Exercise + Eating. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

So... I want to start biking about town... But I know I'll need a lot of fuel. When should I eat up? An hour before a long bike? A light snack before and a meal after?

What works for you more seasoned exercise buffs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't recommend eating a hour before a long bike, because from my experience, that usually makes me feel somewhat sick.

If I were you, I'd just try to eat a little more in generally. Don't so much worry about it at any certain time, but make sure that you have a nice recovery meal with plenty of carbs and protein, of course. That should do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

So... I want to start biking about town... But I know I'll need a lot of fuel. When should I eat up? An hour before a long bike? A light snack before and a meal after?

What works for you more seasoned exercise buffs?

#3 Old 03-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Rainbow is right. There are people who say that eating 2-3 hours before a ride will help, but that only really applies to racing. Whatever you eat (make sure you get a lot more carbs now) will be stored in your muscles until you burn it riding. When I race I ALWAYS have a Clif bar before my time is up, but again...that is racing. Oh, and if you are going to ride more than 30 minutes..bring water. More than 40 minutes...bring a sports drink (or water with a pinch of salt). More than 1 hour..bring the ladder and something with 20g or more carbs (Luna..Cliff..Doughnut).

Riding = love.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Since you said a long ride I'd disagree with the two above posters. If I went for a long ride without food I'd start feeling faint. You can definately go for longer and faster if you eat a decent meal an hour or so before you go.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 03-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I agree with Rainbow and Doshkel about eating more in general, but I'm with Kiz too. You want to eat a bit more in general and also have food on you. I used to bike 24 miles a day (to school and back, a rolling hill route - wish I was still in such good shape!), and I really needed both a sports drink and plenty of food on me. I think I ate about once an hour during that time, stuff like peanut butter sandwiches, clif bars, fruit, etc. So I'd bike the 12 miles in, eat when I got to school and eat pretty much on the hour during school, get back on the bike and go home and have a snack sometime during that ride too. (This was also in summer, and the sports drink gets REALLY important then.) Good luck - biking is a GREAT method of transportation! Environmentally friendly, cheap AND good for you!
#6 Old 03-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

You definetly want to have something that will sustain you..like a protein/carb combo. Pb on toast,banana and pb...something along those lines. Bananas also prevent crampage too.
#7 Old 03-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

for racing my bf and friends will eat a big meal a couple hours before, lots of carbs and protein sorta thing, and then right before they go out for a lap they'll have a protein/energy bar. they all pretty well agree you can't go out on a full stomach cause it bounces around in there and makes you throw up, but going on an empty stomach is almost as bad cause your stomach acid bounces around on its own and causes heartburn. so best of both worlds eat a big meal well enough in advance that you're not still full when you go but make sure you have a little bit of food in there.

i know you're not racing but i think the rules apply in any case

and if you're going for a long time keep a clif bar or something on you. the worse drink you can bring is gatorade, i don't know why but the racers all avoid gatorade like the plague, best thing is just water, or if you're really doing an endurance thing pick up some e-load powder and mix some into your water, it replaces electrolites, or else bring koolaid with a pinch of salt mixed in it'll do the same job

foodwise, equal portions carbs and protein, nothing heavy or greasy, whole wheat everything

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#8 Old 03-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Take a look at http://www.veganfitness.net There's a lot of good info there about what to eat so you have enough to burn. Good folks there, too.

I ride a hilly 10 miles RT to work most days (when the weather's nice), and I also do better when I eat every couple hours during the day, rather than stuffing myself an hour before I take off. I usually eat 2 small breakfasts, 2-3 small lunches, dinner, and a snack at night. I need to eat about an hour before I leave the office, or else I get hungry-shakey and can't concentrate on the 100 things I need to to get home safe. So, I also agree it's better to eat small amounts all through the day.
#9 Old 03-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

hey you sound like a friend of ours (a mountain biker) he eats all day and his bodyfat is so low that if he goes a couple hours without food he gets shaky and cold etc. he packs a lunch to go grocery shopping (i'm dead serious) and pretty much any time he leaves the house for any length of time.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#10 Old 04-04-2005, 09:15 AM

My Last Ultra Endurance Race In France Was 1243km. I Was Snacking On The Start Line! I Finished First Australian And In 51hours :30 Minutes With 40 Minutes Sleep. 100% Fruit And Water. No Caffiene Or Pussy Pills. Im An Athlete, I Dont Take Chemicals To Pedal My Bike Up A Hill! Or To Run A Marathon. I Eat Raw Vegan When I Want The Best From My Body.no Power Bar Gonna Come Close To Wild Grapes Or Figs. No Peice Of Dead Animal More Powerful Than A Handful Of Almonds. Raw Food = Raw Electric Energy, Cooked Food = Cooked Energy. If I Have A 10km Run Race, 1 Banana 1 Hour Before The Start. A Marathon 500grams Of Dates 2 Hours Before The Start And A Lot The Day Before. Ive Done A Marathon 9 Hours After Coming 2nd In A 24 Hour Mountain Bike Race. I Came Second In The South Australin 12 Hour Solo Mountain Bike Champs On 5 Oranges For Breakfast And Then 2 More In The Race And 1 Tomato Plus 11 Litres Of Water. No Drugs. Thats 2 Oranges And A Tomato For A 12 Hour Race! Thats Economy! It Was A Real Hot Day. People Fainting And Stuff. I Trusted In Raw Vegan To Get The Results I Desired. I Train Up To 50 Hours A Week Plus 30 Hours Of Physical Labour On Top Of That. I Can Smash Through 40 Kilos Of Bananas In A Week Or I Can Fast For Days. Body Fat Is 5%, 64 Kilo And 183cm. Vo2 Max 77.9 Ml Pkg, The Cleaner I Become Inside From Raw Veganism The Better Fuel Economy. I Use A Bike For Everything. Here Goes My Ego, But Has Anyone Heard Of Someone As Fit And Active As Me Without The Use Of Drugs? And I Train With Olympic Athletes, So I Know All About How Rife Drugs Are At The Top. You Want The Best Health And Fitness, Go Raw Positive Vegan. You Want Fame , False Glory Pick Up Ya Needle And Dead Animal Pus Shake And Go Stand In The Spotlight. Through Your Protein Ratio Crap Over The Cliff, Pick Up Some Fruit And Pick Up The Pace. Lifes Short!!!
#11 Old 04-07-2005, 05:31 PM

I eat a 200 to 300 calorie snack that's mostly carbs before exercising. It seems to give me enough of an energy boost without weighing me down.
#12 Old 04-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

::bump:: It's summer! (I swear Maryland does not have "spring." We have autumn, but no spring.)

Going to hop on the bike today! Expect mad ravings in the exercise forum from me. "My thigh muscles hurt! Make it stop!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page