do you use exercise equipment? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By keepitlow
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 01-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I spent most of my teenage years working out like crazy(sometimes 2 hours or more a day) just to music and now that I am an adult and would like to lose some of the post high school , just married, gained cause of medicines weight. I simply cannot make myself just exercise to music anymore so Im toying with the idea of buying an elliptical machine. Has anyone here ever had one? Is a cheap walmart one worth my money? My husband kinda wants one of those machines with the tension weights (not just a weight bench ) Which do you think is better???

I would like to lose around 20lbs this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-11-2009, 12:45 PM

I don't have equipment at home but I go to the gym 5-6 days a week so I know exercise equipment pretty well lol.

I'm not sure about walmart ellipticals, mostly because I don't shop there so I have no idea what they have. But as a piece of equipment I really like the elliptical. I use it typically as my warm up and many times for cardio. So I do suggest those.

As for the thing your hubby wants, my personal opinion is he would be better off with just free weights. I really REALLY prefer free weights .

I would see if you have a play it again sports or other 2nd hand sports equipment store near you. I got my FID bench, name brand one in GREAT condition, at one of those. It was 150 new and I got it for 30 bucks! They have large equip like ellipticals too.
#3 Old 01-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I have an elliptical from Wal-Mart. I've had it for about 5 years. It's okay. I go through phases of using it, but it's definitely good to have in the winter when it's too cold to walk outside. I like having it at home, b/c I know that I can easily talk myself out of going to the gym.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-11-2009, 01:04 PM

I work full-time and am a full-time college student. I don't have time for gym's I have a treadmill that I use. My hubs wants one of those bow-flex things, but we really don't have the room, right now. Mt treadmill folds up, when not in use. Therefore, it doesn't get in the way.
#5 Old 01-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I would advise you to get both (if you an afford it), because it's not a case of one piece of equipment being better than the other, it's more like they're both good as they both do different things.

I recommend you start with buying an elliptical machine though as it's a low impact cardio exercise which is good to begin with if you're not used to exersizing. If you like using that and find yourself sticking with it, maybe then think about getting some weights.

I haven't tried Walmart's elliptical machine so I have no idea what it's like to give you a good opinion but I have seen similar budget brands and I chose not to buy one because although they probably do the job ok, they lack programmable functions, not as many resistance levels, have shorter stride length and the movement itself doesn't feel as smooth as it does on a gym-quality machine.

But, if I could only afford the Walmart one, I would buy it as any machine is better than no machine.

#6 Old 01-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I ended up with an elliptical with a short stride (for a shorty like me, conveniently the small ones are also cheapest!) and some adjustable dumbbells. I have a little gym started in my sunroom, but it's unheated. For the winter it's parked it in front of the tv so I can hop on in the evening when I'm watching movies. It's hard to make excuses when it's 2 feet from the couch.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#7 Old 01-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

I haven't tried Walmart's elliptical machine so I have no idea what it's like to give you a good opinion but I have seen similar budget brands and I chose not to buy one because although they probably do the job ok, they lack programmable functions, not as many resistance levels, have shorter stride length and the movement itself doesn't feel as smooth as it does on a gym-quality machine.

This is definitely the case with the one I bought from Wal-Mart. It was what I could afford at the time, though. I doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does the job okay.
#8 Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

okies. i think im gonna buy one (elliptical) from wally world sometime this week or after I get paid next weekend. I def need to do something. Im tired of being out of shape. The cheapest one in the store is $200
#9 Old 01-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Banned

Don't have an elliptical. Have lots of other stuff. dumbbells, smith machine, pulleys, ex bike, treadmill, getting an upper body bike and fluid rower someday also lots of other equipment, sandbags, kettle bells, body bags, inversion equipment, lat machine, etc.

These are areas I aspire to train in. Although time, $$ and energy constraints don't always allow me to get em all in. But having the right formula is half the battle.

