How and how often do you exercise? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

When I got really busy with work in Feb I almost stopped exercising completely

I was working out 3-4 times a week at that point (run/eliptical for 30 mins, weights and yoga before that).

Now things are finally calmed down and I can get back into it, thank goodness.

I got really lazy, really fast.

Tonight I danced for about 1.25 hours (funk and belly dance), then did a half hour of yoga. I have more fun dancing than doing anything else, so I am going to make myself do a hard hour or two at least 4 times a week.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-06-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

When I got really busy with work in Feb I almost stopped exercising completely

Well, I'm just a few hours south so I know how non-motivating it can be when the weather is as crappy as it was during those months.. I slacked as well. But the important part is getting back on track. A few months of down time seems daunting, but it's nothing in the long scheme of things.

Now that the weather is getting nicer I've certainly been putting my new sneakers to good use, and the best part is I no longer have to spend money on a gym membership. I went on an amazing 13mile run down in the river bottom today (have you been in the Lethbridge Indian Battle Park?) and felt very grateful to live in such a beautiful place.
#33 Old 05-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrunner View Post

Well, I'm just a few hours south so I know how non-motivating it can be when the weather is as crappy as it was during those months.. I slacked as well. But the important part is getting back on track. A few months of down time seems daunting, but it's nothing in the long scheme of things.

Now that the weather is getting nicer I've certainly been putting my new sneakers to good use, and the best part is I no longer have to spend money on a gym membership. I went on an amazing 13mile run down in the river bottom today (have you been in the Lethbridge Indian Battle Park?) and felt very grateful to live in such a beautiful place.

I haven't ever been to Lethbridge. I've heard it's lovely though. I have a few friends who went to school there.

Thank you for the positive words. I'm always so much more active when it's nice out. Even if being active means staying in my living room dancing like a maniac, or doing yoga. I think I must be solar powered- I need sunshine to be motivated.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-06-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I haven't ever been to Lethbridge. I've heard it's lovely though. I have a few friends who went to school there.

Thank you for the positive words. I'm always so much more active when it's nice out. Even if being active means staying in my living room dancing like a maniac, or doing yoga. I think I must be solar powered- I need sunshine to be motivated.

You should come down, I'll buy you lunch! It's totally unfair that I have to come up to meet you. I thought I was supposed to have the advantage, since I am a white male

We could go for a walk along the river, it's gorgeous.
#35 Old 05-10-2008, 01:59 PM

I work out 5 days a week. with my schedule as follows.

( note this is all at my local YMCA with the LES MILLS program as well. All of these classes are 1 hour each)

Monday: Total Body Fitness ( general body work, lifting cardio)

Tuesday: Body Step Class

Body Combat

Wednesday: Lifting

Thursday: Body Step

Friday: Body COmbat

SAt and Sun: Rest days
#36 Old 05-10-2008, 02:44 PM

Good for you, iceblue ken. I wish I enjoyed lifting and such as much as running, which is not exercise for me.
#37 Old 05-12-2008, 08:22 AM

I exercise 5-6 days a week. I walk about 2-5 miles a day on my treadmill or at the track. I try my best to get in a whole 5 miles. But I always make sure to do at least 2 miles. I don't feel right if I don't. I also work out with 2 lb weights about 4 days a week. And I've also been getting into Hip Hop Abs. As corny as it sounds. Lol.
#38 Old 05-12-2008, 03:37 PM

I walk to/from school everyday (about 45 min. total), then I'm up and down stairs all day there, and I try to do my yoga (about an 1 hour), too, I feel so good when I do, it's just hard to get to it, sometimes!

Oh, and I walk to get groceries on Saturdays, I guess Sundays would be my rest day, but quite often I have somewhere else I need to go, or do yoga.

My estimate would be that I average 1-2 hours of moderate exercise everyday.
#39 Old 05-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

When I have time (which is sadly, only really in the summer) I do an hour of yoga every night. I walk to and from classes and I take the stairs up to the 4th floor where I live.

