jogging..lung pain afterwards - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By APhilosophicalGent

#1 Old 08-20-2004, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

i just started jogging..i ran a mile yesterday..and a mile today..

i feel ok for the most part..the last bit gets tiring but i assume its just because im out of shape..well anyway..

about 5 minutes after i finish..my lungs begin to hurt really bad ..i smoked cigarettes pretty heavily for like 5 years..but i quit two years ago....

i was wondering if anyone knew any way to reduce this or if i just have to keep running and somehow it will go away..it just burns really bad and feels like someone shot me in the lungs.. are there any breathing methods i can try while running etc??

one more question..is a mile good enough to stick to or should i increase gradually? i just want to be healthier..not looking to run a marathon

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2004, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I just recently started running again, too! Today was day number 3 for me.

I can't speak with absolute certainty, but I would assume that smoking in your past is what is making your lungs hurt, presently. I smoked for about a year and just quit the day that I started running again because my first day running was absolute hell (the pain in my lungs was rediculous- I could hardly make it half of mile).

Mind you, I used to be able to run 5 miles on a normal day and 7 or 8 on a good day (this was about 2 1/2 years ago before I was smoking), so running so little made me feel like a total failure.

I would suggest continuing with what you're doing. Also, push yourself. Add a few yards every time you run. This will allow you to increase your run very gradually- if you run exactly one mile every day then your body will get so used to it that it won't even be a challenge anymore. Try to add to it slowly, over time!
#3 Old 08-20-2004, 07:46 AM

Schu,

I would recommend a visit to http://www.coolrunning.com/ Check out their Community tab. There's a lot of good basic info that would be helpful to a someone just getting into running.

I'm not sure about the burning sensation, but anyone starting up cardio activity can expect your lungs to get a workout too. My lungs get sore and tired like my muscles after a hard run or when i return to running after taking time off.

I too was a smoker, but i tossed my camel lights 3 years ago and bought a new pair of running shoes. Boy, am I glad I did. Just did my first half marathon this year. The best advice that I could give to a new runner is get the right shoes to prevent all those little pangs that most runners complain about and very important -->> start out slowly. Your joints, bones, muscles, and lungs need time to adjust to your new activity. don't go for distance in the beginning. Just tell yourself you are going out for 15 minutes... and if you have to walk.. well, walk. Then start up again when your heart rate goes down. After a while you won't have to walk anymore. Your body will be strong enough and in shape. Just give it time.

Good luck. I'm glad you ventured into the running world. It's a great place to be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-20-2004, 07:54 AM
Banned

What do you mean by "lung pain?"
#5 Old 08-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Definitely breathe deeply after you run when it hurts. Short shallow breaths won't make anything better...keep breathing deeply in and out and it should feel a little bit better
#6 Old 08-21-2004, 05:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

What do you mean by "lung pain?"

it just feels like someone shoots me in the lungs at the end of a mile jog...i guess it must just be my beat up lungs/out of shapeness
#7 Old 09-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

was the air cold outside?
#8 Old 09-23-2004, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

If it persists, I'd go see a doctor. There is a possibility that something might be wrong.
#9 Old 09-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Baby Love

I used to get sharp cramp like pains under my rib cage, when I ran. There are three things I found to alleviate the problem:

1) Stay hydrated! Just don't drink a lot right before the run.

2) Don't eat a large meal just before running. Besides the sloshing around of food, it always feels like my body is using most of its energy and bloodflow to digest, rather than run.

3) Don't push yourself, but keep trying. I used to run for a few minutes with the pain. It usually stopped so I could continue running. When it didn't I decided to do a fast paced walk instead. Now, I can run 3-6 miles without crampage
#10 Old 09-28-2004, 02:34 PM

I would if it continues go see a Dr. It could be a sign of Pulmonary Embolism. Then again it might be nothing....I just worry a lot bout PE's myself and that sounds like some symptoms of one...
#11 Old 10-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu View Post

it just feels like someone shoots me in the lungs at the end of a mile jog...i guess it must just be my beat up lungs/out of shapeness

Right after I quit smoking (a little over a year ago now) I started to run and my lungs hurt like crazy too. My chest would get very tight-feeling, and my lungs would hurt. It gradually got better as my lungs healed up and now I don't have this experience at all anymore.