Weight / strength training

Aerobics

Nutrition

Balance training

Yoga / flexibility training

Cold training

Mind training

Mind relaxation / meditation (zazen)

Speed training

Height / altitude training

Centrifugal training

Jump / Height / Plyometrics trianing

Breath Holding training

For those that do not know how calories work, when you eat 3500 unburned or unneeded calories, whether in a day or over a week, it puts on a pound of fat. (For reference: 3200 calories is the same as 4 sticks or one pound of butter.)

We all burn up so much calories in a day and my balance point at 54 years of age for my height and metabolism and lifestyle is about 1900 calories a day. It took some time to figure this number out, but thorough trial and error I now have it.

Although metabolisms change with age, as my caloric balance point was about 2500 calories a day when I was 30 years old. If you are in a big city you can get a RM test to find out your caloric resting metabolism rate, but where I live it is only by trail and error.

You can lose weight by eating a 1000 calories a day diet of candy bars. But is it healthy? Is it sustainable? Is it balanced? What about vomiting and laxatives so you can artificially eat more food? Working yourself ragged exercising day and night to the point of ill health to eat more? All must be answered as NO!

These are not healthy or sustainable practices for a lifetime of weight control. So make your losing weight diet and lifestyle healthy and sustainable so the switch back to normal eating is not that different from a diet of weight loss eating, with the main difference just being less calories by 15%-20%

BTW, you are a nice looking lady...keep up the good work in the right direction with your health!

MikeFrans likes this.
#10 Old 01-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

well, thanks for your input. and thanks for saying that I am a nice looking lady. Hubby and I just went and bought an elliptical. Its been put together and I used it for about half an hour (all I have time for at the moment ) and I love it. Mine even has a pulse monitor thingy on it, it also has a drink holder that silly husband put on upside down... hehe...
#11 Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_eat_bambi View Post

it also has a drink holder that silly husband put on upside down... hehe...

lol That's cute. And really quick for you guys to haul it home, put it together, and use it already!!

Congrats on the new piece of equipment, hope you enjoy it

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#12 Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Beginner

I had a gym membership, but it has to date expired and i do not have the funds to get a new one (N) lameee
#13 Old 01-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

lol That's cute. And really quick for you guys to haul it home, put it together, and use it already!!

Congrats on the new piece of equipment, hope you enjoy it

im very motivated... hehe
#14 Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Anyone willing to share how they maintain their exercise equipment?  We purchased an AFG 3.1ae elliptical in January (2013) and while it is very fine(*) ,and I maintain it, cleaning it, and tightening nuts and bolts periodically, it has developed a squeak during use on one side. Can't track it down. Contacted AFG and are awaiting inputs.  We did purchase the extended warranty and service at the "gold" level.

Thanks,

- Jan

-------------------

(*)  Especially after a horrible case where we purchased a much cheaper model from another source and it broken in 3 minutes and needed to be returned,

#15 Old 08-25-2014, 05:44 AM

I have a stationary bike at home and I use it every day to lose weight. I lose 2 lbs. in 2 weeks and I continue to do it to lose more weight. I am really happy that my DH bought this machine for me it really helps me to have a better life and body. It also improves my immune system and it helps me to have a tone muscles too.
#16 Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 AM

I have a treadmill and an elliptical, both at my sisters house at the moment, which does me no good. I also have Bowflex adjustable dumbells at home. Luckily for me, the gym is literally right down the street from me. Otherwise, I'd never make it there.
#17 Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM

I usually don't used equipment to exercise or lose weight. I just go running every morning and take
best fiber supplement
to help burning my fats. Sometimes I feel lazy to go to gym though.
#18 Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Vegan as f**k

Free weights are best

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#19 Old 02-09-2015, 11:36 PM

Seriously say i dont use any equipment for exercise.I like running in the morning which fresh up my body whole day and feels good to do any kind of work.I cant regular myself to go gym so i avoid it and focus on running mostly.
#20 Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a home gym and also go to a fitness center. At my home gym I have a mat, various free weights of different weight, a barbell with various plates I can attach, a few resistance bands, a bench and a hard suitcase I use for a step up platform lol. I also have a treadmill given to me for free by a former coworker. And a mirror to check form. I do a lot of calisthenics/body exercises too, and jumping jacks. When it gets a little less icy and a lot warmer, about late April to mid October, I spend more time outdoors either trail running or cycling. I spend several hours at it on weekends (when not hiking, snowshoeing, canoeing etc) and during the week cycle to the fitness center and to work and errands etc. I really miss summers when I would do free weights in my basement gym, then get the bike out and go for an early morning quiet ride in the woods or by Lake Superior on Sundays. I am suffering from cabin fever lol.

