VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Physical Fitness (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/34-physical-fitness/)
-   -   Gym Vs Home workout (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/34-physical-fitness/139282-gym-vs-home-workout.html)

rosstaylor 02-04-2013 09:15 PM

hi folks,
I hate workout but now time has come i have to do this, bcoz my family doctors had suggested me to do some workout at home or join gym, i need to lose my body fats. I m already confused that what would be better for me playing with instruments in Gym or doing workout at home please advice me!huh.gif

beanspud 02-04-2013 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The laws of physics state that fat loss is achieved primarily through diet alone. Exercise is a much less efficient process for weight loss. That said, exercising does have marvelous health benefits.

Exercising at home can be just as effective as a gym, and might get you to be more consistent with a routine. Dumbbells would be a good investment in this case. If you continue to drink animal milk, you will want to make it the lowest fat kind. The basics of weight loss really is through what you put in your mouth.

River 02-05-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstaylor View Post

hi folks,
I hate workout but now time has come i have to do this, bcoz my family doctors had suggested me to do some workout at home or join gym, i need to lose my body fats. I m already confused that what would be better for me playing with instruments in Gym or doing workout at home please advice me!huh.gif

You can't out run a bad diet, but you also need to exercise for 45min a day, everyday. I personally prefer gyms because they have lots of equipment, helpful staff and often groul fitness classes that are lots of fun.

penny79 02-05-2013 08:55 AM

I use a gym and do at home workouts and practice a good diet.  It's a combination of many things and exercise is also good for mental health.

nomad888 02-05-2013 09:53 AM

Seconding what everyone else has already said.  Unless you're training 8 hours per day to be an olympic athlete, you're not going to exercise your way out of a bad diet.  Weight loss happens in the kitchen.  Fitness happens in the gym (or wherever you choose to work out).  That said, the discipline you gain from working out often reinforces the discipline needed to stick with your diet, so the two tend to go hand in hand.

Whether because I'm on the road, in the air, in a hotel room, or training in the mountains, I tend to not have much of a chance to get to the gym, so I prefer body weight workouts.  They'll never be as convenient for bodybuilding purposes, but if you're interested in functional fitness and the many other benefits of exercise, there's nothing you can get from the gym you can't get at home.  It's really just a matter of personal preference.

I have another thread on home workouts I started a while back.  If you take an interest, I highly recommend "Never Gymless" by Ross Enamait, or if you're willing to spend a little more money, "Overcoming Gravity" is a masterpiece.  Whether you want to be a gymnast or not, it covers body weight exercise and ring training more thoroughly than any other piece of literature I've seen.

Cato 02-05-2013 06:44 PM

Hi,

Like River said, gyms have a lot of equipment you will not find at home. I would recommend going to a gym. If you want to lose weight you should focus on jogging. If you are at a gym you can also do weights. It is unlikely that you will initially know what to do at the gym. Make sure you do some reading on the subject. You can also ask here and I will try to help (I am not an expert though.)

krispex22 02-06-2013 10:57 AM

if your just planning on doing cardio than at home would work just fine. you can jog outside or buy a tread mill. if you want to use equipment and are short on cash than the gym is obviously a better option. i personnally prefer the gym because once im there im in the zone and im not going to walk in and then turn around and leave right away. when i attempt to work out at home (doing work out videos) i get easily distracted and never finish the video. i do like jogging outside though because once your so far you dont have a choice but to turn around and come back, unlike on a treadmill where you can just turn it off.

like everyone else said you have to diet to. there are some good apps out there if you have a smart phone. i have one called my fitness pal. its really helpful.

BarefootKate 02-19-2013 12:05 PM

I hate the gym lol. I do love my crossfit box but that is not like a typical gym. I also love working out at home or at the state park. The possibilities are endless.