Hopefully in time this will be your experience too, Schu.

Jinga's advice is good advice too.

#12 Old 10-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I still get lung pain from time to time when I run. X-smoker ay, I was too when I started running and yes, that will cause some pain. Also, like ebola mentioned, if it's cold out then yup, ouch this can cause lung pain. I think what Jinga brought up sounds more like a side stitch (not really anything to do with the lungs)...very painful though, and her recommendations are the best advice for them.

To help your pain I would agree with what annabanana said, breathe deep after your run; take slow and deep as you can breaths after your run...even if it hurts. Think of it as stretching your lungs.

You can do it schukeep it up!
#13 Old 10-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I figured I would post on this thread instead of starting a new one...I usually run for about 4 miles at a time. I ran Friday night and ever since my abs have felt really sore, almost like I've been doing sit-ups! Is this normal? It feels sore when I take a deep breath.

Also, how can you avoid blisters? I keep getting the same one on my foot after I run, is there something I can do (extra socks, band-aid, etc) to keep that part of my foot from rubbing against my shoe so much?
#14 Old 10-11-2004, 04:05 PM

just start your jogging slowly, then gradually try to go faster and faster.
#15 Old 10-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Banned

Also, how can you avoid blisters? I keep getting the same one on my foot after I run, is there something I can do (extra socks, band-aid, etc) to keep that part of my foot from rubbing against my shoe so much?[/QUOTE]

When I went to a pro running shop to get fitted for new shoes, the guy there told me that just about every single person who starts running buys shoes that are too small for running in. I ended up buying a 1/2 size bigger than I normally wear and my feet are so much more comfortable! Your feet swell after you've been running for a while - so having some room in the shoes is a good plan. This might not solve the blister, mind you, but it *is* a good tip.
#16 Old 10-11-2004, 04:23 PM

maybe buy a stretchable material so it can "form" to your feet. Eventually shoes will stretch to form around your feet
#17 Old 10-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, buy your running shoes a 1/2 size bigger. The socks you wear can also make a difference, I wear Goldtoe they have made all the difference...no more blisters for me.

WufDeac, the ab pain I'm not sure about? Never had that...it doesn't sound normal...did you pull something?
#18 Old 10-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Beginner

Hmm...back to the lung pain- yeah I do kinda think it is unusual per se. Have you been screened by a doc before starting on this program?

I know I got side and neck stitches when I first started running. I even had a pressure like sensation in my left chest area. But I have never had trouble breathing. Of course, then, neither am I an ex-smoker.

Get it checked into...
#19 Old 01-25-2018, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksahyv View Post
I have wide feet and it is always difficult to find shoes that are comfortable, especially when buying them over the internet. Fortunately, these fit the bill quite well from the first wearing when I put them on and breathed a sigh of relief. Nice to know Orthofeet a shoe company I can depend on for future purchases.
LOL. Gotta be spam! Out of boredom I checked the site - leather shoes!
silva likes this.
#20 Old 02-17-2018, 03:03 AM

i love this webside,all information useful for me,and 1 suggetion for jogging lung pain afterwards Relax while you run and start your routine somewhat slower than your steady pace.
#21 Old 02-17-2018, 10:20 AM

good luck, it'll get better with more training!
#22 Old 07-27-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu View Post
i just started jogging..i ran a mile yesterday..and a mile today..

i feel ok for the most part..the last bit gets tiring but i assume its just because im out of shape..well anyway..

about 5 minutes after i finish..my lungs begin to hurt really bad ..i smoked cigarettes pretty heavily for like 5 years..but i quit two years ago....

i was wondering if anyone knew any way to reduce this or if i just have to keep running and somehow it will go away..it just burns really bad and feels like someone shot me in the lungs.. are there any breathing methods i can try while running etc??

one more question..is a mile good enough to stick to or should i increase gradually? i just want to be healthier..not looking to run a marathon

thanks
I feel goods when some quit bad habits and start to regain his / her fitness
as for jogging
As you already told that you smoked for around 5 years
so following are the things to concern
first, don't give too much of stress to your body
start with normal jogging of 400 meters or by the minute (3-4)
then increase it gradually
and inhale air with your nose, keep your mouth close
and while jogging don't chew any gum
you can also practice sprint running or 100m or 200m race
and don't worry it will little time to be an expert runner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page