Calling All Hamsters! Post Your Exercise Activities Here! - Page 32 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

#931 Old 04-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Today I rode my bike for the first time this year. It was freakishly warm for April in NE Minnesota. I only did about four miles but it felt good. I am planning to start riding my bike to work this week if the good weather keeps up. I did some weight training at my home gym also.

Yesterday I did some hiking/geocaching with my husband in Wisconsin. We did a bit of bushwhacking and I had capris on. Bad mistake.

ps the shoes in the pic are Five and Dimes, all vegan canvas shoes with hard grippy soles made for rock climbing (and mountain biking which is why I bought them). I love the hard soles on these. I have to tie them loosely though because I have a very high instep and high arches. Dang years of ballet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	123.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	8010   Click image for larger version

Name:	122.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	8018  
Shallot likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#932 Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 AM
Beginner

Finally hit 375lbs for deadlift!

I guess I have to set a new goal now. Short term 400lbs, longish term 485lbs.
#933 Old 04-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Monday, instead of doing my usual workout at the gym, I bought almost 30 pounds of rolled oats, took the bag on the bus with me, and lugged the bag 5-1/2 blocks from the bus stop to my house. I swear I was a bit more sore than if I had done my usual Cybex routine... really gave my back, biceps, and shoulders the burn.
Naturebound and amb42625 like this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#934 Old 04-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I had three glorious days of riding my bike to the gym and work. Really enjoyed the fresh air (though 40 degrees and wind in the early morning is a bit exhilarating lol). Unfortunately it is going to turn cold again all next week with low temps in the twenties and highs of only 40 degrees at most. Sighs. I just can't tolerate cycling in temps below 38 degrees, no matter how warm I am dressed. I'm the type of person who is always freezing.
Tom likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#935 Old 04-17-2015, 11:06 AM

Slow and steady wins the race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
I don't really exercise much because I'm lazy but I've been trying to take better care of myself so I'm slowly easing into it. I figure if I just do a small amount every day I'm less likely to get sick of it and give up, it's better than nothing.

Today I had a brisk walk for about half an hour, lifted weights, and did some squats and calf raises.
That's so true! It took me a while to get into fitness at all (definitely was a confirmed couch potato for... well, forever), but I started slow and now I love every minute! You'll get there. Every little bit helps!
Tom likes this.
#936 Old 04-17-2015, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I finally got off my butt and exercised today. It warmed up to 76 today, so I couldn't resist going out and enjoying the weather.

I originally wanted to go to the local park to shoot some hoops, but I discovered my basketball is partially flat. I need to get a bike pump to fill it up.

So I pulled out the iPod and went jogging instead. I have no idea what distance I did, but I alternated jogging and walking for roughly 40 minutes. More walking than jogging, since I'm so out of shape, but I did enough jogging to work up a sweat, anyway.

Now I'm dead tired. Not getting a full night sleep last night doesn't help. Hopefully, this will help with my insomnia issues.

--Fromper
#937 Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 PM

I walked just under three miles today in exactly an hour. It felt great!
It's gonna be 80 degrees here tomorrow and that means I'll exercise inside on my elliptical. I don't like hot weather.
#938 Old 04-18-2015, 11:28 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Well, I had three glorious days of riding my bike to the gym and work. Really enjoyed the fresh air (though 40 degrees and wind in the early morning is a bit exhilarating lol). Unfortunately it is going to turn cold again all next week with low temps in the twenties and highs of only 40 degrees at most. Sighs. I just can't tolerate cycling in temps below 38 degrees, no matter how warm I am dressed. I'm the type of person who is always freezing.
Although I normally prefer warm weather (even hazy, hot, and humid rather than cold!), I can usually deal with cold weather... except on a bicycle. The extra wind from moving along just takes everything out of me. I'm planning to start riding again any day now, though, and will probably start bicycle-commuting this week, weather permitting.

