motivations to run? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I absolutely HATE running but I feel like it is one of the most benefical exercises. It is also the most frustrating because I feel that it really really tells you how OUT OF SHAPE.. or in shape you are.

For the past 4 days I have tried to get into running. I have a tredmill at my house so there is no excuse. I started at going for 5 minutes.. ( i thought i was gonna die ) and I've worked up to running most and walking fast for 20 minutes straight.

I know if I keep doing it I will loveit and WANT to run. But right now it is make it or break it. I need motivation to keep me on the tredmill. Do you have any tips or tricks? Things you think about... I try listening to music but ehhh. Maybe watching a movie while i do it so i forget the time? I don't know, i just keep staring at the damn clock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Try running outside instead. My motivation to run (besides that I like how it makes me feel) is that I love to get outside and see everything.

You could also try the movie-watching idea. I've heard of people watching TV shows and stuff too, for the same reason.
#3 Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Baby Love

I second the running outside. Running on a treadmill is pure torture for me. I find is very boring.

Honestly though, if you really hate running maybe you should try another exercise. I was in the best shape of my life when I was in Taekwondo. I could run 4 miles and barely break a sweat, but 10 minutes of sparring really kicked my butt (both literally and figuratively).

Also try ... jumproping, hiking, swimming, spinning/biking, kickboxing, dancing, weight training, etc. Variety is a good thing. The more you enjoy what you're doing, the more likely you'll stick with it and stay fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Have someone chase you... preferably in a ski mask wielding a dangerous power tool.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 07-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Have someone chase you... preferably in a ski mask wielding a dangerous power tool.

haha that would probably work - but it could be a bit scarring. did i mention one of my ultimate fears in life is being chased?? yesterday i was throwing my cousin's dog a ball, and while he ran to go fetch it i would run around the house into other rooms. he then started running faster and faster and I was too afraid to stop because he was chasing me!! (even though he is so small and doesnt bite) It freaked me out.. hahahaha
#6 Old 07-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Try running outside instead. My motivation to run (besides that I like how it makes me feel) is that I love to get outside and see everything.

You could also try the movie-watching idea. I've heard of people watching TV shows and stuff too, for the same reason.

running outside is so much more fun then on a treadmill, ive never met anyone who actually likes to workout on those things. oddly enough ive found that i actually run differently on a treadmill which causes me to get blisters way faster then running outside.
#7 Old 07-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Ankle Biter

running outside

running on a treadmill

I think it's very hard to run when it's hot and humid. I try to maintain my fitness in the summer, but use the other times of the year to increase distance or speed or change my route in any way. It's just too hard (for me) to set new goals when it's beastly out.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

The boogeyman is real. And he's coming to get you.
#9 Old 07-17-2007, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to want to fall asleep while at work every day just after lunch. Now I manage to stay awake just fine.

Also, the weight melted off of me when I started running. If you don't want to actually lose weight, then it gives you a good excuse to eat more.
#10 Old 07-17-2007, 03:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I do the treadmill....I don't run much, but I walk fast and try to mix it up a bit between running and walking....I hate it....it's boring....Music helps if it's fast and upbeat....but even that gets tiring after a while. TV/Movies don't help me at all....it's just boring, boring, boring, so the only motivation that works is I tell myself I'm a big fat blob (which I'm actually not, so that only works sometimes) and that my heart needs the exercise to stay healthy.

Doing it outdoors sounds like so much more fun, but I have issues....
#11 Old 07-17-2007, 05:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Oudoors is much, much better for me too. I need to be outdoors and loved all outdoors sports I ever tried, actually. Playing tennis is much morefun outside than indoors, too. If some seasons are too hot to run, you could alternate with swimming, which is also supposed to be all-round and is less stressful for your joints etc...
#12 Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 AM

You could mix it up and run on the treadmill for a little, then go outside, then come back inside. A change of scenery could keep you distracted, and your workout will seem shorter since you're doing it in brackets of time. Example: 10 min inside, 10 min outside, 10 min inside?
#13 Old 07-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

i find that treadmills much harder on my joints then running outside. at least outside i have a destination i found it kind of addictive. but if you dont like running, pick something else. the best workout is one you will actually stick to.

good luck and have fun.
#14 Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I took up running 5 1/2 weeks ago, using a plan called the Couch to 5K. I highly recommend it! It starts you with only tiny bits of running interspersed with walking, and over a 9-week period you gradually increase the running and decrease the walking until you are running for 30 minutes straight each time (about 5K). I am on week 6 now and I can't believe how great I feel already! It's hard, but doable because you don't try to plunge into it too fast.