I guess my other home equipment then would include my snowshoes, bicycle, and my husband and my 18' Wenona Kevlar Sundowner racing canoe and two wooden paddles. We used to canoe every other week on some lake around here or up in the BWCA wilderness, but the last few years I have been so busy with school (finally graduated last Spring but spent the summer studying for a certification exam I passed in September) I haven't had much time for it. Now I have more time but we have barely any snow so far up here in Minnesota so we haven't had too many opportunities to snowshoe. Very strange....

If I had the money, I would invest in a Concept II rowing machine at home, and a stationary bike. I love the rowing machine. Works many different muscles in the body, including abdomen, thighs, lats, arms, back....

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#21 Old 02-10-2015, 08:41 AM
Beginner

I like to run outside when I can (at almost 6 mos pregnant, more walking), but when the weather is rainy or cold or when I am home alone with the kids, I also have a treadmill.

I have some hand weights and work-out DVDs that I use on occasion as well. I have no time to actually go to a gym (would be past my little ones' bedtime), so I mix it up at home
#22 Old 02-10-2015, 10:27 AM

I don't use any equipments for exercising. I do Yog. In case you feel interested in it, you can take help from:
http://www.divyayoga.com/miscellaneo...-training.html
#23 Old 02-13-2015, 03:53 PM

Nope, once in a while I will toy around with 2 or 5lb weights and just do a few weighted crunches or lunges, but I use my own body weight to define my body. And I only do so for 30mins a day, 6 days a week. I honestly got more results doing that then doing more intense things at the gym for 1-2 hours a day for the same amount of time. After 30 minutes your body stops wanting to work as hard and you don't get as effective results. People still do get results after 30mins, just it will not be as effective and for the effort put into it, depending what you want to achieve as a goal, it can be useless.

You never know where the road will take you. You never know what you can do once you truly try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#24 Old 02-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Vegan as f**k

I agree that using your own body weight can really help with fitness!

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#25 Old 02-13-2015, 07:23 PM
No flesh since 99'

I just got an exercise bike last month and really love it! Especially when its 42 degrees and drizzling rain I have a balance ball, resistance band and recently found a small weight set at goodwill. I also do plenty of 'free 'workouts like sit-ups, push ups, squats and go for walks every day (and have lots of places with stairs nearby). I find it much easier to remember to look out when theres a big ugly piece of workout equipment taking up room in the living room. Might as well make good use of it right? EXACTLY.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 02-13-2015 at 07:25 PM.
#26 Old 02-13-2015, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Though I believe body weight exercises can be great for strength and fitness, I have to say that lifting heavy weights did wonders for me for building up muscle and strength and making portaging 40 lb canoe packs on my back across half mile rugged portages in the wilderness (and our canoe) and paddling 10 to 14 miles a day on wilderness lakes a LOT easier. On the otherhand, doing pullups from a tree limb or dips on parallel bars with your body weight can also be incredibly challenging. Or balancing in yoga poses on your hands. All of it is great stuff!

Whatever keeps a person moving, motivated, and enjoying exercise is what matters the most!
karenlovessnow likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#27 Old 05-10-2015, 11:56 AM

I switched from weights to bodyweight exercises about two years ago, for no other reason than the fact that I switched from gym-workouts to home-workouts 2 years ago.

What I have at home:

- Pullup bar
- Suspension bands
- Reflect bag (boxing)
- Yoga mat

I have pics on my IG account for those interested.

Weights work better for growth, in my case at least, but strength-wise I'm able to keep up with my gym-going friends in most exercises.

Instagram: vegetarian_calisthenics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page