Why Do You Do Yoga? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

For all those yogis out there, why do you practice? Fitness? Stress relief? Stretching? Something to do in the mornings? The spiritual side of yoga?

I've been studying yoga since high school (back in the day) and I love it. I became interested in it as a low-impact muscle toner, but have reaped the benefits for relaxation, improved ability to deal with stress, and I could even say a spiritual side.

Everyone goes for different, reasons, so I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2006, 02:37 PM

Strength, flexibility, stress relief, getting in touch with my body, becoming more conscious of my breathing, clearing my mind, etc...

I love practicing yoga. I always feel happier after I finish, and I feel like I release a lot of negative energy during my practice.

I have become SO much more flexible since I started doing yoga regularly. I used to do it only once a week or so, but I've been trying to do it every day. I definitely see a difference in my stretching abilities and my strength.
#3 Old 12-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the improved flexibility. I was doing yoga while studying kung fu for a while, and wow, did I see a difference! My kicks were higher, less- forced, and overall movement was quicker.

Thanks for the response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-30-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigann View Post

I agree with the improved flexibility. I was doing yoga while studying kung fu for a while, and wow, did I see a difference! My kicks were higher, less- forced, and overall movement was quicker.

Thanks for the response!

Awesome! I think the first time I noticed my flexibility improved was when I'd do a morning stretch, and I didn't feel as tight and tense as I normally would. Plus, I'm able to move into different yoga positions more smoothly and quickly. I used to struggle a lot in the beginning.

And you're welcome!
#5 Old 12-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

To stay flexible and feel good.
#6 Old 12-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Beginner

To achieve a sense of well-being.
#7 Old 12-31-2006, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont practice any religion, so yoga is kind of in place of where most people would put religion for me. Also, there are endless health and mental benefits of it. I love yoga.
#8 Old 12-31-2006, 02:12 PM

I am not currently practicing yoga. I started yoga practice a couple of years ago for 3 reasons. To relieve stress, increase flexibility for martial arts, and for insomnia.
#9 Old 12-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Beginner

I do it for stress relief and stretching. I love doing yoga.
#10 Old 01-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

i practice yoga as a spiritual discipline for enlightenment and liberation; but i also enjoy the diverse and wonderful physical effects!

my website about me and yoga
#11 Old 01-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I practice yoga (not as often as I should) for the sense of peace it gives me as well as for the flexibility and strength workout.

I love stretching, and I always feel like something loosens up in my soul and I can just relax when I'm sittting/standing/lying in a deep stretch.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#12 Old 01-05-2007, 01:13 AM

I am interested in starting a yoga routine but the places that offer it around my city charge an arm and a leg. Can you get the same benefits from a dvd and doing at home?
#13 Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

yes and no.

ultimately, yes, but in the beginning, one can develop bad habits from poor form. teachers help teach appropriate form.

teachers may also help teach some of the underlying principles to help their students "get them" more quickly, and apply them more quickly.

but, diligent practice with a teacher or without is what will bring results.

also, as a final recommendation (aside from my DVD--check the link in my previous post), i recommend that you 'save up' to try and take class once a month or so at least. this will give you the best of both worlds.
#14 Old 01-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I rarely practice yoga, although if I weren't so lazy I would do it more. I'm most motivated to do yoga when my back hurts. No matter how much my back hurts, yoga relieves the pain immensely (if not completely).

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#15 Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

starblossom, where is your back pain located? I have chronic low back pain and I've been thinking of taking up yoga for this and other reasons.
#16 Old 01-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetrust2001 View Post

I am interested in starting a yoga routine but the places that offer it around my city charge an arm and a leg. Can you get the same benefits from a dvd and doing at home?

Gah! I should have responded earlier... sorry... MIA.

I have to agree with the other responses. DVDs are easier (no travel involved), but I feel you can develop some potentially bad or hazardous habits. Just having your back foot facing at a poor angle in any of the warrior poses, for example, can blow out your knees in a few years of regular practice (according to my yoga class this morning). I do love Rodney Yee's Power Yoga DVD, however. It got me through college when I didn't have time to make it to class, too.
#17 Old 01-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Beginner

I do it whenever I'm feeling stressed - it helps instantly.

I'm trying to start doing it on a regular basis (part of my new years resolution), because it makes me feel more connected with my body, and that motivates me to eat better and exercise more.
#18 Old 01-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

in re yoga and back pain

yoga is great for back pain in any part of the back, as it stretches and strengthens the back muscles, which help support the spine and takes pressure of the hips, etc.

for those with back pain, i recommend practicing with a teacher.

in lieu of that, i have a Yoga for Sciatica article worth reading.
#19 Old 01-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I love doing yoga because it makes me feel aware of my body, more alive, in a way. It also eases my tensions and strengthens my muscles. I've never taken a yoga class so the only yoga training I've received is by DVD. So far, my favorite DVDs are the Rodney Yee series. I'd be interested to know what you all think of his instruction? I especially like the Slow-Burn yoga. I just got a power yoga DVD and I don't like it at all! It goes so fast, I don't feel I have enough time to really align in each pose.

