VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Physical Fitness (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/34-physical-fitness/)
-   -   Gaining height after 21? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/34-physical-fitness/92439-gaining-height-after-21-a.html)

AussieShane 12-31-2008 09:13 PM

Is it possible to gain height once you're an adult? Not necessarily from growing but from just expansion or stretching of cartilage?

I've been reading some blogs and extracts saying people have gained a 2 - 3 inches by doing Yoga and pilates. They all basically implied that in these cases, 1. posture is improved 2. the torso was stretched and the spinal vertibrae were expanded.

Has anyone had any personal experiences from this, where they have infact gained height from doing yoga or pilates? pls share.

Just_Kris 01-01-2009 06:48 AM

By the time you are an adult, the end plates of the bones have calcified and the growth plate has closed. I agree that pilates/yoga do improve posture and may result in a modest gain in height due to the increased awareness. But its not possible to stretch spinal vertebrae or any other bone (without very painful surgical procedures) once maturity is reached.

VanGoesVeg 01-01-2009 11:24 AM

Ditto, yoga and pilates is greatly going to improve posture, which for some of us "slumpers" can certainly add an inch or two.

However, boys can continue to grow until about age 22, it all depends on when the growth plates close.

Girls are pretty much done growing in height shortly after starting their period.

AussieShane 01-02-2009 11:47 AM

thanks for the feedback. I'm still researching this because an article i read was saying that only 9 out of the 33 epiphyseal plates in the spine are ossified.

Pirate Ferret 01-02-2009 12:25 PM

I know a girl who claims to have grown 5-6 inches when they were 20, naturally with no intervention. I call bull****.

but yeah i think all pilates will do really is make your posture better, not stretch your spine. besides, short people are cool 8)

AussieShane 01-08-2009 04:05 AM

Lol @ pirate's comment.

short ppl i guess are cool but being short sux.

yea.... well i'm on this height gain program anyway, it involves a lot of stretching and some cycling. I guess it aims at 1. bettering the posture 2. allowing less compression (supposed expansion) on the epiphyseal plates and vertibrae 3. expansion of cartilage in leg thru microtrauma.

point 1 and 2 may be possible but point 3 is deep in the unknown field. But i can only hope.

I'll do this routine for let's say 6 months. I'm not expecting any results but if i was to gain 1 - 2 inches it would be a dream come true. Any more, it would be mind blowing.