Calling All Hamsters! Post Your Exercise Activities Here! - Page 33 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

#961 Old 08-24-2015, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Half Marathon is looming! Panic - don't panic.

Ran 12k on Saturday. It was ok - had a steady run (I was aiming for 1hr 15mins which I did not quite make did 1hr 20mins). But I had a horrible stitch around km9 so had to run walk for about 1km.

15K planned for next weekend. Then 18 the weekend after and then it's the half marathon! Aiming for under 3hours as this is supposed to be a social run.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#962 Old 09-03-2015, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
Half Marathon is looming! Panic - don't panic.

Ran 12k on Saturday. It was ok - had a steady run (I was aiming for 1hr 15mins which I did not quite make did 1hr 20mins). But I had a horrible stitch around km9 so had to run walk for about 1km.

15K planned for next weekend. Then 18 the weekend after and then it's the half marathon! Aiming for under 3hours as this is supposed to be a social run.

C
How are your runs going? Best wishes with your half marathon!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#963 Old 09-03-2015, 03:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I forgot to share here that I did 9.5 miles of paddling and portaging a canoe/packs this last weekend with my husband. This was our pre wilderness camping trip preparation to get our canoeing arms back in shape and test the canoe and our energy and strength for the upcoming trip. In less than two weeks we will be camping in a wilderness park for six days, traveling by canoe and foot only over seven lakes and rivers and carrying all our gear. I have not done an overnight wilderness canoe camping trip since 2010 due to school and other obligations since that time. I am both excited and very nervous. Mostly the nerves are due to what kinds of weather conditions we will face, since high wind and cold can affect our travels.

The day trip went well but I really overdid it since I was busy from 6am to 10pm nonstop the day before...gym, work, store, helping devise a makeshift canoe rack for our car since my husband's truck broke down at the last minute. I really didn't get enough sleep or rest for seven hours of paddling and carrying a heavy load so I was fairly tired by the end of Saturday and completely exhausted by Sunday! I have been trying to get more rest, not work out as hard this next two weeks to give my body a chance to build up for this trip. Of course we will have a few inbetween layover days on the trip too so it won't be so much physical labor everyday. Looking forward to campfires, loons calling, awesome camp food, and waking up to birds singing instead of the sounds of traffic lol.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#964 Old 09-07-2015, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
How are your runs going? Best wishes with your half marathon!
Going - the runs are going. I was away on hols in Exmoor and did lots of long uphill walks and a couple of runs so I've got the miles in my legs. I'll do one last intense run this week and then relax till Sunday! :-)
#965 Old 12-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I rocked my Cybex workout today!... (sort of)...

I'm not training to win any bodybuilding contests- that was never my goal. But today I added an extra repetition to about 4 of my 9 sets. I'm in my mid-60s, so I don't push myself nearly as hard as I did in my 30s- and anyway, I have a naturally slender build: ectomesomorph, if I judge it right- a bit beefier (sorry!) than ectomorph, but definitely scrawny more than brawny. Even so, I seem to be holding on to the gains I've slowly made, and think I've even added a bit of muscle mass in my shoulder/chest area (my shirts are a bit tighter in those areas at any rate- yay!)

The funny thing is, although I generally do eat with health in mind (even though I dropped animal foods mostly because of my desire not to harm animals), my diet today and yesterday was a but high in carbs and just a tad low in protein. Maybe I was wrong.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 12-11-2017 at 05:46 PM.
#966 Old 03-23-2018, 07:45 AM

I was so excited to find this thread... and then so let-down when I found out that it died! Let's get it going again!
Tom likes this.

--- Restoring God's creation through environmental stewardship. --- Active Spartan race competitor, traveler, and animal lover! ---
Instagram: @the_forest_calls
#967 Old 03-24-2018, 04:02 PM

Did one hour of cardio-strength training today. Interval sprints, weighted squat jumps, farmer carrys, deadlifts, burpees, and such. Finished with a 1 1/2 mile run, just for fun!

--- Restoring God's creation through environmental stewardship. --- Active Spartan race competitor, traveler, and animal lover! ---
#968 Old 04-04-2018, 08:13 AM

Yesterday was leg day (weighted squat jumps, med ball throws, resistance sprints, lunges, sled pushes, burpees, etc.), and I'm feeling it today! I have a group "boot camp" class tonight, which is one of the highlights of my week. I'm the only veg*n there (possibly in my whole school), and if I try to talk about it people look at me like, "stop talking crazy." It's a little depressing, but at least I can represent plant-based athletes!

#969 Old 04-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Sasssafraserasssin.... grr...

I've been working out, but 2-3 months ago I was a bit sore in my lower left side area, so I stopped doing my lower-back and abdomen exercise. I added them back at a lower intensity about a month ago, and everything seems to be going fine; I'm starting to work back up gradually. My right bicep, near the elbow, has been a bit sore too, so I've cut back on the reps there.

Gotta start back up on my Tai Chi again. (I just do the basic Yang-style 24 form- it only takes around 5 minutes... maybe I'm doing it too fast).

But my brisk walking to get around is so much a part of me that I often don't even count it, although I spend more time doing that than anything else physical.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 04-07-2018 at 09:44 AM.
#970 Old 05-26-2018, 11:33 PM
A softball catcher

Finally broke an 8-mile run while training for a half marathon

This morning I finally broke an 8 mile run.

I went out for a run after having breakfast which consisted of oatmeal with some almond milk, brown sugar, maple syrup, blueberries and strawberries. Plus I had a cup of coffee with it. I went out for my run since I didn't have to be at our tournament until 10 that morning. I just ran at a regular pace. I was running and I had even ran past the Starbucks I normally stop at around the 8 mile mark. I ran a little more and thought to myself "dang, I ran more than 8 miles" which I know this because there is a doughnut shop about a half mile from the Starbucks. I was very proud of myself.
Tom likes this.
#971 Old 06-03-2018, 01:01 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

@rylielovessoftball I'm proud of you too! It's 5.9 miles between my house and my workplace, and sometimes I walk or bike that distance. I don't think I'd want to run that, even though it's flat terrain.

I completed my gym workout an hour ago- nothing astounding. But some time back, instead of doing two sets of chest presses on Cybex, I subsituted a set of dumbbell presses on my back for one of those. It's a lot harder to handle the weight- instead of just pushing as hard as I can against the grips of the machine, I also need fine control to keep the weights from wobbling around. I do a 115 lb setting on the Cybex for this, but I had to start with two 20-pound dumbbells when I started that. I gradually worked up to 35 pounders, and today I managed 9 reps for the first time. (I don't think I even want to try barbells. At least with the dumbbells, if my muscles give out, i still have more than enough strength to prevent them from falling on me.)
rylielovessoftball likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page