Massage - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 PM

Do you think masages offer any health benefits? My wife and I was thinking about it. Maybe it would release some stress.

Lambert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Beginner

I find massages to be very relaxing. And not just when I have tight muscles. There's a place close to where I work that gives chair massages and sometimes after a crappy day I go and get a quick 5 minute massage, just enough to make me feel pampered and to relax.

There are different types of massage and sometimes it can hurt (especially if you have very tight muscles) but if it hurts too much you should tell the massage therapist so s/he can make adjustments.
#3 Old 03-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I took massage for two semesters in college. I don't remember the benefits they attributed to massage but here are a few I think might be possibe:

1) Increased/improved circulation - As you are being massaged it probably increases the circulation in the areas being worked on.

2) Decreased stress level - This some something I definitely experienced when I was taking the class and getting regular massages. It was really cool to have a math or science test after my massage class. I usually was very relaxed and felt more prepared than I did without the massage.

3) Foot reflexology and acupressure - If you believe in foot reflexology or acupressure you can "treat" health issues with these techniques.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know, but I was with my daughter today, she was getting her hair straightened and the place is also a day spa. A woman was getting a foot/leg massage and I was watching since there wasn't much else for me to do for 3 1/2 hours. It looked pretty darn good to me! I would image at the very least, it has to be a stress reliever.
#5 Old 03-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

There are few things better in this world than a good back massage.
#6 Old 03-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't know, and don't care as long as I get some now and then!

ETA - ...massage that is. GET YOUR MINDS OUTTA THE GUTTER!!!
#7 Old 03-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lklein View Post

Do you think masages offer any health benefits? My wife and I was thinking about it. Maybe it would release some stress.

Lambert

It would be good if you could both learn together a course maybe.

And yes , it does release some stress .There seems to be health benefits with the increase blood circulation to surface areas
#8 Old 03-24-2007, 05:36 AM

I double majored in college, I got a certificate in massage. I currently don't practice it because I'm working in the field I have a degree in. Anyway, Yes, there are health benefits to massage. It's a great way to release toxins. A Swedish massage is were they massage your whole body. I sports massage is good if you have tight muscles, they stretch your arms and legs.

If you're curious, I would say go for it.
#9 Old 03-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Every time I run a marathon I get a massage about a week later. The stretches the therapist showed me have kept a lot of my formerly-chronic injuries at bay. I don't get massages often, but they sure are nice...in fact, I just scheduled myself one today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page