Running with weights - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-11-2006, 11:59 PM

I've been running 6-7 miles 5 days a week for awhile now. I was wondering if adding weights would help me gain some muscle mass. I really don't like working out at the gym, but I enjoy running. Anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2006, 04:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I going to jump on your bandwagon and say, I would like to know this as well!
#3 Old 06-12-2006, 08:03 AM

running with hand weights is generally not recommended unless you enjoy joint pain in your wrists, elbows and shoulders.

some people hike and walk in weighted vests to increase muscle in their legs, but if you want your arms to tone up you have to weight train.

one or 2 exersizes per muscle group 2 x a week will show a increase in muscle mass, so you don't need to do a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

running with hand weights is generally not recommended unless you enjoy joint pain in your wrists, elbows and shoulders.

some people hike and walk in weighted vests to increase muscle in their legs, but if you want your arms to tone up you have to weight train.

one or 2 exersizes per muscle group 2 x a week will show a increase in muscle mass, so you don't need to do a lot.

it would get old carrying weights too and they really don't do a lot for your arms.

if one did not want to invest in a weighted vest a day pack with weights works as well.

many variations on pushups, as wells as pullups and some dips work well for arm and shoulder tone.
#5 Old 06-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried running with ankle weights once, and ended up seriously aggravating my shin splint problem. My physical therapist told me that weights are not really necessary if you are a runner, since it is an endurance exercise. Some light weights to stay toned is fine, but I find that swimming is all I need to keep my upper body strong and toned.
#6 Old 06-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azygous View Post

I've been running 6-7 miles 5 days a week for awhile now. I was wondering if adding weights would help me gain some muscle mass. I really don't like working out at the gym, but I enjoy running. Anyone have any experience with this?

30 to 35 MPW is heckuva lot more than my aging joints could ever take (long-term). I agree with the post above - trying to use running to gain muscle mass is a mis-use of this form of exercise, which is for endurance. Good luck!
#7 Old 06-12-2006, 09:47 AM

When I was an athlete (3 years ago, before the injuries) I was trying running with ankle-weights. My trainer told me to stop, but I didn't because I felt pain and I thought my muscles are growing... it wasn't the growing muscles... It ended with 2 injuries in the same ankle (a seriously twisted ankle and almost torn muscle in the Achile's two months after recovering from the twisted ankle)... Now I understand that I pressed the joint and the muscle too much and caused those injuries.
#8 Old 06-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

if you'd like, go to the gym twice a week for 20-30 minutes and lift weights separately.

try this routine: leg press, bench press, and row on day 1; overhead press, pull downs (or chin ups, using chin up form on pull downs if you do that), and weighted abdominal exercises (crunches with a weight on your chest, weighted side bends) on day 2.

i did this routine for a month and i leaned out really fast and got great muscle shape. it's an easy, fun routine too. Oh, i do two sets of ten for each exercise.
#9 Old 06-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Any exercise you can keep doing for 6-7 miles is not intense enough for most efficient muscle mass gain. High load (and therefore short duration) work is what best stimulates muscle fibers.

Is there any activity you do enjoy (or at least, not mind too much) that involves high load resistances? Rock climbing, for example?
#10 Old 06-25-2006, 09:46 PM

Running with weights is kinda like running with boots , almost every time you feel like it. You do run faster....feels like flying !
#11 Old 06-26-2006, 08:10 AM

I run with very light ankle weights when I train, and then I take them off for races. It probably won't help you gain any muscle mass; you'd need a lot of weight for that and then you'd probably just injure yourself.

Just buy some cheap weights and do bicep curls and dips a few times a week at home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page