I run 4-6 miles outside nearly every day when it's nice, and I do a squat circuit afterward (it's a killer). I do wushu, too, which is a very intense workout, but lately I haven't been able to go much because of school.

I lift heavy weights for 45 minutes every other day.
#40 Old 05-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

"Official" exercise is yoga, two 70-minute classes a day on weekdays, one 70-minute class a day on weekends. Beyond that, not much. I used to walk the dogs a lot, but now that Noodle has such bad arthritis, we don't walk as much, as far, or as fast. I go up and down stairs a lot every day. But that's pretty much it.
#41 Old 05-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Beginner

I recently started running. I'm hoping to run a half-marathon by the end of the summer. I've been running roughly 3 miles three days a week and 4.5 miles two days a week. Next week I might up it to 3.5 miles three days and 5 miles two days.

woot.
#42 Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 PM

THat's great!!

It hard when you get out of your swing with excercise. I am a competetive swimmer and we just had our state champ competition and after that we had a couple weeks that were realy easy, then went straight back to regular work outs (we workout out 2 hour everyday, 1/2 hour push-ups, situps etc. 1 1/2 hours in the pool) and it was so hard to get into it. it hurt really bad and i didn't want to go to proctice. but you get back into it and feel in better shape after a while. I am now swimming harder than i ever have in my life and it doesn't even hurt that badly, i love excersise so much after i'm done with it cuz i always feel happier.
#43 Old 05-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Weekdays: 1/2 hour "dryland" workout. aka pushups, situps, etc.

1 1/2 hours swimming at pace

Sat. 2 hours swimming at pace

Sun. Nothing schedueled.

In addition, depending on the time of year i will also go skiing (XC) biking, running, skating, or walking
#44 Old 05-19-2008, 05:49 AM
Beginner

At the moment I just walk for about an hour every day

Hoping to start swimming when I move away to uni though
#45 Old 05-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Beginner

My cardio is an hour a day 6 days a week. I used to do the full hour on the elliptical, but now my hip is giving me problems so I do 1/2 on the elliptical and 1/2 on a recumbent bike.

Then at home I do upper body with dumbells, crunches with a ball and girly push-ups.
#46 Old 05-25-2008, 05:13 PM

Speedwalk and jog on tredmill daily 8miles daily.About a month or two in to it (use to do elliptical and weights). Would like to gain speed and will get back to weight training soon.Once I get up to speed will increase up to 10 miles a day(ish).Crazy but i love it!

Have been raw vegan but lately with less fat have had heaps more energy to train!Doubled my work out.
#47 Old 05-27-2008, 02:33 AM

Recently I started to swim every early morning in my pool for about 20 minutes.

After breakfast I walked alongside my pool with naked foot for about 30 minutes.

On holidays I repeat this session.
#48 Old 05-27-2008, 03:17 AM

Tae Kwon Do 3 times a week which is only about 5 hrs unfortunately but iv got a busy life. i try to other stuff but i get lazy
#49 Old 05-28-2008, 04:24 AM

I do BodyCombat twice per week, BodyPump twice per week, Step once per week and a weekly Tai Chi class.

I really need to start doing Tai Chi practise everyday though and throw some Chi Kung in for good measure.
#50 Old 05-29-2008, 01:56 AM
Veggie Regular

A 40 minute run at least 4 times a week

Twenty minutes of intense push ups and sit ups and either dips or pullups 2-3 times a week

Twenty minutes of plyometrics- star jumps, squat jumps etc 2-3 times a week

1-2 hours boxing training 3-5 times a week; skipping, sparring, hitting bags, exercises etc

Circuit training about once a week (an hour)
#51 Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Beginner

I run minimum 3x/week (sometimes up to 6x/week) ~40-60 min

I hike 1x/week or 2wks ~6-9 miles.