For home you can-

Do one of the trillions of free youtube workouts (bodyrocktv is great)

Make a sandbag and use that 

Kettlebells

DVDs-yoga, pilates

jump rope

Crossfit posts their WOD everyday and you can totally modify it

Run around your neighborhood or local trails

Shadow boxing

Traditional body weight exercises (push ups, pull ups, planks, squats, lunges, various crunches)

rosstaylor 02-27-2013 07:58 PM

Thanks a lot guys, for supporting this thread and posting advise . I had come to know is keep control over my intake of food and also manages to burn excessive calories that i gain daily , for that i have choose at least exercise for daily basis. and also find out some yoga steps also. smiley.gif

Elbert Claycomb 03-06-2013 10:39 PM

My simple suggestion is simple diet plan with home light workout.Its a better way to maintain ourself.In case of busy schedule its not easy to grab a time for Gym workout thats why I preffering simple diet plan+Work out.

arctica 03-07-2013 05:31 AM

I use this method http://www.marklauren.com/
I also add power walks and am going to taichi 2-3 times a week.
And of course I have a good diet

sigen92 03-08-2013 09:11 AM

I'm not trying to loose weight or anything like that, but I've recently fallen in love with running and I go running about 5-6 times a week now. Even though it's only been a couple of weeks, I can already see how my body has gotten more toned, especially the legs. As for diet, I just eat when I'm hungry. I'm not a snacker, so I have 3 rather big meals every day and nothing more. Just find what works for you!

planetshark 03-09-2013 05:00 AM

I voted for the gym, but as a fitness trainer I can tell you that working out as home is also very good. For your basic home gym, you need resistance bands, a stability ball, a medicine ball, and a set a respectable weight dumbbells (i.e. go for at least 10 lbs to obtain any real results - or buy one 10 lb. and one 20 lb.) ... From there, you can add on body-weight moves like push-ups, planks, walk-outs, mountain climbers, etc. then use your equipment to flesh out a full routine! :)

carrot.gif

xiii 03-09-2013 06:05 AM

Hi RossTaylor! Welcome to vb (:

Because your doctor suggested that you lessen your body fat percentage I am going 
to assume that running and working out manically are not something you're ready for.
It seems as though you're just starting to develop some kind of workout routine. In 
order to avoid injury I would not start off the block with running. Improper running form
is hard to detect for new runners and easily done. I would suggest starting to go for
nice walks and changing your diet. Cut out processed foods and start to eat more
naturally. If you find some fresh produce are outside your budget, buy its frozen 
counterpart. Frozen veggies are better than hot dogs no matter how you slice the
pie. Slowly increase the distance you're walking. Start out walking no more than 
three miles and walk at a good pace. Eventually if you feel like running you can
transition into running via intervals. Walking 2 minutes running 30 seconds and
repeating this process. For the time being I would also suggest purchasing some
light handweights. These can be used to do a plethora of exercises. Bicep curls,
side lunges, flyes, lateral raises, etc... 

Changing your diet is the most important step to shedding weight. Processed foods
encourage fat to cling to your body. They're not easily broken down. Changing your
diet will be difficult at first but after awhile you'll find yourself craving your new diet
foods. Instead of eating tastey cakes, eat some fresh fruit. Replace all white grain
products with brown or whole wheat products. And again, eat as many veggies
as you can. However make sure to eat your starchy vegetables (carrots, jicama, 
all kinds of potatoes, pumpkin, squashes, rutabagas, beets, parsnips, etc...) in
moderation. 

I would avoid buying fruit in cans. Berries are the best fruits for you nutrientwise
but are generally rather expensive, if you can't afford either fresh or frozen berries
that is okay. Fresh and frozen fruit are the way to go when purchasing fruits. The
canned versions generally have quite a bit of sugar added or corn syrup. If you
find yourself craving sweets, tried some dried fruits. They're very dessert-like. 

rosstaylor 03-11-2013 10:22 PM

Thanks a lot 'Xiii' ,
I like your suggestions about the starting with walking instead of running directly its safe and easy to follow and also thanking you for the dietary advice.

I would like to ask ' their is use of any medicine or treatment that peoples are using for the losing weight ??

Mathilda 09-23-2013 01:17 PM

As for working out at home or going to the gym, I do both. I work out in the gym at least once a week, plus I work out at home with different Jillian Michaels DVDs, and I go running.
This combination keeps things interesting for me.

