Any Runners here? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Beginner

I have just rediscovered it.

About 10 years ago, I ran longdistance completing several half marathons and one full.

Then I was forced out of running due to some chronic inflammation in my foot.

Unfortunately, I had this great idea to lift weights when I couldn't run anymore.... my weight SKYROCKETED (probably something to do with not changing my marathon diet)

My work just sponsored a contest based on the Biggest Loser TV show

This prompted me to try to get back into shape again.

6'3.5" 246 LBS at May 14th (start date)

I'm at 235 LBS right now.

I'm cycling to work each day and running every other day.

I'm thinking of capping my runs at 10K since I have a bit of history with my body breaking down with high mileage.

It feels just GREAT to run again.

I'd love to hear your stories & experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I run but not as often as I'd like. I really enjoy it but it bothers my knees so I limit myself to once or twice a week. The rest of the week, I crosstrain doing other stuff that isn't has hard on my knees.

I have the nike+ ipod thing. It's AWESOME!
#3 Old 06-05-2007, 03:45 PM

I used to be a runner, well for a few years. I did a half marathon and a few 10Ks but I had some problems with my hip and knee and now I am way over weight.

But I would like to run again someday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to be way overweight. Then I exercised my butt off (literally)
#5 Old 06-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Baby Love

I'm a casual runner ... 3 miles once or twice a week I'm another person who gets killed knees and/or tendonitis (even at a low weight). Despite the potential for injury, I love running in the mornings or evenings. Its my meditation.
#6 Old 06-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, Jamer! I too am a runner. I've just gotten into it over the last year and have really become enamored of it. I used to be that kid who hated running (as I recall, when we had to run the mile in fifth grade I "ran" mine in a whopping 22 minutes!!), but when I started training for triathlons, I learned to embrace the long runs as a chance to get away and just pound the pavement for a while. They've become the highlight of my week.

Welcome aboard!
#7 Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 AM
Beginner

I'm seeing a common theme of running injuries

I have to admit I've always wondered about whether running longdistance is really a wise thing to do?

I know so many people who have chronic injuries from running.

My Wife's uncle was a nationally ranked senior marathoner in Germany... he recently had hip surgery (related to the high mileage)

I think some people have the genetics for it but for me, 10K seems to work for me. (as long as I don't run 2 days in a row)

Thanks for the posts everyone! :-)
#8 Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I occasionally run, mostly on the treadmill and I also do long distance jogging on it. On a nice day I will run outside. Like others have said, I get pains in my ankles/knees, and sometimes an area in my leg so I don't do it too much. I think it's from gymnastics, I must put so much stress on my joints, I just feel it when I run/jog sometimes.
#9 Old 06-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I injured my knee before I ever started running. I hyperextended it a few times when I was a kid in gym class (I'm pretty accident prone.) Knee injuries tend to not ever heal completely. I think if you don't have prior knee injuries, you should be fine to run as much as you want.
#10 Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

I'm a casual runner ... 3 miles once or twice a week I'm another person who gets killed knees and/or tendonitis (even at a low weight). Despite the potential for injury, I love running in the mornings or evenings. Its my meditation.

I consider myself to be a casual runner as well, but I've started trying to further my distance. I've been a 5 mile runner for a couple years now and I'm trying to push on to 6, and get to where I can do it comfortably.

I just replaced my shoes and I'm hoping it will deal with the ankle pain I was experiencing. I had a bad knee when I was younger but running seems to have strengthened it, if anything.

Running is definitely a form of meditation for me as well.

I'd actually wondered if anyone else found it to be such.
#11 Old 06-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I love it. I've just started again this week after taking some time off due to my damn knee. As far as injuries go I think it depends. Some people are just built to run and not get hurt. I know many long distance runners in their fifties who run marathons and never get injured. Then there are others in their twenties such as my friend and I who have constant knee injuries but still force ourselves to do LD runs

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#12 Old 06-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

I injured my knee before I ever started running. I hyperextended it a few times when I was a kid in gym class (I'm pretty accident prone.) Knee injuries tend to not ever heal completely. I think if you don't have prior knee injuries, you should be fine to run as much as you want.

The accident prone comment reminded me of a friend of mine....

She actually broke a finger while running uphill

She was pumping her arms and hand hit thigh....ouch
#13 Old 06-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamer View Post

I'm seeing a common theme of running injuries

I actually get injured doing pretty much anything :P ... not just running. In taekwondo, I broke and dislocated a toe and cracked a rib. I cracked my collarbone falling out of bed. I broke my wrist when some other kid ran into me. I regularly fall down, burn myself, scrap things up, bruise, etc. etc. My small frame can only take so much and I'm just not that coordinated.
#14 Old 06-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Beginner

what is it about some people that they are so accident prone?

I always bug my friend about it telling her that "the medical clinic has an entire filing cabinet devoted to you"

Actually, I used to be pretty accident prone when I was a kid but I really don't have many problems now (knock on wood)
#15 Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

what is it about some people that they are so accident prone?

I always bug my friend about it telling her that "the medical clinic has an entire filing cabinet devoted to you"

Actually, I used to be pretty accident prone when I was a kid but I really don't have many problems now (knock on wood)

My mom swears we paid for my orthopedic's several new luxury cars when I was a kid... 6 broken bones from 1st - 5th grade!
#16 Old 06-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Ankle Biter

I've been running (jogging!) for the past 20 years. I was logging about 30-35 miles a week, but recently went down to about 23 and added 2-3 weight-room workouts each week with a shorter run to and from the gym. I've honestly never had any sort of injury. I've always maintained a normal weight, and I religiously replace my running shoes every four months. Running seems to suit my body type.

