How and how often do you exercise? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-11-2008, 02:28 PM

I got jogging twice a week and swim eveyr now and then. Plus I run up and down the stairs about a million times a day at work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Walking on the treadmill with an incline. Usually 30-60 minutes burning 300-600 calories. Supposed to be 5-6 times a week but it's sporadic.

In the summer I walk outside or ride my bike. Would love to jog but I get really bad shin splints.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#3 Old 04-11-2008, 03:45 PM

Unless the day is atypical, I usually run 5-6 miles, with a 10+ mile run on Sundays. When I do not run, I start to randomly cry and my body feels really depressed. Completely addicted to those endorphines. I need to get back into lifting, until recently I'd do that 3 times a week. You just feel better in general when you get moving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-11-2008, 05:16 PM

I do a 1 hour weightlifting class twice a week and a 1 hour cardio/sculpt class twice a week then on sat. I try to get in a 2 mile run on the treadmill. I have only just started this routine in the last month--I will be upping the time I spend working out from 1 hour to 2 hours in the near future--will probably include some pilates and a lot more running.

I agree with greenrunner--you just feel better when you get moving!
#5 Old 04-11-2008, 06:04 PM

Just a note, I just got back from a 2 hour run. All of me is throbbing. What a high! Wow.
#6 Old 04-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I've started jogging at least 5 times a week. Not sure how far I go as I do it in my house-round and round--but I'm up to 38 minutes a day. When the weather clears up and the roads are dry I may attempt an outside jog. I have a history of falling on my head when walking/jogging outside. I also started peddling on my stationary bike working up to hopefully 20 minutes by the end of April or first week of May. I don't like the bike!
#7 Old 04-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I cycle to work and then try to do 20 miles after work. Recently I started doing around 50+ miles on Saturday or Sunday. If I decide not to ride I try to get a run in. I'm getting ready to do my first century so I've been upping the miles recently.

I never learned to love exercising until I got into cycling. Those endorphines sure are great!
#8 Old 04-11-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

I cycle to work and then try to do 20 miles after work. Recently I started doing around 50+ miles on Saturday or Sunday. If I decide not to ride I try to get a run in. I'm getting ready to do my first century so I've been upping the miles recently.

I never learned to love exercising until I got into cycling. Those endorphines sure are great!

Gosh, so envious of you. I see bikers when I'm on my runs and they look like they are in pure bliss. Would love to get into that one day. Like you, I HATED exercise until running. I guess we all have to find our thing.
#9 Old 04-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post

I've started jogging at least 5 times a week. Not sure how far I go as I do it in my house-round and round--but I'm up to 38 minutes a day. When the weather clears up and the roads are dry I may attempt an outside jog. I have a history of falling on my head when walking/jogging outside. I also started peddling on my stationary bike working up to hopefully 20 minutes by the end of April or first week of May. I don't like the bike!

38 minutes 5 times a week? That's incredible, great job! It's the time, not the distance or speed that's important. You must be making very visible progress.
#10 Old 04-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrunner View Post

Gosh, so envious of you. I see bikers when I'm on my runs and they look like they are in pure bliss. Would love to get into that one day.

It takes is a bit of money up front for the equipment and then time to do it. Once you have that you can have lots of fun .

Quote:
Like you, I HATED exercise until running. I guess we all have to find our thing.

So true!
#11 Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Just a note, I just got back from a 2 hour run. All of me is throbbing. What a high! Wow.

I'm so jealous! I absolutely adore running and used to do it all the time (about 4 km's a day). Then I developed arthritis in my feet Now I am very limited to what exercise I can do. (Please don't suggest swimming, I don't like swimming, and its no fun doing something I don't like).

I can however, still go for a few days skiing or tramping (hiking) here and there, just nothing too regular!

So I guess most of my exercise is actually walking to the local shops to get groceries.

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#12 Old 04-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

I usually run 5-6 miles, with a 10+ mile run on Sundays.

I'm gonna put you on 'Ignore'
#13 Old 04-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

3 times per week, about 1 hour each workout. All weight lifting (free weights & olympic weights).

I've seen more progress in 2 months than I did in 6 months of running, in terms of body shape and appearance. I'm starting to see my abs, which is awesome. Might even have a 6-pack this summer.

But I think the thing I love the most is that my shoulders are starting to look fantastic. They're all curvy and shapely and feminine, and I look great in a strappy dress. When I started this program, I never would have guessed that lifting weights would make me feel feminine and sexy. ha. Go figure.
#14 Old 04-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a pretty bust schedule, so I generally don't have time to work out. I do a lot of walking to and from class though.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#15 Old 04-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Hag
Beginner

I get 4 days /week of weight training, i bike about 25kms everday (to and from work), and run on sundays when i can.
#16 Old 04-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post

Quote:

38 minutes 5 times a week? That's incredible, great job! It's the time, not the distance or speed that's important. You must be making very visible progress.

It's a nice slow, easy jog that I'm doing. I started at 30 minutes and I'm working up to 40 minutes for the month of April but I'll probably go a few minutes longer as my stamina is building up. I used to do 5 km five days a week a few years ago but got out of it and would like to do that again. I can't worry about speed as I'm no sprinter (unless there's a dog at my heels, lol). Not bad for a retired schoolmarm with thighs of steel!
#17 Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 PM

I am trying to build back up . I've only been running again for a few weeks. I find that everything except swimming triggers my asthma really badly.