Purp 09-23-2013 06:41 PM

I belong to a YMCA, which is nice, you can encourage other people, and other people can and will encourage you. The Y also has a personal trainer, dieticians, cooking classes, etc. I walk everywhere, and sometimes add some jogging in, too. You can do yoga to videos, too. Plus, the Y will already have the equipment, so you don't have to spend the money on it. :up:  Good luck with everything.

ElaineV 09-24-2013 11:27 AM

Agreed about weight loss. I workout regularly for my heart, my lungs, my muscles, and my bones. And it helps me look good (improved posture, tighter muscles) but it's not so great for weight loss. I need to lose 20 pounds and exercise is not going to make that happen.

Here's what I do and how I see it...

Most of my workouts are at a gym but I also walk the dogs, go for hikes and bike rides, and I have some exercise videos and weights at home that I use sometimes.

PROs and CONs of Home Workouts

+ Flexible schedule

+ Flexible pace

+ No worries about looking stupid

+ Need less stylish/clean clothing

+ Clean outdoor air if running/hiking

- Less motivating (to me)

- No daycare

- No trainers or instructors

- Dogs sometimes get riled up and in my way

- Not at all relaxing for stuff like yoga

PROs and CONs of Gym Workouts

+ Group fitness classes: Zumba, Kickboxing, Yoga, Body Pump, etc.

+ Lots of equipment that would be too expensive to have at home

+ Daycare

+ Defibrillator on the wall, people around who are trained in First Aid and CPR

+ More motivating (for me - I tend to push myself harder at the gym because people are watching)

+ Safer (for me - at home I'm more likely to do exercise videos without proper footwear, for example. Or use the weights wrong because I'm not watching myself in a mirror)

+ Trainers (I've used trainers here and there to help motivate me)

+ When it's hot or cold outside I can still run on the track or treadmill

+ My gym has a pool so if I want to swim laps I can

- Transportation to gym (if not driving then just biking there or running there is enough exercise)

- Parking (sometimes finding shade to park in can be tricky and I hate parking in the sun)

- Stuff and sweat (I don't like hauling stuff to take a shower at the gym but I also don't really like driving home all sweaty, especially if I have to run an errand)

- Cost (my gym is cheap but a lot aren't)

- Schedule of classes can be annoying if it interferes with my day

Tom 09-27-2013 01:00 PM

ElaineV makes good points, especially about the added safety of a gym workout: if one were to injure themselves at a gym, someone would be on hand to at least call the ambulance (if they did not know first aid or defibrillation).

One odd thing I've noticed about myself though: I do my aerobic exercise by walking for transportation, and my strength training at the gym. I've become interested in adding Tai Chi to my workout regimen, and I should be stretchng too, but even though I tell myself to do that at home, I often don't get around to doing it. Somehow, if I bought home exercise equipment, I don't think I'd use it. The act of going to the gym commits me to doing my workout. It makes no sense to me but that's the way it is.

Mikelw 03-24-2014 02:01 PM

Gym is better than home.  When you have to go to the gym, you are forced to workout when you're there because there's nothing else to do.  Plus, all the other people around help you to workout harder.  It is hard to be motivated when the gym is in your house. 

yurak 03-25-2014 11:49 AM

Personally I prefer classes, because you have a social factor and an instructor pushes you.

I find a free session on my own home or gym quite uninspiring.

Tarzan 03-26-2014 01:01 PM

you should check scoobysworkshop.com because that guy has great program for home workout.

Gita 07-10-2014 05:38 AM

Community colleges also sometimes have classes. Yoga, spinning, body building. I joined a gym for 3 months only to see if it worked out for me. Gyms sometimes have 3 month memberships, but you often have to pay up front. Getting motivated at home by myself is totally different than being in a gym with tons of equiptment available four your own use. Since the resting period is important to creating muscle, I only go three times per week. My gym also has classes every day which a member can join for a small fee. I'm going to one tonight!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Tarzan 07-13-2014 10:56 AM

Still, if he's goal is to lose body fat then the key is in the food and maybe the best start is to watch documentary "Fat Sick & Nearly Dead" where they show you how to lose 2 lbs per day (by juicing).