I don't really meditate, but I use my time running to think about things - my work, my family, any conflicts I'm feeling. It's good focused time for my brain and my inner self.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#17 Old 06-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Beginner

I've been wearing my ankle brace for my runs lately. Hard to say if it is helping me much but at least I have piece of mind that I won't be turning my ankle on a pebble.

anyone else use braces of any sort?
#18 Old 06-11-2007, 02:08 AM

I've recently started running, I always hated it as a kid but as I was trying to get fit and lose about 15 lbs I thought I'd give it a try, I'm so glad I did because it's completely addictive! I was actually laying in bed the other night thinking about how I couldn't wait to go for my next run!
#19 Old 06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesaleplum View Post

I've recently started running, I always hated it as a kid but as I was trying to get fit and lose about 15 lbs I thought I'd give it a try, I'm so glad I did because it's completely addictive! I was actually laying in bed the other night thinking about how I couldn't wait to go for my next run!

So true :-)

It's amazing how addictive it gets. For me it's partly the fitness element and partly the meditative aspect.

Do you get cranky if you can't run for a few days?
#20 Old 06-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

i cant believe i just found out about this thread:P im a pretty serious runner. i run about 50-80 miles a week. however, i havent done any races outside of school competition as i just graduated from high school last week.
#21 Old 06-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So true :-)

It's amazing how addictive it gets. For me it's partly the fitness element and partly the meditative aspect.

Do you get cranky if you can't run for a few days?

i agree its addictive. ever since i was a kid i was also into sports but never really liked to run. that changed when i broke my neck during a wrestling practice and then the only thing i could do was run. suprisingly i actually turned into a really good runner after only a year of running.
#22 Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg*nrunner View Post

i agree its addictive. ever since i was a kid i was also into sports but never really liked to run. that changed when i broke my neck during a wrestling practice and then the only thing i could do was run. suprisingly i actually turned into a really good runner after only a year of running.

Ouch!!!!

glad you were able to discover running!!!

One of the things I love about running is seeing even non-athletic people develop into very good runners. It's very cool!

I also see a number of ex-athletes turn to running when they get older.
#23 Old 06-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm always hesitant to call myself a "runner" since that seems to imply that I run fast or something. I do run, however. I alternate running and doing the elliptical machine, so I usually run 2 or 3 times a week. I run between 3.5 and 5 miles regularly, and then I do a number of races a year ranging from 5k to 1/2 marathon. I've thought of doing a full marathon, since the 1/2 is not difficult for me, but I'm not convinced it's really good for the body, and my primary reason for running is health. At the end of the 1/2 marathon my feet are always just starting to hurt, and I wonder how they would feel if I ran the full 26 miles! I've never had a running injury, and at age 38 I don't really want to test fate. I'm pretty proud of myself as it is since I used to be a chubby person who thought 2 miles was a long run. Now I can run for a long time and feel quite good. It is definitely meditative for me as well. It's a natural anti-depressant!
#24 Old 06-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Beginner

Thanks for sharing Eggplant!

You are definitely a runner! :-)

Good point about running being a natural anti-depressant, It REALLY does make you feel better mentally.

I know what you mean about not being convinced that running is good for the body. I ran a full marathon and my body just started to self-destruct while training for my second. The inflammation in my foot was so bad that I couldn't run more than 10 minutes for over a year!
#25 Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thanks for sharing Eggplant!

You are definitely a runner! :-)

Good point about running being a natural anti-depressant, It REALLY does make you feel better mentally.

I know what you mean about not being convinced that running is good for the body. I ran a full marathon and my body just started to self-destruct while training for my second. The inflammation in my foot was so bad that I couldn't run more than 10 minutes for over a year!

Nobody ever said love was without its share of pain.

It's hard on me but I still keep at it.
#26 Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I started running about six weeks ago after elliptically for a year and a half. Most of my friends and colleagues run marathons or more, so I felt like a big loser. I only do 4-5k four times a week, but my times are quite good, especially considering I haven't been at it long. I don't really want to do long distances at all. I'm not interested in anything over 10k. My plan is to focus on speed. My goal is a 20 minute 5k, and at the moment I'm pacing about a 28 minute 5k after just a couple weeks so I don't think it's completely unrealistic since I'm going to be training with some friends who know what they're doing.

My SO on the other hand started out with me, but has been plagued with a knee injury. He doesn't even know what's wrong with it. So I've been going it alone a lot lately. I have had no problems so far.
#27 Old 06-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Beginner

so true!!! I can't seem to stop either. :-)
#28 Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 PM

I just started running, I hated running when i was younger because i had really bad asthma and associated running with the inabiltiy to breathe. But now thanks to my wonder inhalers, running has started to become a part of me.

I love the feeling after running, its wonderful.
#29 Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Beginner

I just had a nasty experience on my run last night.

I started out quite strong and was well on my way to a personal best time , when at about 15 minutes I experienced shooting pains across my back (just under the rib cage area) I ran through it at first but when it continued I walked it off for 5minutes with no pain. I finished off with an easy 15 minutes with no difficulties. Guess I was pushing too hard

I've never had that happen before.... always a bit scary
#30 Old 06-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

This is a little late but I'm a runner. I don't consider myself a serious runner in that I'm not that fast but I have ran many halfs, a few 30ks, and 8 marathons and was a pace leader at my marathon club for a couple of years (I'm pregnant now so I had to drop that for this year).

I've never expereinced injuries other than minor things (knock on wood) but I attribute that to my slower pace. I have fun with it and that is what matters. I have met many great people through my club and they just amaze me. A lot of the people I run with are in their 50's and 60's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page