I run round the park which is a mile but I can't manage long before it kicks in. Then I have to walk for a bit then run. Am trying to do 5 miles whether its walking or running. Wish I was fitter though.
#18 Old 04-12-2008, 06:03 PM

During the summer I go walking almost everyday. However, during the winter months I tend to slack off a bit! It is supposed to be nice this Tuesday... 50 whole degrees! Maybe I can get back into the swing of things!
#19 Old 04-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I do 30 mins on the treadmill ever other day and on the days in between I do 20 mins on the treadmill and about a 20 min routine with weights without resting in between sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

3 times per week, about 1 hour each workout. All weight lifting (free weights & olympic weights).

Olympics weights are free weights are they not?

m8itcanw8.com
#20 Old 04-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Running (3.5-5 miles) once or twice a week. I also run a few races a year ranging from 5k to 1/2 marathon.

Kickboxing class followed by yoga class twice a week.

Elliptical machine for 45 minutes twice a week.

Free weights 3-4 times a week.

Abdominal exercises and pushups 3-4 times a week.

Wow, writing it all out makes me realize how much I do!
#21 Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Ankle Biter

I exercise nearly every day - it's very rare that I take a day off, but I do have frequent "gentle" days. 3-4 days a week I jog anywhere from 2.75 to 4 miles. I also do cardio/sculpting exercise CDs once or twice a week. I try to get to the gym and lift weights (30 mins, not strenuous) 2-3 x/week and I do yoga for about 2-3 hours per week. I'm trying to cut back on the jogging and put some time in on the ellipitcal machine, but I find it boring. Alas, my hip joints are starting to complain about the jogging.

Anyway, none of what I do is particularly athletic. I work out of my house, so my schedule is flexible enough to allow me to exercise as much as I want. But I don't work-out hard. I'm really just trying to stave off old age and disease. But truthfully, I've been exercising regularly for over 20 years, and I'm in much better shape than most of my friends. Exercise and my vegan diet have really made a difference in the aging process, I do believe!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#22 Old 04-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I do a 30-40 minute walk on the treadmill nearly every day (sometimes I just can't be arsed!) and I lift light weights for about half an hour on alternate days.

I ride a bike now and then but not that much to really count. I do a lot of weekend workouts on the dancefloor though, that probably adds up to about 3 or 4 hours each time.
#23 Old 04-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

olympic weights = barbells & plates

free weights = dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, etc, but the term is typically used to describe dumbbells. IOW, if a gym or workout room says it has "free weights" you can expect it to have racks of dumbbells.
#24 Old 04-14-2008, 12:33 AM

I weight train 3x a week at home and I go on the treadmill most days for about half an hour. i like to look and feel fit, but im not a health fanatic. ill skip days if i dont feel like doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

olympic weights = barbells & plates

free weights = dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, etc, but the term is typically used to describe dumbbells. IOW, if a gym or workout room says it has "free weights" you can expect it to have racks of dumbbells.

free weights are basically anything other than a machine, so i dont get why youre making the distinction between free weights and olympic weights. olympic weights are just a type of free weight.
#25 Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to swim and do yoga, now I just walk to and from work which adds up to about 1.5 hours a day. I'd like to get back into yoga though, it made me feel so much better in every way. It's just the starting which is hard!
#26 Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

free weights are basically anything other than a machine, so i dont get why youre making the distinction between free weights and olympic weights. olympic weights are just a type of free weight.

Yes, I know. Isn't that what I said?

I used to use "free weights" to describe both dumbbells and olympic plates but realized I sounded like an idiot because people use "olympic weights" to specify plates + barbells and "free weights" to usually mean dumbbells (and "free weight workouts" to talk about workouts using dumbbells). Not always, but it seemed that was the case more often than not. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my perception.

So, I'm sorry you had a hard time understanding what I said. I should have said "dumbbells and olympic plates" so you could understand what I meant.
#27 Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Beginner

I use an ellipse for an hour every morning 7 days a week and a 1/2 hour each evening six days a week. Also I do some weight training and other muscle toning 5 days a week...
#28 Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 PM

I do Yoga....Luv Yogahamster:.....lots of Walking...In home walking with Leslie Sansone and Long Romantic walks with my Fiancee...we also bike together...and I use my exercise bike while I am watching my soap OL...I try to do some sort of exercise daily but have always had bad knees so it depends on how they are holding out how often its done.
#29 Old 04-19-2008, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

i run on the elliptical for an hour, bike for 30min 45min. (Today more cus I need to actually bike somewhere heh)... do crunches, dips, and pull-ups. I'll start working with weights once I work with my trainer--don't want to hurt myself. (The cardio is broken up through the day PS.) This is daily btw. Before i started this I was sessile--but I feel SOOO Much better now. Plus I get to eat whatever I want! :P
#30 Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Beginner

I walk at an average of 3.3 mph on the treadmill with a 6.0 incline for 60 minutes a day. I burn around 400-450 calories. I walk 3 miles or more. I'd like to work up to 3.5 mph and put the incline higher! I feel so good when I do this!! I do it six days a week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page