My gym started letting members put a hold on their membership, once a year, for one to four months. I think I'll try it this summer- there's so much other stuff to do. I just hope I don't lose too much strength from three months off.
Naturebound likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#939 Old 04-18-2015, 07:12 PM

Ran an 8k today. 2nd in my age group with a time of 38:46!
Tom, LedBoots, Naturebound and 1 others like this.
#940 Old 04-29-2015, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, back on the bike this week! Weather has been gorgeous. Early mornings (6am) are still in the mid 30's but I tough it out because by the time I get off work and ride my bike home I am rewarded with 60 degree F temps.

Yesterday morning instead of riding my bike to the gym, I rode right on by it and kept riding to my favorite little back bay of the St. Louis River. I watched some Goldeneye ducks floating on the water and rode past a group of Canada geese watching me with half interest, and I rode along a half country road, up and down hills and gravel areas, and I relished the peace and quiet and fresh air and blood going to my legs for 45 minutes of cycling before riding in to work for a long hard day. After work i took the long way home on my bike. so all in all I got about an hour and ten minutes of riding in.

Cycling outside really gets me in the moment and makes me forget about all the crazy stresses in my life right now. I tend to pay attention to my surroundings and my senses feel more alive. It's a great way to center oneself. Of course there is still traffic to worry about depending on where you ride, but it's still fun.
no whey jose likes this.

#941 Old 05-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
originally wanted to go to the local park to shoot some hoops, but I discovered my basketball is partially flat. I need to get a bike pump to fill it up.
So I borrowed a pump from my sister last weekend and filled up my basketball. It started to warm up again yesterday (after being back down in the 40s and 50s a few days ago), so I went to the park to shoot some hoops.

It was colder than I expected when I first walked outside - I was in shorts, and I thought maybe I should have worm sweatpants instead, but once I got moving, I warmed up pretty quick and worked up a sweat.

Today, it's much warmer, so I'll see if I have time to go out and do that again.

--Fromper
#942 Old 05-19-2015, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

So I signed up for a half marathon. It's in September and I generally do some running - but rarely more than 5k - so this feels like a stretch target.

I did a short run this morning. :-) Intervals planned for Thursday. EEEK.
Tom and Naturebound like this.
#943 Old 05-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Got out to the park near me to shoot some hoops again yesterday. I really suck at it, but it's decent exercise. This is why I just go by myself and practice some shots while the court's empty, instead of trying to get into a real game.

--Fromper
Tom likes this.
#944 Old 05-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
So I signed up for a half marathon. It's in September and I generally do some running - but rarely more than 5k - so this feels like a stretch target.

I did a short run this morning. :-) Intervals planned for Thursday. EEEK.
[Darth Vader voice]Impressive... Very impressive...[/Darth Vader voice]

I've been riding my bicycle for maybe 3 weeks now, off and on-mostly to and from work, and only when it's not going to rain. My place of employment has a safe area where you can lock up your wheels for a few days if riding home isn't a good idea, although they won't let us leave our bikes there for long-term storage, such as over the winter. But today was the first time this season I rode both ways on the same day- ~6 miles each way- and my legs didn't hurt. I had to work up to it though.
LedBoots likes this.

#945 Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
Got out to the park near me to shoot some hoops again yesterday. I really suck at it, but it's decent exercise. This is why I just go by myself and practice some shots while the court's empty, instead of trying to get into a real game.

--Fromper
And did it again yesterday. That's twice in one week. For a lazy guy who rarely exercises, this is pretty good for me.

--Fromper
LedBoots likes this.
#946 Old 05-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

yaaaaaay starting again with inline skating tonight ! We should do some 20km into the night !

