Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know a good vegan or even vegetarian alternative? I have joint issues and want to take something like this to help keep my joints strong. I know Flax Seed Oil can help with this too, but I want to try something like Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate. Here is what I found about it, looks like it is taken from animals: glucosamine from crab, lobster or shrimp shells; and chondroitin sulfate from animal cartilage. I would rather not go this route as I don't want to be harming animals, but at the same time Flax Seed Oil isn't helping much. My knee flares up alot (I am very active) and I stop when it happens, but I would like my knees to just be stronger in general. I also have shoulder issues (tendonitis and inflammation of the biceps tendon) and have had this for about 4 years now. The doc said this should have gone away within a few years, but lucky me it hasn't. I already went in for an MRI, no tears or anything...just weak joints I am thinking. Any input on this?

Here is the link on where Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate comes from and what it does:

http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/...lucosamine.asp

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi:

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you?

I thought when I was looking through their joint supplements, that there is one that does not contain shellfish.

But sorry I don't have much else.
#3 Old 09-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I recommend this. I took it for a month and it helped me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-06-2006, 03:31 PM

You can get vegetarian Glucosamine from GNC. AFAIK, there is no vegan (or vegetarian) variety of Chondroitin.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 09-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I recommend this. I took it for a month and it helped me.

Wow, that is awesome! A vegetarian vitamin site! Thanks for all of the input. I think I am going to up my flax oil intake, get some of those glucosamine tablets (thanks Tesseract!) and see what happens. For now I will rest my knee until the inflammation goes away and I can get those tablets ordered!

Thanks for all the suggestions!
#6 Old 09-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I really feel for you. I had a very badly broken leg (a comminueted tibia/fibula fracture) with extensive cartalage and soft tissue damage nearly a year and a half ago. The Glucosamine, chondroiten and msm I took helped with the healing quite a bit. It seems that both Glucosamine and Chondroiten seem to do similar things. I took MSM by itself for a while. Here is another link to the vegetarian glucosamine. This might be cheaper. It started as a pet medication.

http://www.countrysidepet.com/prod.itml/icOid/2139
#7 Old 09-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

I really feel for you. I had a very badly broken leg (a comminueted tibia/fibula fracture) with extensive cartalage and soft tissue damage nearly a year and a half ago. The Glucosamine, chondroiten and msm I took helped with the healing quite a bit. It seems that both Glucosamine and Chondroiten seem to do similar things. I took MSM by itself for a while. Here is another link to the vegetarian glucosamine. This might be cheaper. It started as a pet medication.

http://www.countrysidepet.com/prod.itml/icOid/2139

Hi Gita!

Thanks for the input. Is this what you took? It still looks like it is for pets, just want to make sure it is safe for human consumption. Does the dosage need to be changed for the size of the pet or a human?

Thanks!
#8 Old 06-15-2018, 12:48 PM

I found a new vegan condroitin sulphate called mythocondro by gnosis. It is in a Jarrow product called Vegan glucosamine and condroitin sulphate. I've been looking for a vegan product for a long time. Just found it.
Any animal product, even egg derived, is usually from animals fed gmos and glyphosate. Glyphosate has been found to make joints weaker as it substitutes for glycine molecule. See research by Samsel and Seneff.
#9 Old 06-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiikster View Post
I found a new vegan condroitin sulphate called mythocondro by gnosis. It is in a Jarrow product called Vegan glucosamine and condroitin sulphate. I've been looking for a vegan product for a long time. Just found it.
Any animal product, even egg derived, is usually from animals fed gmos and glyphosate. Glyphosate has been found to make joints weaker as it substitutes for glycine molecule. See research by Samsel and Seneff.

Pretty cool! The vegan chondroitin sulfate is produced from polysaccharides derived from food-grade bacteria: http://www.mythocondro.com/fermentat...production.php

According to the Arthritis Foundation, peer-reviewed studies and clinical trials of chondroitin sulfate show inconsistent results: https://www.arthritis.org/living-wit...in-sulfate.php

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#10 Old 06-25-2018, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, experts disagree about whether or not it does anything for you.

I know you can get vegan glucosomine from veganessentials.com

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#11 Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 AM

Holland and Barrett do a vegetarian and vegan version!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page