building running endurance - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM

How can i build my running speed and endurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

By running regularly. Do what you can, when you can. Eat enough calories, fruit and veg a-plenty. Don't overdo the exercise at first, ease into it. You could keep a log of your runs to help motivate yourself.

At uni, I run a few times a week- not far and not very often, but it makes a difference, as I saw when I went for a group run with my football (soccer team). I was one of the best there, just because I get regular exercise and a healthy diet.

There are people on this site with lots of running experience, so I'll let them give you more detailed advice- mine is just to what you can and enjoy it.
#3 Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

Sprints for speed and intervals to build endurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomas21 View Post

How can i build my running speed and endurance.

Any specific goals in mind? Sure, the basics are the same, but you may want to go about your fitness progression slightly differently depending on what direction you're going. Casual trail running? Training for a 5k? Maraton? Obstacle course (i.e. Tough Mudder or Spartan Race)? If there is something you had in mind let us know

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Sprints for speed and intervals to build endurance.

Just wanted to expand on this. As counter intuitive as it might seem, sprinting intervals are indeed one of the best ways to build long distance endurance.

Here's something you can do, as an example, that will do wonders for quickly building your aerobic capacity. Start out with a light jog just to get your blood flowing. Once you're warmed up, start doing intervals where you do an all out sprint for about 20 seconds (as fast as you can but maintain form), then go into a light jog for 10 to 30 seconds (depending on your condition) to give yourself a rest, then repeat. Do this as long as you can take it, a couple miles maybe. Going back and forth from a resting pace to a sprinting pace will improve your VO2 max, and the sprints themselves will help you exercise a specific type of muscle fiber known as elastic fibers, which basically compress as you step down and then help you boost off more explosively with each stride. Improving them helps both speed and energy efficiency.

Another way to target those elastic fibers is through plyometrics. Go to youtube and search for "plyometrics for runners." You'll find plenty of material very easily.

And while you're at it check out a few youtube videos on proper running form. Running is more than just moving your legs over and over. Proper form helps a great deal if you're actually going for speed and efficiency, as opposed to just trying to burn a few calories.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#5 Old 05-07-2012, 02:11 PM

just run for a year or 2 regularly, then come back with some training data & short term & long term goals, and i can help.

no really i need more information.

how long you been running
current workouts
athletic background
age, height, sex, weight
injuries
goals
available time
etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cycle - Run - Train - Live - Vegan
#6 Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Trendy View Post

just run for a year or 2 regularly, then come back with some training data & short term & long term goals, and i can help.

no really i need more information.

how long you been running
current workouts
athletic background
age, height, sex, weight
injuries
goals
available time
etc...

He's right. There's an actual formula for this and this kind of information is
necessary. Maybe not diet and location but your current running stats are
needed.
#7 Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Building speed and endurance is actually very easy.

Run faster, run longer, every, single, day.
Just a little bit per little bit.

To push your limits you need to, well, push them.

But yeah, for short term speed, things like 10 minutes run until your heart explode, 10 minutes break, and again, and again, and again, and again, is good.

After there is of course pro ways to take care of it, vegan diet, water, pasta, running in moumtains... but basically the secret is just to train harder and harder day after day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#8 Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Building speed and endurance is actually very easy.

Run faster, run longer, every, single, day.
Just a little bit per little bit.

To push your limits you need to, well, push them.

But yeah, for short term speed, things like 10 minutes run until your heart explode, 10 minutes break, and again, and again, and again, and again, is good.

After there is of course pro ways to take care of it, vegan diet, water, pasta, running in moumtains... but basically the secret is just to train harder and harder day after day.

You shouldn't run further every day. This is a gradual thing.
If you increase your distance too quickly you run the risk
of seriously injuring yourself. Once a week increase your
running by 5 - 10%. No more than this!
#9 Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Well i m not speaking about increasing the distance by 5 kilometers per week, but a few hundred meters, just like one push up more, is just the way to go.
If there are trees, run to the next tree, if they are houses, run to the next house, if they are rocks, run to the next rock.

If the increase is more significative, then yeah it s obviously more brutal per se.

Am alternative and efficient method is to make someone very angry, and then flee from them, do it every day and i do guarantee quick results.

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#10 Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 PM

increasing everyday, whether its speed or distance, is not the right way. also anything over 3%-5% jump in one week is huge and usually leads to injury. diet and location are important. you can't give a proper assessment unless you know the persons health and you need their diet for that. location is good because you can give better advice if you know their altitude.

