Back to training - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Beginner

So after soccer ends i'm gonna go back to running 6 miles a day training for a half marathon. When i was doing 6 a day the lower part of my calves started to hurt so much and it felt like they were stretching like a rubber band everytime i walked,its hard to explain, so i hope that doesn't happen again!

My question is if 6 miles a day is too much, mainly because i'm really busy and don't have time to plan meals so i grab what i can, i don't want to hurt my body. It's my junior year in high school so i'm real stressed out and i just remember running really helped me feel better. I can't wait to get back in routine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

daily exercise doesn't give your muscles enough time to recover between runs and can be detrimental to your performance in a marathon. i am training as well and am using a training schedule and going 3-4 days a week running and the otehr 3-4 days are spent resting/doing weights/what ever

if your calves are getting tight, you may want to look into stretches specifically for your calves. You can look into paying for a few sessions with a personal trainer.
#3 Old 11-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

daily exercise doesn't give your muscles enough time to recover between runs and can be detrimental to your performance in a marathon. i am training as well and am using a training schedule and going 3-4 days a week running and the otehr 3-4 days are spent resting/doing weights/what ever

if your calves are getting tight, you may want to look into stretches specifically for your calves. You can look into paying for a few sessions with a personal trainer.

What he said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm a she
#5 Old 11-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i'm a she

Doh, that crazy little S. What a difference it makes!
#6 Old 11-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

LMAO :-D i'm also in training for a marathon post hip injury. Rebuilding up to that former endurance.
#7 Old 11-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

LMAO :-D i'm also in training for a marathon post hip injury. Rebuilding up to that former endurance.

Libellula, I wonder if you or someone else would have an idea about this... I've been running on and off for a couple of years. I ran my first marathon in 2006. Mid-July 2007 I sustained a foot fracture. It has mostly healed now; the whole healing process went right on track according to the doctors. I'm just wondering how long it would be before I can run again. And how long before I can even think of training for another marathon. My doctor was not very specific; he just told me to not run for a couple of months at least (that was in September) and to then judge by pain. I understand it can vary greatly from person to person but just wondering what my best estimate would be. Should I really be basing my coming back to running on whether or not it hurts? I tried the treadmill the other day and it hurt to run. Walking is fine though as well as light jogs.
#8 Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 PM

Consider following a 12 week training routine similar to this:

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

That is the safest way to train for one to reduce the risk of injury
#9 Old 11-03-2007, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

with my hip, my doctor had PT set up for me to coincide with an increase in activity. From stationary bike to walking, from walking to running, going until I feel even the slightest bit of discomfort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page