So I'm now digging in the cereals bowl (yep soy milk ). nomnomnom

Bon appétit !
#947 Old 05-25-2015, 04:47 AM
theveganandmuffin

I dance!! Thing is i do not have time to go to the gym.. so i do it at home. OTher times, i get bored with following zumba videos or learning steps. So extemporaneous dances is what i enjoy doing to keep me fit!! This is me doing an impromptu dance as an intermission number for school: https://www.facebook.com/mikkatriasr...78542654334434

Sweated like a pig right after. :')
#948 Old 05-25-2015, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I met my first goal! I went on a three day camping trip and did some canoeing with my husband, and I was able to lift our 18 foot 42 pound canoe up over my head and onto my shoulders and carry it for a long distance. And this is after our six mile canoe adventure on a very windy long lake. For years, being underweight and suffering with an eating disorder, I could not get that canoe (or any canoe) over my head let alone portage with it. I made it a goal that one day I would be able to do this. I want to be able to carry my share of the load when my husband and I go on wilderness canoe camping trips (we have done five together so far). My husband now has rheumatoid arthritis and it is very hard for him to carry the canoe. I want to be able to do it for him so he can keep paddling with me a while longer.

At any rate, here is the story this last weekend. Coming in from our paddle on Flour lake, we decided to dock at the canoe landing instead of at our campsite. Greg would then coach me and show me how to lift the canoe up onto my shoulders. We brought all our other gear back to our campsite first (day pack, camera, paddles, lifejackets etc). I told Greg I was going to stop at the latrine and would meet him back down by the landing. For some reason he thought we would meet at the campsite first. So I waited and waited and waited for him. he had already shown my two techniques for lifting the canoe. One was to pick it up on the side and flip it over and onto my shoulders. The other was to lift the canoe upside down from the end of it and walk it over my head and walk my arms forward with it until I was under the middle and then set it down over my shoulders.

So I got tired of waiting for him and I chose the second technique because the first still seems a little daunting, though it is the better of the two techniques when balancing on rocks/mud in the wilderness and lifting the canoe (as opposed to a nice flat canoe landing to work with). I managed to get myself under the canoe and walk my arms to the middle and set it down on my shoulders, then get both ends airborn and balance the canoe while walking about 4/10 of a mile back to the campsite. It wasn't that bad as far as the weight, but the long length of the canoe made it a challenge in the windy conditions and I really had to work my body to keep the canoe in a straight line and not get whipped sideways. And I still don't have a technique down for setting the canoe back down. I was spoiled in that we had the truck to set it against. I will need to practice that. But for my first attempt I think I did pretty damn well! I couldn't even get the canoe over my head for years. I have been working hard rebuilding muscle at the gym so I can do this.

the next day surprisingly my shoulders weren't sore at all! Yeah! Here is the video Greg took when he saw me coming up the road.

https://youtu.be/dvPbNnF5IUM

ps. Despite Greg barking orders at me, lol, I am the boss in our relationship, make no mistake he he he.
Ad Elie likes this.

Last edited by Naturebound; 05-25-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Can't figure out how to embed a video
#949 Old 06-16-2015, 08:24 PM

Ran a full marathon Saturday. In 4:28:26 was very muggy out. My 2nd Marathon I dedicated it to my dad. He was a WWII vet he passed away last year.
Naturebound likes this.
#950 Old 06-16-2015, 10:32 PM

Ran 45 minutes today, and in between I did planks, push ups, squats, and lunges. After not exercising for three days, it feels good to get back at it! Tomorrow I plan on doing some hill repeats on the bike ... maybe do a triathlon at the end of the summer.
Naturebound likes this.
#951 Old 06-17-2015, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been cycling a lot again. Last Sunday I did some mountain biking in the woods, mostly on ski trails. Still doing weight lifting three times per week and building strength for our wilderness canoe camping trip in September.

As a side note, Grandma's marathon is taking place this coming weekend in Duluth, but my husband and I will be 100 miles north of here doing a twenty mile mountain bike trail in the Superior National Forest.

#952 Old 06-17-2015, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Intervals this morning. It was horrible.
Always is.

On the other hand it was bright, sunny and not hot.
#953 Old 06-17-2015, 04:36 AM

I do Shaun T's T-25 workout.....