Cycle - Run - Train - Live - Vegan
#11 Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 PM

I've always found the 10% rule is key. Increase your weekly mileage by 10% each week--weekly increasing your long runs by a mile is a great way to start. It's difficult to work on both speed and endurance at the same time, though. I recommend working on one and then the other. For speed work, I'd say start gradually with fartlek workouts, tempo runs and then structure interval workouts once a week. There's a lot of great, free training plans online that can help you reach those goals--even if you don't have a race in mind. I also recommend running with other people or finding a running group. A good running buddy can support and push you to your goals.
But listen to your body! You don't want to overdo it and end up injured.
#12 Old 05-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

get some good shoes.
good music or good location/trail.
just go!

make sure you hydrate and eat enough good carbs (i recommend sweet fruits).
i also recommend building the distance slowly.

add some hills in there and maybe some cross-training.
enjoy yourself.

walk as well, too.
#13 Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 AM

I have been running on and off for about three years, but consistantly running for a year.
Honestly my only workout is running
I dont have an athletic background, i just always aspired to be a runner
I am 21, 5"3, female, 143
My knee always hurts when i run but not unbearable, i have noticed when i push my self to run longer i start to wheeze, I thought i had out grown my asthma when i lost 40 pounds 4 years ago but it seems to have come back.
I am currently living in baltimore, md
i just became a vegetarian about 6 months ago, however i still eat some processed sugars.
My goal is to learn proper running forum, start building my core, develope a training routine and stick with it, build my running endurance and speed, enter in to more 5k, 10k and prayerfully before god calls me home complete a marathorn.
i work in the morning and go to school at night, i try to run in the morning sometimes i just wait until the weekend because i am usually off on sat and sun but not all the time.
Let me know if you need anymore info that would help you to help me become the best runner i can be.
#14 Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomas21 View Post

My knee always hurts when i run but not unbearable,

Not sure how much you know about proper form, but often knee pain is the result of running by striking your heels to the ground with each stride. Go to youtube, search for "running form" or "running technique" and watch a few videos. You'll quickly see that there is a general consensus on the proper way to run, not much debate. If you continually improve based on the advice you see, you will be much less likely to end up injuring yourself over time.

For the 5k and 10k, proper warmup techniques are critical to getting a decent time. You should be into your second wind, so to speak, before the run even starts, otherwise you risk burning out early on and falling behind while waiting for your body to get into gear. I go for a light 20 minute jog before my Army fitness test, which includes a 2 mile run, and also do paced strides within 15 minutes of the run and even jog in place while waiting on the start line. Don't worry about running out on anything at or less than 10k. Your muscles have all the energy stored they'll need. The trick is making sure you can efficiently use that energy, and starting the race cold without a warmup is the best way to insure that you won't. You'll want to spend most of the run at a pace that is just above your comfort level, which you should be aware of before reaching that point, and then taking off at a full sprint as you near the end. You should, therefore, also be aware of exactly how far you can sprint. Your training should involve plenty of paced runs as well as sprint training and runners' plyometrics.

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/plyometrics.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Jv_ozhke4

The game changes a bit once you start doing long distance, such as a half or full marathon. For that, the warmup is not as critical as with the shorter races. It's all about your conditioning, physically and psychologically, and the first 3 miles or so in fact should probably be considered your warmup. I'm more into obstacle races, and am training for events like Tough Mudder as opposed to traditional marathons, so others might be able to give better advice than me for that or the half marathon. But from what I know, I would say your best bet is to be well aware of your capabilities, know what pace you're going to go at and how far you can go on that pace, maintain exceptional form in order to avoid injury, and don't be tempted to burn off too much energy too early.

In either case, regardless of what your diet is on a day to day basis, I would suggest carb loading starting a couple days prior to race time. I have a very non-standard high fat diet with moderate carbs, not low like with a keto diet nor as high as what most people probably eat. But when I'm a couple days away from an event I know is gonna need some serious energy reserves, I temporarily switch to a pretty standard pre-competition carb loading diet.

Also, do some google searches on elastic fibers. The above mentioned plyometric exercises as well as the running itself is gonna target these elastic muscle fibers whether you understand their function or not, but it might be nice to understand what should be going on inside your body while you're running anyway.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page