Physical Therapy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Some of you may remember a while ago when I complained about ankle problems. Well, I'm gonna skip the details and say that my mom finally took me to the doctor, and he perscribed physical theropy.

What should I expect? I asked someone and he said that it hurt when he had physical theropy. Ummmm, am I gonna be limping or something afterwards?

I just wanna know what I should expect. If you've ever had p.t., please shair your stories.

I go for the first time on Tuesday.

Yikes!

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2007, 09:37 AM

Your PT experience will vary greatly depending on your situation. Since you're not coming back from a serious injury or surgery, I don't think your PT will be painful at all. I would expect the physical therapist to first do a thorough examination of your ankle, maybe looking at flexibility, strength, watch you walk, etc. Then, they'll probably take you through a series of ankle exercises such as balancing on one leg, ankle movement with a resistance band, etc. Sometimes they use an ultrasound on injuries (such as Achilles tendonitis) to stimulate blood flow. But, you don't feel a thing when they do it. I hope this helps!
#3 Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Now I"m still scared, but feeling a bit better.

I wouldn't mind an ultrasound if it'll make blood flow better... as it is, I can't wear short socks because it'll cut off my blood flow.

Okay, well, I'll let you know how it goes. And again, thanks for the responce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm currently in Physio for a torn MCL. It's been fantastic. Some of the therapies are kind of uncomfortable, but they have helped so much!!!!

Make sure you do the perscribed exercises and good luck!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#5 Old 02-21-2007, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

So, how did it go?
#6 Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'm going twice a week now, and today will be my 3rd time, I can go up to 30 times in a year, after that the health insurance won't pay.

The first time they did electric theropy, the second time they did both electric theropy and one of those look-at-the-baby things (only there isn't a baby in my ankle ). I havn't been given any exercises yet, b/c the theropist is working on this lump on my ankle and trying to get it to go away-he currently dosn't know what it is. Supposidly, that'll make my ankle feel better and stronger. He can't do a MRI on the ankle, because he has nothing to compare it to, what with all the scar tissue and everything.

I have been told to "massage" my ankle every other day where the lump is, in hopes that if the lump is only scar tissue, that'll help. I would rather he told me to run a mile or something like that, because massageing scar tissue makes me want to puke... I am getting more use to the feeling, but still....

Okay, that's all so far. Thanks for caring,

Jennifer
#7 Old 02-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

in some cases, it's just hard work, like any form of exercise. it's not painful or scary. it's usually just hard work. no big deal.

in other cases, it's a lot of heat therapy, gentle stretches, even adjutsments. it really depends upon what the situation is, what your needs are.

after physical therapy, do yoga.
#8 Old 03-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, so I've gone a couple times now, not sher how many. My ankle is much stronger then it was before- yay!

Next Teusday I have my last p.t. sesion before I go back to the dr. hopefully, the doc. will say that I don't need any more p.t. and then I will have my 2/days/week back!

Jennifer
#9 Old 03-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay! Happy to hear you are improving!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page