month.

1. Keep drinking lots of water

2. Limit Junk food

3. Keep exercising
#9 Old 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Beginner

My goals for the next week (I'm trying to take it one week at a time, so I don't get discouraged...)

Get (at least)6 portions of Veggies and 3 portions of fruits and 4-5 portions of wholegrains a day

Make a food plan and actually stick to it

Stock my pantry

Cook from Scratch at least 4 times next week

Consume food with in my daily points allowance.

Track all food eaten on WW

Consume no dairy for at least 4 days next week.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." - Charles Darwin
http://leighonamission.wordress.com
#10 Old 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Just thought I'd check in and say I made it back to San Diego in one piece, which I celebrated with a veggie corn dog and soy ice cream

Gonna walk the dog today.
#11 Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi there. My goals for August are:

- cook from scratch at least four evenings a week

- remember to take a packed lunch to work every day

- lose 7lbs
#12 Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 AM

I was on vacation last week, so I didn't track calories, water or exercise. I did stick to my strict vegetarian ways except for two pieces of milk chocolate...and as it turned out, they were not worth it. I didn't eat a very healthy diet, but I was still mindful and I did lose almost a pound. I now officially have 45 pounds to go.

My goals this month are to continue to exercise at least 3x a week (preferably 5x aq week), drink 8+ cups of water a day and stick to less than 1500 calories a day. I hope to continue to lose 1-2 pounds a week.

Happy August everyone!
#13 Old 08-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

We didn't get much exercise in over the weekend, just a 30 minute walk/jog yesterday afternoon. The kids rode their scooters but Haley pooped out too soon. Today we went to the park and started the "couch to 5K" program. Got the podcasts on the iPod and I DID IT!!! I am so proud of myself for actually making it through the program. You are suppose to rest a day but I think we will still go for a walk tomorrow.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#14 Old 08-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi all,

I'm going to join the August challenge if you don't mind!

I've lost 43 pounds so far eating a healthy vegetarian diet which brings me to my current weight of 237 pounds, down from my highest weight of 280 last year.

Good grief did I really weigh that much?

My goal for August is to make it into the 220's which will be an eight pound loss for the month.

I think it's do-able as long as I watch the processed carbs, continue to monitor my portion sizes, and concentrate on eating real food instead of processed veggie crap. Keeping track of my food on sparkpeople.com has really helped also.

Good luck to everyone!

Dig
#15 Old 08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

July was a very successful month for me! I reached my goal of 130 lbs, and the attached reward of a haircut is scheduled for this Friday.

My starting weight for August is 129.5 pounds. My goal is 125 by the time school starts, which is roughly around the end of August.
#16 Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I guess I should join this month.

I lost 20 lbs between late April and mid June on the Eat to Live 6 Week Plan (lots of greens, beans, limited grains, no added oil or sugar, max. 1,400 kcal). Stayed on it for two more weeks, and planned to stick to the principle after that, as I felt good physically. I didnt lose another pound though, in spite of exercising vigorously every other day. Eventually, after eating the required 1 lb raw + 1 lb cooked veggies a day for weeks, I also couldnt bring myself to chew another leaf.

Anyways, since then Ive mostly eaten healthier than before E2L. Restricting myself so much though, while at the same time (as a part of that plan) forcing myself to eat the required minimum amounts of certain foods (see above), seems to have triggered unhealthy behavior, which I had hoped was a thing of the past. So for a couple of weeks, I basically gained and lost the same 2 to 3 lbs on a weekly basis. Well, I seem to have broken this cycle over the past weekend - new month, new luck.

Please dont expect me to state my actual weight or inches/size here, as I already tend to focus on these numbers a bit too much, and would rather like to change my mindset about them. I will just say that I am still officially overweight, and have to lose some more to get into a healthy weight range again (dang all those awesome vegan cookbooks, lol). I also have the lowest metabolism anyone could imagine, sigh.

My goals for August are:

-\teat no more than 1,400 kcal/day (preferably 1,200)

-\tlow fat, avoid added oils/sugars/processed grains, eat more legumes

-\teat a light breakfast at home before I leave for work (instead of waiting till noon)

-\tallow myself small treats occasionally, e. g. a piece of dark chocolate (or two)

-\texercise at least every other day (preferably 5 times/week)

-\tlose at least 0.5 kg (1.1 lbs) per week

-\ttake it easy if sometimes I dont lose as much as I had hoped for

So far, from August 1st to 3rd, I've had 1,100 kcal/day (low appetite) - but havent exercised at all yet. As you can see, I really need a place for accountability!

