Kundalini Yoga Anyone? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi guys,

I do yoga, mainly hatha, vinyasa, ashtanga... I never tried Kundalini before. I'm curious as I went to amazon.com and saw great reviews for the Kundalini yoga DVD's from Ana Brett.... I think it's called Fat Free Yoga...

Has any of you tried this kind of yoga? is it really different?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a fan. It's too fast.
#3 Old 04-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

What do you mean by fast? the poses are done faster... thye don't hold the poses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not very good at describing things.. but for an example..

There's a pose where you'd sit on the floor and kind of hunch forward then arch back.. over and over.

It's been quite a while since I've tried it.. I mostly remember that it wasn't as pleasant as hatha yoga.
#5 Old 04-24-2006, 11:12 PM

I have the Ana/Ravi AM & PM Yoga DVD. I really like it. It's pretty intense, as the breathing exercises and poses are demanding and continuous (fast, repetitive arm/leg/various movements in a couple minute bursts). I hope that makes sense.

I'd recommend that one or the Kundalini for Beginners.
#6 Old 04-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for replying.... well I'm gonna get it, I'm curiuos to try some new yoga
#7 Old 04-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

kundalini yoga is a fast form of yoga using quick, kinetic movements and breathing techniques to move kundalini energy through the body. it comes from a different religious and historical prespective than other forms of hatha yoga--it comes out of the sikh traditions, rather than the hindu/jain traditions.

i did a workshop with them recently. it was fine. i did ask her why she called her video 'fat free yoga' as i found it offensive on many levels. we had a decent discussion about it, and she admitted it was mostly a marketing ploy--and it has worked. fat free yoga has made a name for her, allowing her more job opportunities.

overall, though, the practice was traditional kundalini as far as i can tell. kundalini yoga is not my favorite form to practice--i prefer krishnamycharya lineage of iyengar and astanga, and i practice and teach free form vinyasa.
#8 Old 04-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I am a certified Kundalini Yoga Instructor; I trained with Guru Rattana and loved it immensely. It *is* a very active form of yoga, complemented by mantras, chanting and conscious meditation as an improtant part of the process with the intent of activating and raising Kundalini energy.

It is a very intense and powerful ancient practice and I encourage you to look in to it further. This is my Teacher's website with lots of free information (including some amazing astrological insights) and guidance. www.yogatech.com

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#9 Old 04-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Beginner

I have the Kundalini DVD from Gaiam with Gurmukh. I really like it, it's a nice change from the regular hatha yoga I do.
#10 Old 04-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

That Gurmukh video is intense! I trained with Gurmukh in New York at The Omega Institute for a couple of weeks. She really kicked my @$$

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#11 Old 04-29-2006, 09:05 PM

What is the Maha-Mantra?

Before we understand why we should chant "Hare Krishna," we should probably know what it is that we are chanting.

The maha-mantra is actually two things. First, it is a prayer. We are praying to God and to the energy of God to engage us in devotional service. Basically, to help us reconnect to the spiritual and disconnect from the material. Secondly, it is made up of three names of God.

The word "Hara" is the form of addressing the energy of the Lord, and the words "Krishna" and "Rama" are forms of addressing the Lord Himself. Both "Krishna" and "Rama" mean "the supreme pleasure," and "Hara" is the supreme pleasure energy of the Lord, changed to Hare in the vocative. The supreme pleasure energy of the Lord helps us to reach the Lord.

-Srila Prabhupada

The maha-mantra is coming from the spiritual platform. Since a spiritual consciousness is higher than a material consciousness, it transcends the sensual, mental and intellectual. Spirit is beyond all of this. The Hare Krishna maha-mantra is our direct connection to reviving our spiritual consciousness. Otherwise, we will just continue in this cycle of pretend happiness, never knowing that we not only deserve so much better than this, but are eternally so much more than this matter, this illusion.

We are spirit, we need a spiritual solution to our problem of materialism. The Hare Krishna maha-mantra is that solution.

No other means of spiritual realization is as effective in this age of quarrel and hypocrisy as the chanting of the maha-mantra:

Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna,

Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare,

Hare Rama, Hare Rama,

Rama Rama, Hare Hare.

These words are different from material words. While material words represent things, the names of God are God. Since God is absolute, He is nondifferent from His names. When you chant "Krishna," that sound vibration is Krishna, God. If this were not so, God would not be absolute, and thus not God. So by very definition, this chanting is God. When you chant, you are associating with God. It's that simple.
#12 Old 05-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Gurmukh is seriously intense. I accidently happened on a workshop with her in NYC that was a 4 hour deal. I happened to get in 'last minute' which was a great blessing. As a person, i really like her. As an asana yoga class, it's not my bag of beans. but it might be in the future. the pranayama, though, was awesome.
#13 Old 05-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm very curiuos about this type of yoga. I think I tried to do Gurmukh tape once and I didn't pass 10 min. I found it too different from hatha yoga.. but hey, I'm more open now, and I actually want to try it again... I sold the tape though... I'm gonna get the Ana Bret workout.... and I'll let you know!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page