Not Enough Exercise. :| - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Alright, I'm looking for helpful suggestions. I am looking for some kind of exercise I CAN do.

I have knee problems (don't know why) and back problems (something muscular) that limits me on what kind of exercise I can do. I can't run or do lunges. Running not only hurts my knees, but it jars my backs. I can't do more than 5 lunges before my knees lock up. I can do jumping jacks to a certain extent before it starts jarring and stressing my back.

I walk a lot, but I can't seem to think of any other exercise. I do do some running every Monday night during dog Agility practice, but thats about it. Tuesday and Wednesdays nights I spend alteast an hour or two walking/standing around a building training my dog. On weekends I either work at the Humane Society or at Agility Dog shows where I do Run but not continuously.

Anyone got suggestions?

Should I just start walking A LOT more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Banned

have you had your back seen to by an chiropractor or osteopathy ?
#3 Old 07-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

have you had your back seen to by an chiropractor or osteopathy ?

I went to our family physician and he simply put me on tons of Tylenol and said it should heal. Meh.

My family can't afford anything else but that. I simply just avoid anything that will hurt my back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

So you've never had any x-rays or a CAT scan? If your insurance covers this, I would suggest seeing another doctor and requesting these. Also, it may be a good idea to seek physical therapy.

Back on topic...not knowing what is causing your back pain, it may help do some gentle stretching. I've have chronic low back problems for 20 years due to a herniated disc caused by several injuries. I also have problems with my sacroiliac joint, and stretching helps me tremendously.

I've recently started doing some gentle yoga stretches as well and those help too. I've been doing pilates on and off for a couple of years. That may be gentle enough for you while also toning your muscles.

Good luck. I know how hard it is to deal with back pain.
#5 Old 07-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

So you've never had any x-rays or a CAT scan? If your insurance covers this, I would suggest seeing another doctor and requesting these. Also, it may be a good idea to seek physical therapy.

Back on topic...not knowing what is causing your back pain, it may help do some gentle stretching. I've have chronic low back problems for 20 years due to a herniated disc caused by several injuries. I also have problems with my sacroiliac joint, and stretching helps me tremendously.

I've recently started doing some gentle yoga stretches as well and those help too. I've been doing pilates on and off for a couple of years. That may be gentle enough for you while also toning your muscles.

Good luck. I know how hard it is to deal with back pain.

My dad's opinion is that if I'm not dying, I dont need a doctor. :P

But thanks for that suggestion, I'll try stretching.
#6 Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting much support about this from your dad. It sounds like you're in a great deal of pain. Is it your lower back that hurts? If so, these might help strengthen it. They do wonders for me.

http://www.nismat.org/orthocor/progr...ackex.html#Ex6

A word of caution - start out with one exercise and and do about 3 reps. Work up to 5-10 reps. Do them very slowly and gently. If at any time you feel pain while doing them, stop. That particular stretch may not be the one for you. Once you've determined that a particular exercise is helping (or not), add another one and follow the same rules. These rules should apply to any type of stretching you do.

I've not really dealt with knee problems other than the occasional twinge of pain, but this site might help:

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/knee_exercises.html

Again, good luck. I'm no expert, but I've been through this, so let me know if you have questions or need support!
#7 Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting much support about this from your dad. It sounds like you're in a great deal of pain. Is it your lower back that hurts? If so, these might help strengthen it. They do wonders for me.

http://www.nismat.org/orthocor/progr...ackex.html#Ex6

A word of caution - start out with one exercise and and do about 3 reps. Work up to 5-10 reps. Do them very slowly and gently. If at any time you feel pain while doing them, stop. That particular stretch may not be the one for you. Once you've determined that a particular exercise is helping (or not), add another one and follow the same rules. These rules should apply to any type of stretching you do.

I've not really dealt with knee problems other than the occasional twinge of pain, but this site might help:

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/knee_exercises.html

Again, good luck. I'm no expert, but I've been through this, so let me know if you have questions or need support!

Actually I'm NOT in a great deal of pain, but I remember the feeling and do everything in my power to avoid it so even if I feel just a slight pull in my back, I stop any kind of exercise.

But yes, its my lower back on my right side.

Thanks for the link.
#8 Old 07-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

You really should go see an orthopedic...
#9 Old 07-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

you're welcome.
#10 Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

consider trying yoga--with a teacher if you can considering your needs.

good luck!
#11 Old 07-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Just wanted to let everyone know I have found something that doesn't stress my back so much.

I dont know what they are called but they are like sit ups. Instead of lifting your upper body, you lift your legs up and push them into the air, lifting your butt off the ground at the same time. I saw them on a program on FitTV. :P I'm hoping I find more stuff that works for me!
#12 Old 07-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Beginner

have you considered exercising in water?

as you're 'weightless' in the water (such as a pool or the beach) your joints wont take so much pressure.

Try swimming laps or water aerobics. Very good cardio.

You could also try very gentle supervised weight training for strength as well as pilates or yoga which are kind to your body ^^

Good luck
#13 Old 07-28-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc_puddin View Post

have you considered exercising in water?

as you're 'weightless' in the water (such as a pool or the beach) your joints wont take so much pressure.

Try swimming laps or water aerobics. Very good cardio.

You could also try very gentle supervised weight training for strength as well as pilates or yoga which are kind to your body ^^

Good luck

Well, I dont swim, since I refuse to wear a bathing suit (as I think it shows too much skin) ...and I wouldn't have a pool to swim in anyway since I caught afford to go to the next town over and pay admission to the YMCA...not that I have time to do that anyway. I have about ...maybe 30-60 minutes each day that I could exercise, so it needs to be something I can do at home, either really early in the morning or latelate at night.
#14 Old 07-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused923e View Post

Well, I dont swim, since I refuse to wear a bathing suit (as I think it shows too much skin) ...and I wouldn't have a pool to swim in anyway since I caught afford to go to the next town over and pay admission to the YMCA...not that I have time to do that anyway. I have about ...maybe 30-60 minutes each day that I could exercise, so it needs to be something I can do at home, either really early in the morning or latelate at night.

This post was actually made by me, tasha_s1298... I didn't realize that my friend was signed in to her account. Oops. :P
#15 Old 07-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the type of exercise you are referring to is called reverse crunches
#16 Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're having a hard time with crunches, the plank may be easier on your back, and will help strengthen your back and your abs.

http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/exer...rmsupport.html
#17 Old 08-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Cycling is very easy on knees. It can be very nice for the back, or not ... rather depends on the bike's style, if it fits correctly, and what's wrong with the back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page