I (try) do weights 2-3x/week at the gym or killer dvd workout (lunges/squats/arms using light dumbbells)

on days i don't want to exert myself, i power walk for 60 mins

rest day on sundays.
#52 Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 PM

I walk 2-3 miles a couple times a week, outside or on elliptical at home.

Take 32 flights of steps or more ( if I use computer lab or cafeteria) twice a week while at school, all while carrying about 40lb. backpack. (added to my 117 is alot).

Pilates class twice a week while at school also.

30 minutes of yoga a few days a week.

Strength training 1-2 times a week also.

Plus I have an active toddler that I chase and play with constantly.
#53 Old 06-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I walk/jog around 4 miles outside on the bike trails near the river Monday thru Friday.
#54 Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

do we have any serious weightlifters/powerlifters/bodybuilers here?

Because theres nothing better you can rub in the noses of meat eaters who pump iron and loftily state that you cant get as strong as a veggie!
#55 Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

SeaSiren's pretty serious (she's a figure competitor) and I think there are a couple of others around who do bodybuilding & powerlifting competitions. There are a couple of threads in this forum that talk about vegan bodybuilding.

Studies have demonstrated that vegetarians won't gain AS MUCH muscle mass as meat eaters on the same weight training program over the same period of time. So if you're going to rub someone's nose in it, just be aware of that little tidbit. However, that's not to say you can't build a lot of muscle as a vegan bodybuilder. Obviously, many people do it. It just takes longer and is harder to do without meat in the diet.
#56 Old 06-08-2008, 03:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

SeaSiren's pretty serious (she's a figure competitor) and I think there are a couple of others around who do bodybuilding & powerlifting competitions. There are a couple of threads in this forum that talk about vegan bodybuilding.

Studies have demonstrated that vegetarians won't gain AS MUCH muscle mass as meat eaters on the same weight training program over the same period of time. So if you're going to rub someone's nose in it, just be aware of that little tidbit. However, that's not to say you can't build a lot of muscle as a vegan bodybuilder. Obviously, many people do it. It just takes longer and is harder to do without meat in the diet.

maybe you wont pack on as much mass....but even then I'm not sure if I agree; all meat is is loads of amino acids, fat and fibre; and on a molecular level they are no different to sources of these nutrients elsewhere; for these studies you mentioned to be accurate, the calories and protein intake of both groups of people would have to be exactly the same, just with some from meat, others from meat free sources.

However, with powerlifting and bodybuilding its not just how big and strong you are...but you muscular and strong you can be POUND FOR POUND; so even if you're smaller you can be 'stronger.'

e.g As far as I'm concerned Lamar Gant who weighed about 130lbs but deadlifted 600 (!) is stronger then Andy Bolton who weights something like 350 lbs and can deadlift just over 1000...

ditto for a small but totally ripped bodybuilder then a huge lump of muscle and fat
#57 Old 06-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow everyone! Impressive!!

I do Jazzercise for 1 hour, 4 times a week - it sounds lame, but I LOVE it, it's like a dance class and they have child minding for $2! Then on the weekends I have just started jogging alongside my kids on their bikes for about an hour. I spend half the time laughing so hard with them that it feels like doing I'm doing crunches while running!

Other than that, I just chase my 3 year old everywhere.
#58 Old 06-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_Jihadist View Post

maybe you wont pack on as much mass....but even then I'm not sure if I agree; all meat is is loads of amino acids, fat and fibre; and on a molecular level they are no different to sources of these nutrients elsewhere; for these studies you mentioned to be accurate, the calories and protein intake of both groups of people would have to be exactly the same, just with some from meat, others from meat free sources.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...aneating_1.htm

Quote:
in comparing an omnivorous diet (meat containing) with a vegetarian diet, Campbell et al (1995, 1999) demonstrated that strength gains and body composition improvements are impaired when meat is removed from the diet.

