Will a short break affect my fitness level? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By clarita osita

#1 Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM

I run for about 45 minutes everyday. However, the next four days I will be on a school trip, and I won't be able to go running. I'm worried that if I'm not running those four days, I'll gain weight/lose fitness. Is this too short of a time span to worry about weight gain? Should I reduce my food intake during those four days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Nah don't stress to much bro unless you are planning for like a serious competition or something then just enjoy your school trip and i have no doubt you will be active in the day anyway, so me personaly i wouldn't worry to much just enjoy your trip and have a laugh with your mates
#3 Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

No worries. I personally would be restless with no activity for four days. Maybe play a game or something. Foosball!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

A couple weeks can reduce your performance, but a rest of a few days every so often can actually improve it. I do pretty intense exercise almost daily, but I have a semi-annual physical fitness test on Saturday. Starting today, I'm not lifting a muscle. I know from my own experience that after three days of recovery and carb loading, preceded by years of training, I'm gonna tear that test to pieces.

As far as gaining weight, don't worry so much about a few days. The only thing that's gonna mess you up is if you allow a short period of inactivity to become a long lasting habit.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#5 Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Beginner

No! I myself am going to be taking a break from running soon in
order to overcome an injury. Breaks can be very good for the body.

I think you should also incorporate some rest days into your running
schedule regularly. Your body needs time to recover. It's very bad in
the long run to push your body hard every day.
#6 Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

No worries. I personally would be restless with no activity for four days. Maybe play a game or something. Foosball!

I wish!
I'm definitely going to be restless. We'll be walking around and such, but there's going to be no time for me to slip off to the hotel gym or anything--I couldn't even do it at night, because we have to stay in our rooms. But we're going to have a pretty jam-packed schedule, with no time for recreational activities.
#7 Old 05-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

worrying about gaining weight over that short period of time could be seen as bordering on getting obsessive about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo View Post

Nah don't stress to much bro unless you are planning for like a serious competition or something then just enjoy your school trip and i have no doubt you will be active in the day anyway, so me personaly i wouldn't worry to much just enjoy your trip and have a laugh with your mates

yeah. its only 4 days.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#8 Old 05-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

It will most likely actually do you good.
#9 Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Why would it do me good to be inactive rather than following my regular routine?
#10 Old 05-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

body needs rest, gets acclimated to repetitive exercise.
#11 Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 PM

I tend to forget I need to give my body a rest because I workout 7 days a week and I don't want my body to get burned out
#12 Old 06-20-2014, 04:23 PM

A break should be good for you.
It'll give those little aches and pains time to heal up, and your body will accumulate some good nutrition for your next push.
I try to schedule breaks in my routine to prevent burnout.
If you get restless, do what's called "active recovery".
Go for walks, or a relaxing bike ride, or some other low-intensity activity.
Try to make it fun.
You have the rest of your life to workout. You won't lose a step by taking a few days off from your routine.
#13 Old 06-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Beginner

I stopped lifting for a week due to sickness, when I got back into it, I broke a personal record. Weight gain won't be a problem either.

You'll be fine.
#14 Old 06-28-2014, 02:20 AM

Do not be anxious too much, four days is a very short time of break and also you are not stationery when you go to a school trip. There are many outdoor activities or even indoor activities you may want to participate to keep your body working. Do not stress yourself and enjoy life and have some break.
#15 Old 07-03-2014, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

You guys, this thread is two years old. Pretty sure the school trip has passed. :P
Aristede likes this.
#16 Old 07-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarita osita View Post
You guys, this thread is two years old. Pretty sure the school trip has passed. :P
Schools plan ahead these days.... it could still be a month or so away
#17 Old 01-15-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a Balloon a Balloon View Post
Schools plan ahead these days.... it could still be a month or so away
Or there could be other persons who were looking for the same question and they just found it ,like i did ! :P
#18 Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Roland View Post
Or there could be other persons who were looking for the same question and they just found it ,like i did !
That's why I never mind threads being bumped--sometimes over a decade old! But people have similar questions.
#19 Old 01-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Vegan as f**k

You will be fine, don't worry

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#20 Old 01-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Nothing much will change in 4 days, enjoy your break, you can go back on track when you are back

it takes guts to be gentle and kind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page