4Likes
  • 1 Post By Go Vegan
  • 1 Post By Go Vegan
  • 1 Post By BiteSizeVegan
  • 1 Post By BiteSizeVegan

#1 Old 06-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Retaining Muscle and Strength on a Vegan Diet

hey guys…thought i'd share this. i went about 7 months without doing anything physically….not really intentionally, had extenuating circumstances. but it did allow me to do an interesting "experiment" of sorts and see how i performed at the gym after a long period of inactivity.

i often hear people saying that you can't build muscle or strength on a vegan diet. so i thought "lets see." so after 7 months of not really moving my a** but eating vegan, here were the results:

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2014, 09:45 PM

Well done, however after only a matter of weeks without training, your muscles will start to waste, it's just natures way of conserving energy. But that said I'm impressed with your leg work for a little 'un.
#3 Old 07-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippywarlock View Post
Well done, however after only a matter of weeks without training, your muscles will start to waste, it's just natures way of conserving energy. But that said I'm impressed with your leg work for a little 'un.
thanks Hippywarlock. and i'm aware of that fact…which is why i was surprised at how much i had retained

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippywarlock View Post
Yeah, muscle will atrophy to meet current demands pretty quickly regardless of what you eat. You'd have to measure actual muscle mass to see how much you've lost.

As for as vegans wasting away, I don't know, there seems to be a bit too many rail thin vegans for it to be a coincidence but there are also some that aren't so its likely to do with individual choices rather than the diet as a whole.

Last edited by logic; 07-05-2014 at 09:59 AM.
#5 Old 01-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Vegan as f**k

As a vegan you have a great opportunity to get a toned/ hard body...

But beware vegan junk food lol!
BiteSizeVegan likes this.

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#6 Old 01-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Beginner

A bit off topic, but in the ball park.

I once went six months without any cardio or weight training, but I did some mild yoga postures every day and a good bit of pranayama, easy yoga breathing exercises.

I took the RCAF cardio test of how long it takes you to walk/run a mile. I didn't strain. It was easy and fun.

To my surprise the book said that my results showed I was at the level of a trained athlete, and should not take any of their regimens, as what I was doing could not be improved on!

I was vegetarian at the time (still am).
#7 Old 01-10-2015, 01:46 AM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
To my surprise the book said that my results showed I was at the level of a trained athlete, and should not take any of their regimens, as what I was doing could not be improved on!
Awesome! Living proof of how healthy veggie diets can be
veggie man likes this.
#8 Old 01-10-2015, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
A bit off topic, but in the ball park.

I once went six months without any cardio or weight training, but I did some mild yoga postures every day and a good bit of pranayama, easy yoga breathing exercises.

I took the RCAF cardio test of how long it takes you to walk/run a mile. I didn't strain. It was easy and fun.

I was vegetarian at the time (still am).
wow that's a pretty powerful testament!
veggie man likes this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#9 Old 01-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Great video and very impressive what you could do after 7 months of doing nothing! Showing the "malnourished vegan" athletes at the end was a brilliant idea.
#10 Old 01-10-2015, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
Great video and very impressive what you could do after 7 months of doing nothing! Showing the "malnourished vegan" athletes at the end was a brilliant idea.
thanks so glad you liked it! and yes, they are quite stark, those vegans!
veggie man likes this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#11 Old 01-12-2015, 11:31 PM

Just curious about something related to vegan diet. I went vegan 1 week ago while going vegetarian 5 weeks ago. How fast would i get rid of belly fat and gain muscles while maintaining the vegan diet and going to the gym 4-5 times a week?
#12 Old 01-13-2015, 01:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Roland View Post
Just curious about something related to vegan diet. I went vegan 1 week ago while going vegetarian 5 weeks ago. How fast would i get rid of belly fat and gain muscles while maintaining the vegan diet and going to the gym 4-5 times a week?
It's really difficult to gain muscle mass while losing fat because one requires caloric surplus and the latter requires caloric deficit.

If you're relatively small, eat a 500 calorie surplus for 6 months (you should gain about a pound a week). During this time you will put on fat and muscle provided you lift weights. Then eat at a 300-500 calorie deficit until you're as lean as you want to be.

If you're a rather large person, eat at a deficit first until you're about average size, then bulk and cut as described above.

You can't burn belly fat specifically unless you take certain questionable supplements because your body burns fat from everywhere when you exercise.

Going vegan or vegetarian doesn't really affect body composition if you're still hitting the same macros as an omni.
#13 Old 01-13-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPill View Post
It's really difficult to gain muscle mass while losing fat because one requires caloric surplus and the latter requires caloric deficit.

If you're relatively small, eat a 500 calorie surplus for 6 months (you should gain about a pound a week). During this time you will put on fat and muscle provided you lift weights. Then eat at a 300-500 calorie deficit until you're as lean as you want to be.

If you're a rather large person, eat at a deficit first until you're about average size, then bulk and cut as described above.

You can't burn belly fat specifically unless you take certain questionable supplements because your body burns fat from everywhere when you exercise.

Going vegan or vegetarian doesn't really affect body composition if you're still hitting the same macros as an omni.
Understandable. I'm 18 and currently weighting 72 kgs . Before i went vegetarian 1 month ago i had 74 kgs. So i'm pretty happy about losing weight! I'm not actually small and not actually large either. My body looks really good,but the belly fat is making girls turn away hahaha .
#14 Old 01-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Understandable. I'm 18 and currently weighting 72 kgs . Before i went vegetarian 1 month ago i had 74 kgs. So i'm pretty happy about losing weight! I'm not actually small and not actually large either. My body looks really good,but the belly fat is making girls turn away hahaha .
I was in a similar position when I started getting in shape.

When I first cut down to a low body fat % for the first time, I found I didn't have enough mass to have defined abs. So from there I bulked up (put on about 20kg) then cut back (lost 10kg). After that I was looking pretty juicy.
#15 Old 01-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
If you start off as an average weight (just not especially toned) your muscles should be reasonably well defined in 2-3 months I would think
#16 Old 01-14-2015, 07:11 AM

I see. Thanks ! Long live vegan body builders !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page