Gita 07-14-2014 04:13 PM

True about juicing. Id do a short term juicing fast. If you change your diet you don't need to work out. But op was asking about exersise.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

sammymom07 08-25-2014 04:33 AM

I love working out every day at home with my DH. We do some cycling, sit ups, running and Yoga. We watch some Youtube tutorials on how to do the basic Yoga. Yoga is my favorite exercise now at home it is very relaxing and it improves my flexibility. I also love going to the gym but I don't have time for now.

Aria Beth 10-07-2014 06:56 PM

At home, no one will disturb you while you are exercising. You’ll be able to remain focused and have a faster, more productive workout.
Rent some DVDs from the library, make up my own workouts and spend the gym amount for something else. New Clothes !!! :)

Kiwibird08 10-07-2014 07:59 PM

I personally haven't ever joined a gym. It would be a waste of money for me because I would never go. First, most gyms don't have many, if any, women's only classes or time. Sorry, but I don't want to work out around a bunch of sweaty, testosterone-fueled men! Second, you have to drive or take the bus to the gym and make enough time for commute and workout. I can work out whenever I have a spare 15 minutes at home. Finally, I do a mix of yoga, traditional exercises (sit-ups, pushups, squats, jump rope ext...) and walking. All free, and I'm still fit. Don't need to be hulked-up ripped, just healthy!

Naturebound 10-08-2014 02:19 AM

I do both. From April to October I also ride my bike to the gym and workout almost every day. :) I limit driving a vehicle.

At home I have a workout space in my basement and lift weights, do calisthenics and stretching and yoga. I have an old treadmill but don't use it too often as the floor on it is too slippery. I walk outside when it isn't ridiculously cold and full of snow and ice. And cycle of course. At the gym I also work the weight machines, do some free weights, and use the cardio machines such as the elliptical, stair climber, rowing machine, treadmill. They have a large studio where I stretch and sometimes dance when no one is around. I used to be a dancer years ago. I still do ballet exercises. I can still pull off a nice arabesque and loads of grand plies (works as well as squats) and get a few stares now and then lol.

My husband and I like to snowshoe, canoe and canoe camp, mountain bike, hike/geocache, bird watch etc on weekends. At work I walk on my fifteen minute breaks.

I like the gym because I have made friends there I can chat with while stretching and we can push each other and give feedback. I sometimes watch more experienced people doing some weight exercises and learn from them. I have more choices of weights and more space and I like the rowing machine. I go about 6:15 to 7:45 am five days a week and it is relatively quiet. In January and February it picks up quite a bit but then goes back to the regulars and quiet again. At home I feel less self conscious and can take more time without the extra commute. It is also there on days when we have blizzards and I can't get to the gym.

The old gym I used to go to years ago had a swimming pool and whirlpool that I miss as the new one doesn't (my place of work changed and the new gym is only a half mile from my work). But the new gym is smaller, more intimate, and quieter. There is a lot more floor space for free weights and I feel less intimidated working out among the guys as they just seem nicer and more accepting there than the elitists at the other gym. I also wear my vegan fitness t shirt and a few other vegan shirts to the gym and have had some great conversations with others about plant based eating. :)

Raised By Wolves 10-10-2014 12:20 PM

I'm a fan of home workouts. I like being able to do my thing without scrutiny, at my own pace and I like being able to wear comfortable, craptastic garments even the Salvation army would disown and that would definitely get me the side eye at a real gym. I also can't make excuses because of the weather or the distance or the hassle of having to lug a bunch of stuff I'll need for a shower afterwards. The down side is having my puppy think downward dog poses are an invitation to play and being more easily distracted by things like phone calls and visits from Jehovah's witnesses. Although some of my home work out clothes would probably be a deterrent to any self respecting proselytizer.

The only gym I like is the one at my local Y because it attracts a bunch of people of various ages with all different body types and a broad range of overall fitness. It's not the sort of place that a typical hardbody would be caught dead in and that's fine with me. And it has a pool! And a sauna! The downside is being embarrassed because an 87 year old man can kick my ass on a stairclimber. Or pretty much any other piece of equipment. Plus it's far too easy for me to make excuses why traveling the 5 or so minutes from my house is too much of a hassle.