Good luck everyone!
#17 Old 08-04-2009, 02:17 AM

my goal for the month of august is to eat only what my body needs for the day. Like eat veggie broth on lunch and i mean only this. Because being a former carnivore and now a transformed vegetarian, I used to eat a lot, and now that I'm a vegan, i compensate by eating potatoes on every now and then. so now I will definitely eat veggie broth on lunch, plus 2 banana's of course.
#18 Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

We took it easy today and did a 45 minute walk at the park without pushing it at all. Tomorrow back to the couch to 5K program!

#19 Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Just here to encourage everyone I may join the party once I get my blood test results, depending on what the results are I'm eating Amy's meals a lot, not snacking as much, and still not losing any weight. It doesn't matter if I consume 1,700 or 1,000 calories, the numbers just aren't dropping.

GET TO WORK!!!!

Smilies rock.
#20 Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM

I think i'll join in if youve got room for one more....

my goals for august:

1. lose at least 10lb

2. Eat more fruit

3. No more than 2 takeaway meals

4. Drink more fluids
#21 Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 PM

i'm so joining this challenge, even a few days late.

my goal is to lose 10 pounds this month. i am not eating poorly (i find it hard to do that with the vegan lifestyle, especially since i'm too poor to buy processed vegan delights) but i really need to monitor my weight this month as veganism is a new stop for me and i'm chronically worried about gaining weight for one reason or another.

soo. goal for 9/1/09: lose 10 pounds!

that's all i have. i also plan to drink tons of water too.
#22 Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned

Hello, everyone.

I'm still trying to crack the 140s *heavy sigh*. It's been months since I've been trying to do it, but I'm not giving up. No loss for July, but no gain, either, so that is a small victory.

Goals:

Exercise at least five days a week. I've been a bit lax with the humid weather, though I did change it up a bit last month by dancing/doing aerobics indoors. I just haven't been as consistent as I have been before.

Cut down on the crunchy snacks. I don't know why, but I've been in a serious crunchy-food mood for weeks. I haven't craved sweets in months, but I've done my share of chip eating. Time to cut that out for a while.

Good luck to everyone!
#23 Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey guys, I'm still around!! I've been watching what I eat but not writing anything down. I gained a few pounds on vacation and then lost it but I also missed a couple meetings. Just plain forgot one day and had to go to a wake this week. My sciatica has been pretty bad too so I haven't worked out.
#24 Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so ready to join this month! I am going to exercise and stop eating when I'm not hungry!
#25 Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Have any of you lacto-veggies tried the Skinny Cow Strawberry Shortcake? Soooooooooooooo good.
#26 Old 08-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Veggie Regular

For some reason, I have lost no weight this week, even though i have been exercising every day (and eating some extra calories to fuel the extra activity/not go into starvation mode). So frustrating. The only two things that have changed is that I have not been eating the same breakfast and I have stopped taking an anti-anemia herb (yellow dock). Otherwise, I have been exercising more.
#27 Old 08-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone, I'm back and officially 23 Don't think I did too much damage in Vegas, though I didn't get much exercise. Still lots of comfort food going on (and I'm not gonna lie and say I'm REALLY trying to be good, because I'm not), but I'm not doing too terribly.
#28 Old 08-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, despite our starting the couch to 5K program and walking on the off days, I gained 2 pounds! I admit I did eat sweet & spicy chili Doritos and bagels and this must STOP!!

I promise to cut out those yummy chips this week. I want to be 5 pounds thinner by Sept 1 and this is NOT the way to do it!!

#29 Old 08-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryssiie718 View Post

Well, despite our starting the couch to 5K program and walking on the off days, I gained 2 pounds! I admit I did eat sweet & spicy chili Doritos and bagels and this must STOP!!

I promise to cut out those yummy chips this week. I want to be 5 pounds thinner by Sept 1 and this is NOT the way to do it!!

That weight might be from all the sodium in the Doritos .

I had a nice walk yesterday and then went to a club and rocked out, so I got a lot of exercise. The bad part was that I had four cherry vodka and diet Coke drinks .
#30 Old 08-09-2009, 09:05 AM

It looks like I lost about 3 pounds this week. Yea! I ate well all week, exercised and drank all my water. I hadn't checked my waist or hip measurements in a few weeks and it looks like I lost an inch off of each. I am approaching a major milestone, so I am excited about that! Hopefully I'll reach it my next Sunday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page