In their studies, subjects weight trained for twelve weeks while consuming a 2300kcal diet consisting of 70-90gP (12-15%), 267-317gC (49%), and 82-87gF (7-11%). The only difference between groups was the fact that one group ate a meat-free diet while the other group ate meat. At the end of the twelve weeks, the meat eaters lost 2.8lbs of fat while gaining 3.74lbs of lean tissue. The vegetarians, on the other hand, lost no fat weight and lost 1.76lbs of lean tissue.

I believe the "Campbell et al" is T. Colin Campbell of the China Study. Berardi's forum has an entire section devoted to vegetarian bodybuilding (hosted by a vegan) so he's not anti-veg. The whole "Lean Eatin" article I linked to above is interesting. All proteins are NOT equal - he even compares body composition changes when subjects are fed the same diet & exercise routine but one group gets whey and another gets casein+whey.

Quote:
Demling et al (2000) compared two groups on a 2100 to 2300kcal diet containing 143gP (26%), 286gC (52%), and 49gF (20%). Both groups weight trained for twelve weeks but received 75g of their daily protein intake from either a whey-based drink or a milk-protein isolate drink (80% casein, 20% whey). At the end of the study, the milk-protein isolate group lost more fat (15.4lbs vs. 9.2lbs), gained more lean mass (9lbs vs. 4.4lbs), and gained more upper and lower body strength than the whey group. It appears that milk protein isolate ingestion, when on a training program, may be a better way to enhance fat loss and muscle gain.

Lands et al (1999) showed that when supplementing with 20g of whey or casein for three months, the whey group had up-regulated their antioxidant defense systems and had increased performance in an anaerobic exercise task. The casein group didn't improve on any of the above parameters. Therefore whey may be better for antioxidant protection.

Since the fast vs. slow debate focuses on whey (fast) vs. casein (slow), let's address that research here. In studies by Boirie et al (1997) and Dangin et al (2001), it was shown that whey protein is better for up-regulating protein synthesis while casein protein is better for down-regulating protein breakdown.

(sorry for the long quote - it's from the same article above). I think it's interesting that even different proteins from the SAME source can produce different results in subjects.

Quote:
However, with powerlifting and bodybuilding its not just how big and strong you are...but you muscular and strong you can be POUND FOR POUND; so even if you're smaller you can be 'stronger.'

ITA. I was just trying to tell you that if you rub it in someone's face that all protein is the same and vegans can be body builders too, you should be prepared to refute stuff like the above, which demonstrates that not all proteins are the same.
#59 Old 06-13-2008, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...aneating_1.htm

I believe the "Campbell et al" is T. Colin Campbell of the China Study. Berardi's forum has an entire section devoted to vegetarian bodybuilding (hosted by a vegan) so he's not anti-veg. The whole "Lean Eatin" article I linked to above is interesting. All proteins are NOT equal - he even compares body composition changes when subjects are fed the same diet & exercise routine but one group gets whey and another gets casein+whey.

(sorry for the long quote - it's from the same article above). I think it's interesting that even different proteins from the SAME source can produce different results in subjects.

ITA. I was just trying to tell you that if you rub it in someone's face that all protein is the same and vegans can be body builders too, you should be prepared to refute stuff like the above, which demonstrates that not all proteins are the same.

Crappy, misinformed internet advice. Yet, another reason exercise physio needs to become a high school requirement.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#60 Old 06-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I work in the field, so I teach Boot Camp, Strength, and Abs on a regular basis. I also teach Kickboxing when we need subs, but am not on the regular schedule for that right now.

I try to cardio at least 6 days per week for 40-60 min, whether it be running, the elliptical, or spinning (I teach that too, but usually just do it on my own in my basement since I have a bike.) My boyfriend and I take bike rides together too, or his dog for a hike, often on the weekends too.

I strength train 3 times per week, full body, usually 2 sets of 12-15 reps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page