Eliptical Trainer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I just started using an eliptical at the gym, because I got tired of swimming and have developed plantar fasciitis, so no running. I like it - it's different and there are a lot of options, in addition to how it can work your arms as well (I have runner arms - chicken wings!). I feel tired when I'm done but while I'm using it I don't feel like I'm working that hard, even though my heart rate gets up into the 160's. I wonder if that's because it doesn't beat the crap out of me like running does (yes, I'll admit it, running does beat the crap out of me - even after having run several marathons, increased fitness never made that go away). Swimming feels like that too.

Ok, back on topic - how many folks here use one? What should I be watching for as far as injuries, exertion level (running expends approximately 100 calories per mile; any equivalent with eliptical?)? How should I start out (does the 10% increase/week rule apply?)? I am SO out of my element here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

i use the eliptical machine all the time. been using an eliptical machine for 8 years and no injuries from it yet. even though its better for your knees, at higher resistance levels it can be a problem if you have problems with your knees. i started using the eliptical machine after running because i have arthritis in my knees and running made my problems so much worse.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#3 Old 03-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I noticed the thing about the resistance and the knees, and I think getting the crossramp too high has affected them too. I've never had knee problems but they did get a little clicky - nothing bad and no real pain once I got off the machine. I've started to do one other other other - lower crossramp with higher resistance and lower resistance with higher crossramp. I can still get my HR high doing this.

It's hard for me to evaluate my condition while using it, though, because it doesn't make me tired or heavily worked when I get off. Yesterday I did 7 miles on it at about 160 bpm almost the whole time, and didn't feel bad - in fact, by the end of the hour, I felt energized. Because of my injuries, the most I was managing on the treadmill was 4 miles. It made me wonder, though, because you would NEVER make a jump like that with running. 10% at most, so if I did 4 mi last week I'd be doing 4.4 this week. But today, my hips are just a little sore - I mean a TINY bit sore, barely at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

careful with the clicky knees thing.

i know whatcha mean about it being hard to evaluate your condition while using it. i hardly feel tired and more often feel energized. though i notice that i'm covered in sweat when i step off the machine. also, have you tried backwards peddling yet? that's a bit more challenging in my opinion and works on different parts too. after running my knees and feet (especially my heels) would constantly hurt and when on the elliptical nothing hurts.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#5 Old 04-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I use it too . The one at my gym is called an Arc trainer. It's like a cross trainer without the arm bit.

I use it cos I have arthritis in my hip and i cant run really.

It burns in the region of 700 calories an hour according to the computer thing and a website I've been on. On the website it was very high up, the top one or one of the top ones on calories burnt.
#6 Old 04-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchluv View Post

I use it too . The one at my gym is called an Arc trainer. It's like a cross trainer without the arm bit.

I use it cos I have arthritis in my hip and i cant run really.

It burns in the region of 700 calories an hour according to the computer thing and a website I've been on. On the website it was very high up, the top one or one of the top ones on calories burnt.

I use it cuz I'm top heavy and I can't run really....lol.

I have one at home and love it. I put a tv in front of it and watch movies while I work out. Half the time I don't realize how long I've been on it because I don't tucker out as fast.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#7 Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

It's really weird how long it takes me to get tired on that thing. Even when I was running really long distances, I'd be tired by the time an hour was up (I loved running long, but that didn't mean I wasn't tired!). On the eliptical, when an hour is up, I can easily keep going.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page