Vegan Protein Shake - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a pretty busy schedule and sometimes don't have time to make a full meal after working out. Unfortunately, it seems that almost all protein shakes are made from whey. Are there any good soy based ones? I've been drinking a lot of the Odwalla Super Protein drinks, but those can get quite expensive.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-26-2008, 12:50 PM

I know you can get dry soy protien powder in tubs from health food shops. If you have trouble sourcing cheap soy protien shakes, I'm sure you could knock up a very speedy high protien banana and soy milk shake with that stuff.

Never used protien powder in homemade shakes myself, though I do make soy milk based health shakes up with a lot of other bits and bobs added. I'd probably stick a bit of flax seed oil in and maybe a bit of soya lecithin, a little raw mollases, Vit C powder and green algea too.
#3 Old 10-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I have soy protein powder from carenutrition.com. It only seems to taste okay if I add splenda and/or fruit to it, though. It's very chalky, otherwise.

There are a variety of vegan protein powders. You can find hemp, rice, or pea protein. I think cosmosveganshoppe.com has some good ones. http://www.cosmosveganshoppe.com/Mer...egory_Code=PPG

The pea protein they carry ain't half bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Beginner

i love the vega complete meal replacement. i put it in almond milk and add hempseed and some sesame seeds to it and flavor it with chocolate and vanilla. i sweeten it, sometimes add frozen banana too. its INCREDIBLY good! plus i feel fantastic after drinking it. i use only one scoop instead of 2. its not cheap though. you can make protein smoothies yourself if you blend soymilk with fruit. i also like hemp protein powder. i dont like any of the others i've tried with soy.
#5 Old 10-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to work at this place which had soy-protein supplements and a workmate, who was into body-building, added heaps to his drinks and ended up losing weight haha. It was probably the crappier stuff though.
#6 Old 10-27-2008, 02:50 AM

does anyone know if there is a store in australia that sells rice,hemp or pea protein or ships to australia(any vegan meal replacements also)
#7 Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 AM

does vega ship to australia
#8 Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tried a number of vegan protein shakes: hemp, soy, pea (tried 3 different pea ones!) and have only found one that I really like.

Its a 100% pure pea protein isolate called Vegan 90. For something that has no chemicals, no aspartame or other sweeteners, no whey or other dairy products, this stuff is incredible, and it tastes great too.

I can't recommend it highly enough. However I'm not sure its available outside the UK. And other 100% pea protein shakes I've tried have been awful, so there's no guarantee a pea protein shake will be any good.
#9 Old 11-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't use soy protein at all. I am a big fan of Sun Warrior Protein
#10 Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Beginner

rice protein!! try rainbow lite vanilla or chocolate protein powder. they don't have it everywhere - i live in a city with a few "health" food stores and only whole foods sells it. it's blown every other powder i've tried out of the water.
#11 Old 11-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

I have a pretty busy schedule and sometimes don't have time to make a full meal after working out. Unfortunately, it seems that almost all protein shakes are made from whey. Are there any good soy based ones? I've been drinking a lot of the Odwalla Super Protein drinks, but those can get quite expensive.

most healthshops have soy protein shakes, usually flavoured which cost at most the same as whey protein.

Several I have been to have pea protein, which is 90+% (!) protein, thats the one I'm using now; its unflavoured and unfortunately tastes pretty grim, even when put into a smoothie. However, it is suitable to use in cooking so I put it in home made flapjacks and its just about bearable in protein flapjack form.

There is also hemp protein but thats pretty expensive.
#12 Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 AM

I have not tried these yet but have asked for some samples of Revival Soy shakes. here is the website:

http://www.revivalsoy.com/products/shakes/index.html
#13 Old 12-06-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_Jihadist View Post

Several I have been to have pea protein, which is 90+% (!) protein, thats the one I'm using now; its unflavoured and unfortunately tastes pretty grim, even when put into a smoothie. However, it is suitable to use in cooking so I put it in home made flapjacks and its just about bearable in protein flapjack form.

I'm using pea protein as well. After trying to mix it with various drinks, I realized the easiest thing for me to do is just to mix it with water, plug my nose, and drink it down as quickly as possible.
#14 Old 12-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

I don't use soy protein at all. I am a big fan of Sun Warrior Protein

Do you have a favorite flavor?
#15 Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

I drink Nutribody Protein which is vegetarian (made of brown rice and pea protein)... It doesnt have whey at all (which can make you feel bloated).
#16 Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 PM

i use GoEasy, it's vegan/gluten free. it uses pea, cranberry, and rice protein and has 20g per serving, no artificial sweetners or colors or flavors....AND the best part is that it tastes AWESOME. Comes in chocolate and vanilla and is the best protein shake i've ever had. don't try to buy it off amazon, they only sell the older version. it was just reformulated and tastes way better now and has more protein per serving.

if you want more details, email me.
#17 Old 02-15-2010, 03:56 PM

All-Pro Science has a good powder, Brown Rice/Hemp/Pea Protein blend. It tastes good, maybe a little green compared to your average whey protein, but nothing like a 100% pea protein powder. Definitely no need to pinch the nose & drink. I like it because you get protein from three different sources, and none of them are soy. I get enough of that in my diet already. It's great with a little rice milk, blends really easy in one of those shake cups. http://allproscience.com/home.php?bi...=allproscience
#18 Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Beginner

I would get pea or rice protein as most vegans tend to get a lot of soy in their diets already. I know I do.
#19 Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm I know Dillons and Hyvee (not sure if you have that chain where you're at) both have soy based protein mixes that come in chocolate, vanilla, and original flavors. I'm not entirely sure if they're vegan because I haven't actually purchased any/looked at the ingredients, but checking those out might be worth a try and they may be less than health store options.
#20 Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 AM

I use Hemp-Force protein powder by Prairie Naturals. I buy the berry-pomegranate flavour. It's quite disgusting with just water so I plug my nose and just down it but if you add a scoop to your smoothies it's tasty. Here's a link to the stuff:

http://www.prairienaturals.ca/?product_id=65

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page