Perhaps my favorite is my Rodney Yee A.M./P.M. yoga DVD. I really love the deep relaxation. It is amazing.
#20 Old 01-14-2007, 04:46 AM

I started doing yoga twice a week last fall mainly for health reasons(I was so stressed last spring that my body kept on shutting down, fainting), but since then it´s taken a big role in my life. The duality of mind and body becomes vague, because I´m so concentrated. I still struggle, but I love to see improvement. I´d never really exercised before I started yoga -so my body has a lot of catching up to do- but I can see little changes in my energy levels day by day.
#21 Old 01-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

rodney yee is a good instructor. i like his dvds.

i just ordered these dvds for myself: dharma mittra's dvds.

i just returned from NYC taking his maha sadhana class with him. it's a 3 hour class given once a month. it's most excellent. my husband went with me and we visited this one friend of mine who lives in brooklyn. we had a blast.

the practice was awesome and i 'achieved' three poses that i've been working on but not been able to hold for more than a few moments:

1. crescent lunge (also called anjenayasana II) with the arms reaching back and grabbing the foot, then striving to bring the foot back to the floor--I was able to get my foot to the floor and hold for 3 long breaths;

2. forearm balance (also called peacock feather pose or pincha mayurasana)--i've been working on this one for a number of years, unable to find the balance without the support of a wall. but, he gave a cue that really seemed to work for me, and so i found it;

3. sirsasana 5 (headstand 5--i think it's 5) anyway, no hands, just head. I was able to hold it for two breaths!

so, that was quite an accomplishment for me.

the class ws really, really enjoyable. i recommend his classes to anyone who lives in or around NYC.
#22 Old 02-09-2007, 02:58 PM

I just took my very first yoga class today after years of working out with books and dvds. I was astonished at how difficult it was! When the class ended, every muscle in my body was trembling, and my head was full of new information! I would definitely recommend taking at least a few classes to supplement the dvds! I'm going to continue taking one class a week in addition to hitting the mat at home for strength, flexibility, and stress relief.
#23 Old 02-23-2007, 09:37 PM

Why do I do yoga? I actually don't do yoga. Although I did try it a few weeks ago. A hatha yoga class.

Justin
#24 Old 02-23-2007, 09:40 PM

what the benefit of yoga?
#25 Old 02-24-2007, 04:12 AM
Beginner

I started doing yoga at home about 6 weeks ago. I ordered two of the Yoga Zone Beginner DVD's. I love how my body feels after, I do them about 6 days a week right when I get up. I will start a class 1-2 days per week next month. And I also just ordered 5 new DVD's! Cant wait!!

I really think yoga is good for at home exercise, with the right DVDs and as others here mentioned, taking a few classes for correct form.

My body feels so different just after 6 weeks. The flexibility is amazing and I cant wait to learn more and start more challenging DVD's!

Its also helping stretch me out more after cardio & weight lifting which I do in the evenings.
#26 Old 03-12-2007, 01:35 AM

I need to start doing Yoga
#27 Old 03-13-2007, 04:00 AM
Beginner

Can yoga be toning? or does it only improve flexibility in terms of physical fitness?
#28 Old 03-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

the benefits of yoga are many.

the physical benefits of yoga includes, but is not limited to:

muscle balance (strength and flexibility--it is weight bearing exercise);

hormonal balance (including balancing stress hormones);

increased cardio-vascular endurance (increased lung capacity and a stronger heart).

essentially, yes, yoga is "toning" (even though "toning" doesn't exist). it is weight bearing exercise, so it will increase strength--and with that some muscle mass (according to your muscle shape, etc), and it will also improve flexibility, agility, endurance, and balance.
#29 Old 03-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Beginner

I started yoga for my scoliosis, but I've also noticed that (mostly because of my meditations) I've been calmer and my anxiety has lessened. I take classes, mainly because whenever I use the DVDs I get bored and turn it off.
#30 Old 03-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

starblossom, where is your back pain located? I have chronic low back pain and I've been thinking of taking up yoga for this and other reasons.

Just thought I'd put a thought in here about the back pain. I was suffering really bad from low back pain and pain in my neck a few months back and yoga wasn't helping. It didn't matter which moves I did. So I finally went to see a chiropractor and am so glad I did. I have subluxations (where the vertebrae get out of line) and if I let it go too long without treatment it would be permanent. So I'm just suggesting if your pain sticks around too long that maybe it should be checked out.

ps I'm feeling much better now :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page