Help, please! [suggestions for exercise] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2012, 08:02 AM

Hello, everyone. I have decided that I want to incorporate exercise into my life. The only problem is I really don't know what a good exercise routine is since I haven't exercised much in my life before this. I am not athletically inclined, by any means, but I think jogging for 30 minutes or so a day would be beneficial to me. Do any of you have some suggestions as to how I should begin exercising or what I should do to slowly build up an endurance for jogging or other activities? I am 19 years old, female and weigh around 125 lbs. My main goal is to tone my muscles, and build some in my legs and arms. Mainly, I would just like to be fit and be in shape.
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

The couch to 5k program is great for beginning running. It'll also build up your endurance for other activities like you want. Other than that, I would probably just go hiking or swimming, unless you're working towards a really specific goal, rather than general health and fitness

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
#3 Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Banned

take some yoga classes

you will get toned and burn calories plus de stress and relax all while working out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Lift weights.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 01-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

And I mean as heavy as you can.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#6 Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

And I mean as heavy as you can.

great way to get hurt. don't lift as heavy as you can, especially without proper training about how to lift weights safely.
#7 Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

great way to get hurt. don't lift as heavy as you can, especially without proper training about how to lift weights safely.

Of course one would learn the proper lifting techniques first, but when I see women lifting far below their capabilities, I can't help but to sigh.

#8 Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

From my understanding, heavy weights, less reps = strength and bulk
Lighter weights, more reps = strength and toning.

I don't know many women that want to bulk up.
#9 Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

From my understanding, heavy weights, less reps = strength and bulk
Lighter weights, more reps = strength and toning.

I don't know many women that want to bulk up.

No, it's the opposite.

That's why bodybuilders do more reps that professional weight lifters.

Even though they both go to until fail.

And women hold an irrational fear of bulking up anyway.

And toning is a bs word.

#10 Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This is definitely true. It's hard to bulk up, especially as a woman. I probably couldn't do it if I tried
#11 Old 01-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

uh, I can bulk up pretty fast. Each woman is different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#12 Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

uh, I can bulk up pretty fast. Each woman is different.

how many pounds of muscle?

and what do you mean by "can"?

#13 Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

The couch to 5k program is great for beginning running. It'll also build up your endurance for other activities like you want. Other than that, I would probably just go hiking or swimming, unless you're working towards a really specific goal, rather than general health and fitness

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I think I will try this routine, and see how I like it. I may not get up to running the full three miles, but I'll give it a shot.
Do any of you know what would be a good weight training routine to start with? I would like to alternate the cardio days with the weight training, if I have time. :P
#14 Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 PM

And I do have some experience with lifting weights, as that was my favorite workout to do in high school gym class.
#15 Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I do belly dancing, Carmen Electra's strip aerobics, running and yoga, cause I get bored if I don't do something different each time. I hate working out, but if I feel like I'm learning something new and can keep my brain active I'm in. What type of person are you? Do you need a goal to accomplish or are you competitive or crave learning or...? Then build off of that. You'll be setting yourself up for success!

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#16 Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

No, it's the opposite.

That's why bodybuilders do more reps that professional weight lifters.

Even though they both go to until fail.

And toning is a bs word.

Body builders have those short thick muscles rather than the long lean ones of swimmers, though. Isn't that because of lifting heavy?
#17 Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Body builders have those short thick muscles rather than the long lean ones of swimmers, though. Isn't that because of lifting heavy?

Nah, it's because swimmers don't lift as much.

In quantity.

#18 Old 01-30-2012, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Body builders have more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which requires not only consistent mid range or relatively high rep resistance training, but typically a significant caloric surplus as well, and testosterone also plays a role. For most people, it does not come easy, and doing it on accident is not a realistic worry, as Envy mentioned.

Heavy resistance training, low rep high weight, even certain types of isometric training, difficult calisthenics like hand stand or 1 handed pushups, generally causes more myofibrillar hypertrophy, which is generally considered to be more functional, and less bulk inducing as well. The debate between the two types of hypertrophy is complicated, but it is also widely believed that they are mutually dependent, meaning if you don't vary your weight range you will eventually hit a peak, yet another factor that makes it difficult to accidentally become either a body builder or power lifter.

Pretty much everything that has been mentioned sounds like a good idea. The important thing is just to start off doing something, anything, preferably something that is not boring. It's hard enough getting into the habit. I would worry about fine tuning your routine later.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#19 Old 01-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

This is interesting. I know I always worry I will bulk up when I lift weights, so I do low weight/high reps, but I will try heavier and less reps. I was a gymnast when i was young, and would walk on my hands, etc and never bulked up then, so Idk why I believed this.
#20 Old 01-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I was a gymnast when i was young, and would walk on my hands, etc and never bulked up then, so Idk why I believed this.

I personally prefer to work out gymnast style myself, particularly ring training. Functionality aside, it's just more interesting to me. But ultimately resistance is resistance regardless of where it comes from. No reason to be afraid of weights if that's what you enjoy, but also plenty of other options if you don't.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#21 Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I swim and I am long and lean.
#22 Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I swim and I am long and lean.

Swimming won't make you taller though.

#23 Old 01-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm 5'7", but people often think I'm taller than that.
#24 Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Pardon me for being a smartass, but illusions of perception aside, can anyone explain to me exactly what a long muscle is?

#25 Old 03-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Hiking is good if you eventually want to get up to running, start with flat terrain and gradually move up to a more varied trail. It builds all kinds of muscles and is great for the soul.
#26 Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not averse to the idea of using weights, but i don't do gyms and CBA buying the things.
So I do jogging a few times a week, decent cycle rides a couple a week, and a made up routine of push ups and sit ups and core holds. Its enough for me, I could do more but see no real reason to.
#27 Old 03-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Lift weights.

Other than lifting weights what exercise do you do Envy?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#28 Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

Nothing.

#29 Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing.

I wondered why you advocate lifting so heavily (pardon the pun) and that explains it.

Do you find that lifting provides you with a balanced exercise regime? Or perhaps the question should be why do you only lift?

*I am genuinely interested*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#30 Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I wondered why you advocate lifting so heavily (pardon the pun) and that explains it.

Do you find that lifting provides you with a balanced exercise regime? Or perhaps the question should be why do you only lift?

*I am genuinely interested*

I would be lying if I said that I had a balanced exercising regime, since cardio can and should be combined with weightlifting.
The only reason to why I do it like this is because I dislike anything that involves running or cycling.

Maybe if I were to take up martial arts again, but I can't stay committed to that thing.
I prefer intense training at my own pace, if I was to put it like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page