4:35 am - headed to the basement to do "UPPER FOCUS"

Tomorrow is AB INTERVALS
#954 Old 07-18-2015, 08:49 AM

This morning I did a HIIT (high intensity interval training) routine coupled with about 30 minutes of leg-centric heavy lifting. Afterwards I coasted down to our local farmers market and picked up some beautiful sweet corn, tomatoes, and blueberries. Thankfully it's only about a mile from my house to downtown because my legs were SPENT!

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
#955 Old 08-01-2015, 04:50 PM

Joining on this thread to get back on track in a active lifestyle.
LedBoots likes this.
#956 Old 08-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Walked a little over 4km with the dogs which is pretty good considering they are 5 and 12 pounds respectively! Would've went further but it was getting dark and the mosquitos were bothering us.
#957 Old 08-02-2015, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm still doing my workouts five to six days per week, just not posting them everyday. I cycle on average about 4 days per week to work and to the fitness center. I lift weights/calisthenics about three days per week for 40 minutes. I do some cardio (aside from cycling) about four or five days each week for about 40 minutes to an hour (if cycling I do about an hour and ten minutes).

I did do the mountain bike adventure I mentioned in late June. Did 20 miles on a very rugged mountain bike trail in the Superior National Forest (Timber Frear Loop), but my husband and I had to be "rescued" after five hours and twenty miles (had planned on doing the thirty mile loop) due to being caught in torrential rain and wind when it was 51 degrees outside. It had been lightly raining all day but warmer and we peddled through washouts and mud and it was actually fun until the downpour started and the temp dropped. Then it became life threatening and was actually quite scary. In the future we plan to pay more attention to the weather forecast and not commit to such long rides if it isn't good. My rain gear helped but my husband's did not protect him in the least so he suffered mild hypothermia. I think the trail was a little over our heads too, but i think we could have completed it on a better weather day and with more time and preparation.

Yesterday we did a six mile hike in a state park. Not a big deal for us except that we got stuck on a long portion of trail that was not well kept, overgrown with tall grass, weeds, and very rocky blind ground along with endless hills lol. On the plus side we saw no other people on that portion of trail and we got to see a Swainson's thrush and a hummingbird attracted to my orange shirt. I also saw a leopard frog. It was a great day. Today is definitely a rest day!
LedBoots likes this.

#958 Old 08-02-2015, 11:40 PM

Tomorrow, I will be doing 45 min of cardio followed by 15 min of spot specific exercises. I just can't wait to get two months of this out of the way, then it super breezy easy to be active and to stay active!! I really did let myself go on this one....
#959 Old 08-21-2015, 09:21 AM

Today I did an hour of leg-based weightlifting. I did four sets of 10 reps of squats (50 lbs), dead lifts (50 lbs), alternating lunges (45 lbs), hip raises (50 lbs), side lunges (36 lbs), and calf raises (50 lbs). I felt really great doing this routine today, probably because I've been making a conscious effort to eat more (more fuel!) and due to the fact that the weather is so nice and cool. I even threw in some single-leg squats as a burn-out round.

I'm excited to go back to college because, among other things, I'll be able to use the gym there and up my weights (since the dumbbells I own only go up to 25 lbs each). I feel that I could have lifted more on a few of these exercises to challenge myself further, but I still was drenched in sweat when everything was said and done!

Oh! Last week I accomplished something that I had been striving to do for a long time I ran 5k without stopping once! All summer I've been working on building up my running endurance, having been someone who's never run like that before (I used to be quite overweight). I just jogged really lightly to pace myself and was surprised by how much stamina I had! I don't run too often, since lately I've been focusing more on weighted exercises as opposed to cardio, but I might try to do 5k again sometime this week.
LedBoots likes this.

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
#960 Old 08-21-2015, 12:13 PM

Awesome VeggiePowered!!! Enjoyed reading your post, loving it!
VeggiePowered likes this.

~John 14:6~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page