My motivation: My dad has been a jogger for over 30 years, and he will turn 60 this year and is the fittest, healthiest person I know. He is as lean and fit as a 20 year old and he always has tons of energy to play with his grandkids and do whatever he wants to do. I want to age as healthfully as he is, and have that much energy throughout my life, too.

Oh, I also run outside, I have a park with paved walking paths, so I do a 5-minute warm-up walk from my apartment to the park, and then do the program there! Also, I have an iPod and immerse myself in my music...the combination of my favorite music and beautiful scenery is enough to make it enjoyable, even when my body is tired and I would otherwise feel like stopping!

www.veganspoonful.com
#15 Old 07-18-2007, 05:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmushroom View Post

I absolutely HATE running but I feel like it is one of the most benefical exercises.

Anything that gets your pulse rate up, and keeps it up for a sustained period, is beneficial. I ran for many years, and enjoyed it immensely, but gave it up after comparing running with a good workout on an elliptical machine. Running was simply putting too much stress on my joints, despite my best attempts to cultivate a low-impact running style (running only on a soft track, running at a modest pace, etc). I guess I should change my name to WalksWithFoxes

Good luck with your exercise program! Your body will thank you!

#16 Old 07-18-2007, 07:21 AM

I hated running at first barely able to run for 10 minutes at a time on a treadmill...IF you keep doing it you will fall in love with running, Well I did anyhow lol!!!! One tip is to get off the Treadmill and run outside, it helps you from getting bored...treadmill is just so...Boring lol, I know! Second is to not think of running as something you Have to do, But as something you WANT to do, therefore making it more enjoyable (after awhile you will be brainwashed into loving it LOL)!!! Although i never listen to music while running it might be beneficial to you, I enjoy listening to the sounds of nature...and all the natural elements mother nature has to offer...Just hang in there keep doing it and pretty soon you will be running all the time for fun!

Jeff
#17 Old 07-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Here are 101 motivations from Runner's World.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...1733-0,00.html

Bear in mind that many of these apply to experienced runners (like qualifying for the boston marathon! pff!!). But a LOT of them apply to n00bs too.

like...

46. PAY YOURSELF. Set a price for attaining a certain weekly mileage goal. When you hit it, pay up. Keep your mileage money in a jar, and once it accumulates, buy yourself that new running jacket you've been ogling.

This is the one that I remember most, and is always true:

59. REMEMBER that you almost always feel better after a run than before it.
#18 Old 07-19-2007, 02:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm also going to agree that running outside is much better.

usually I can focus on a point I want to get to & it makes it much easier for me.
#19 Old 07-24-2007, 03:49 PM

Have you heard of HIIT? When I get bored of just steady-state running, I like to go to the local high school track and run sprints. Sometimes I do it on a treadmill, too, although it's a lot of button-pushing. Try alternating 30-second sprints at 9-10mph with 60 seconds of walking at 4mph. You will get an awesome work-out in just 20 minutes and it will increase the oxygen capacity in your lungs. I find the changing of speeds makes the work-out seem more exciting and the time flies.
#20 Old 07-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Beginner

I run for an hour or more everyday without fail, and usually clock up around 10-12 miles. I confess to have a running addiction

However when I first started I hated it, as I was so unfit. Now I put on my i-pod, and just go. Running outside is preferable as its more stimulating. But if its too cold out i run on the treadmil with either a tv show, movie or someone to talk to.
#21 Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 PM
f_m

Did you find someone to chase you around yet? Just kidding.

Actually I like finding a good route or area to run and do a bit of sightseeing. I like campuses, parks, or areas with little car traffic. Also, if you go out and back, you are forced to run back once you go out. It's more interesting than a treadmill or inside running for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page