Trying to Get my Family Motivated - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

So, I have been recently really falling behind on my Exercising, Stretching, and Running. So just a few days ago I started back up. I pumped up my Bike Wheels and rode a lot. I have been trying to really stretch and I can feel myself becoming looser. My brother has lost like 15 pounds since he joined this army training program since he plans to join the army right out of school. My parents though, they will not. Every time I offer them up, hey you want to go stretch, jog or Walk, Do some Ab Lounge, ect...

They won't do it! Every excuse after another, I'm to tired, I am hungry, Maybe Later, I'm Busy. Oh I hate that one, I'm Busy. You don't think I am busy? I still find room in my day to exercise because I realize I can eat as healthy as I want but it ain't going to matter unless I try burning it off.

How do I get them motivated. I went in front of my dad and started doing some more complicated stretches and told him if he would exercise with me he could most likely do them too over time. As fast as he could he ran off to the store...My mom refused to exercise with me, she went to bed!

I am starting to worry because my parents are becoming really lazy. I just worry, THEY say they feel horrid and are too Over Weight but they continue to eat horribly and not exercise. I want them to live long healthy lives but the way they are becoming so lazy I do not think they are going too.

I heard something about a week ago that inspired me. Someone was saying to someone else, You know why you can't run fast, you are over weight ect...You are lazy! That perked me up to start exercising and eating better. Any Idea's to motivate them?

^Cool story, bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's great that your concerned about your family's health. Maybe suggest some fun family activities that are less focused on the exercise component. Something like hiking, rollerblading/skating, a bike ride together, tossing a ball around.

I understand that you were motivated by hearing that person say you can't run b/c you are overweight. But personally, that would probably make me less likely to want to exercise (I'd probably go grab a cookie actually ). Your family might be feeling pressured and self-conscious that you always want them to exercise, even though you are doing it for a good reason. Perhaps activities that are fun as a good, and exercise is a side benefit, would be less intimidating for them.
#3 Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not pressuring them. I am trying to tell them that it would be great but I am not constantly on them. I ask them but they always have a dumb excuse. Once my mom said "I am too hungry". She got cookies and fell asleep while I did yoga!!! I have tried that too. Making it fun. My dad and I will once in a while play frisbee but that is it. Bike Rides...As if, we only have one bike in this house..That is mine, I do let them go on if they want though but no one wants too besides me We go hike and shoot guns around the desert a lot, Being careful of the animals and we never kill any or harm any animal

Anyway, Fun activities is also not what my family does. I tell you what they prefer. My mother, Sitting and eating cookies while watching TV. My father, Messing around with his radio

^Cool story, bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I sorry to hear that. I guess that all you can do in that case is be a good example to them. Hopefully they will see you doing things you enjoy and improving your health and they'll want to join you. We can't force people to change, they have to want it for themselves. Good luck!
#5 Old 01-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

how about just letting your parents live the life that they want to live?

it's ok for people to choose to not be active. if you want to do an activity with them--such as "mom, i really want to spend some time with you in the outdoors, would you go on a hike with me?"--then that might work. but if you're saying "hey, you should work out, hey, lets do stretches together so that you'll be healthier, blah blah blah"--no way anyone who isn't into it is going to join you.

so, you either ask them to spend time with you and then you choose the activity, or you leave them be so that they can do the things that they like to do (watch tv and play with the radio).
#6 Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

yea,, it can't be forced. it has to come from within.

They have to first have the mindset and only then can changes to the lifestyle be made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page