Long distance walking - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi all,

In two weeks time I am walking the West Highland Way with a friend - 96 miles over 6 days. We are camping along the way so carrying everything we need (I'm walking the dog and carrying my pack as training at the moment). Any tips from seasoned long distance walkers? What might I have forgotten to pack or what will be useful? I have a pretty long list already but you never know; I always find the experience of others counts. Food-wise we will be carrying snacks (vegan flapjacks, nuts and dried fruit for me) and hope to find some pubs on some evenings to load up on carbs. I figure I can't starve in a week and its Scotland, so there will always be chips :D

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM

Check the chips are cooked in rapeseed oil and not cooked in beef dripping like they are in and around York.  And that they are not cooked in a single fryer in a pub...  

I walked in April - supposed to be a nice spring walk but was in fact in deep snow along Teesdale and over to Cumbria... this time I took a couple of packs of Gourmet Merchant Lentils and Quinoa or another of that brand - microwave for 1 minute and serve or eat cold from the bag... many supermarkets sell it... I also like to take any kind of yuba I can get my hands on... Yuba.. is 50% protein... it's the skin that forms on boiling soya milk... highly nutritious.  The only form widely available in the UK is tinned as Marigold Braised Tofu - which isn't tofu... it's Tofu-pi (tofu skin) .. folded on itself many times.  It's a bit oily.. but somewhat tasty to eat from the tin... :-)

The main food that Fiona Oakes carried during the Marathon des Sables was almonds... 

Ah yes.. I carried Oat Germ and that made a good porridge just using water in the morning where breakfast wasn't available... 

My friend brings some onigiri... which is slightly vinegared sushi rice filled with a filling and made into a triangular block in the palm of a hand..  filling can be seaweed or umeboshi or pickles .. wrap some in cling film and/or nori seaweed, but they need to be eaten in the first day or two.   

#3 Old 05-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm yeah, I did wonder after posting that about the oil. A friend of mine had 'orange chips' in Edinburgh - battered chips fried in dripping, apparently thats pretty normal? (Eeew!)

Good call on the lentils, I've seen them everywhere but never tried them, same with the braised tofu. I like eating things cold so these sound ideal. Cheers :)

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-01-2013, 12:05 PM

Chinese takeaway chips are usually vegetable oil...

anyone like Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver - steer away from their chips..  and anything that says 'Traditional Fish and Chips' .. all beef dripping.

We are forced to ask.  There is no obligation for any retailer to advertise that they cook in beef dripping or rapeseed oil.  Unless they mark their chips as (V) vegetarian - then they must be vegetarian and not even cooked in the same fryer as meat/poultry products.

If you have a good local Chinese you might be able to pick up a few packs of spiced, flavoured tofu strips... the flavours vary a lot - but easy to carry...

#5 Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 AM

Long distance walking is necessary to do for maintaining our body?

#6 Old 06-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavita View Post

Long distance walking is necessary to do for maintaining our body?

Not quite sure what you mean? Walking is certainly a great workout but I'm doing this to really challenge my strength and endurance, to see some beautiful scenery and to spend some quality time with a good friend. Regular short walks will help to keep you fit, you don't have to do a 100 miles at a time :)

#7 Old 06-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, we made it! It was the hardest, most physically demanding thing I have ever done and it was fantastic.

We had incredible weather for the first few days - too hot for walking with such heavy loads really, but made the mountains and lochs all the more beautiful. It was also midge free at first, but they came out for the second half along with the rain and cloud. There were a few blisters and many aches in my back and feet but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again grin.gif Oh, and foodwise there was a lot more choice than I thought - most pubs either had a vegan option (sweet potato, spinach and coconut curry, vegetable fajitas, roasted veg and houmous wraps with tortilla chips)  or something that was easy to veganize; there were also a few shops in some of the villages to stock up on fruit, crackers and almond butter.

I got back last night and tried to go for a run today (got a half marathon next weekend) - the pain!!!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, it was greatly appreciated blush.gif

#8 Old 06-19-2013, 05:40 AM

Walking is the best way to keep our body fit and healthy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page