Are weights absolutely necessary? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Heya All,

I wanted to ask a quick question about weights. I try to go to the gym everyday, and when I'm there do about 40-50mins of cardio - usually a mixture of bike, treadmill and cross-trainer. When I'm in a rush I just do the bike and treadmill, 20mins of each. Thing is, I'm almost always in a rush, and my life is about to get busier - I'm a student nurse and have a hospital placement coming up.

My question is, are weights absolutely necessary? I know that a greater muscle mass increases basal metabolic rate, but I know people who do nothing but cycle everywhere, or power walk for miles and, therefore, do no 'weight training', so I'm not so sure - surely consistent cycling, or walking also builds muscle?

Thanks,

Cyr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Doing weights increases bone density. I'd say that's very important, especially as you age.

m8itcanw8.com
#3 Old 09-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Could you shave 10 minutes off your cardio to fit in a different body area of weights each day? It is an important part of a good workout, and, as the previous poster said, important especially for bone density.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I just failed my bone density test and my doc is suggesting weight training. I hate weights but I'll do it if it helps!
#5 Old 09-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the advice all!

When I used to exercise and had more time I always did weights, and it certainly did me no harm. I saw a huge difference in body size, weight and shape - but as I was doing both cardio and weights after having absolutely no fitness regime in my life, I didn't know which was doing all the good.

Would shaving ten minutes off the cardio be detrimental at all?

Thanks,

Cyr.
#6 Old 09-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

The best program is one that includes weights, stretching and cardio. It's better not skimp. Is it going to be detrimental to your health? Probably not. Is it ideal? Probably not.

As a nurse with 16 years of nursing behind him, I strongly urge you not to skimp on the weights, especially back exercises. It's vital to be in tip top shape to avoid injury, stress and strain.

I know all too well the stress of nursing school. I got my ADN 16 years ago and finally finished my BSN this past August. Good luck to you in your career.
#7 Old 09-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

if you are concerned about shaving off 10 minutes, why don't you see how many miles you normally do? which may be hard since you do 3 different machines. But I usually run 2 miles in about 18 minutes.. so days I want to make it short I do 2 miles in 15. You can always push yourself a little harder and get done a little sooner.
#8 Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 AM
AJH

Honestly, I think weights are key. I have an easier time getting weight off when I am on a weight program. You don't have to go to the gym though. I will walk or run with 2lb weights and this is great for toning up. Also it is more about the repetition than the weight amount. You can put weights on your legs and do lift and the same with arms and that works just as good. I do push ups and crunches as well. No need for the gym with any of this stuff.
#9 Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks all, I think I'll rethink my schedule! And I agree with you Tweety - we definitely do need to be in tip top shape to prevent injury.

It may be a little hectic until I graduate, but that's in February so not too far off!

Thanks,

Cyr.
#10 Old 09-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Good luck to you. The stats on nurses with injuries are staggering. (Did a paper for my RN to BSN program recently, but am too lazy to look up the reference). So take care of yourself.
#11 Old 09-14-2007, 11:06 AM

I have been weight training for 1.5 years.

A good weight workout is 30-60 minutes (no more than 60). And I would do cardio and weights every other workout so you are spending approximately the same amount of time working out.

There are a number of good sources - and for me "Body for Life" was a good starting point (though ditch the diet portion!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page