Hooping - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-28-2012, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I know there are a few hoopers on the board, let's start a thread about it!

I bought myself a hoop back in the summer and there's just enough room in my bedroom for me to hoop in one space. When I first got it I just stood and hooped for 2 hours straight! Holy crap the bruises the next day...

I'm hoping to get into it a bit more seriously and learn some more tricks than just basic hooping. I'd like to find a class but they all seem to be at the wrong time or too far away

So who else hoops?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2012, 03:26 AM

Oooh me I'm a hooper, I am not very good and totally screwed up my first performance (I dislocated my knee mid performance) but I can't wait to get back out there and do it again

Ouch that would have killed if you'd hooped for 2 hours straight. I remember being able to hoop for ages as a kid but these days it's alot more effort lol. Have you tried learning some hooping tricks from online? There's quite a few sites dedicated to hoop tricks.
#3 Old 01-28-2012, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh no! How did you manage that? That sounds painful!

I've watched a few videos, but I don't have the space in my room for my hoop to go flying when I lose control I don't have a garden unfortunately and I'm too shy to do it alone in the park
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-28-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Oh no! How did you manage that? That sounds painful!

I've watched a few videos, but I don't have the space in my room for my hoop to go flying when I lose control I don't have a garden unfortunately and I'm too shy to do it alone in the park

It was just bad luck that I did my knee, it was just one of those random bizarre happens for no real reason type injuries. I was kneeling on the ground and then I stood up and my knee went.

Put in some earphones and go the park, that way even if someone yells out you'll never hear them anyway lol. Part of the fun of hooping is watching your hoop fly out of control metres away tee hee
#5 Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Beginner

I'm a hooper! When I first started I had a hugggggge bruise on my left hip for MONTHS.

If anyone is interested in starting and wants some info on where to buy hoops / dvds out there, I made a hooping page a while ago on my site. Just has some quotes from well known hoopers as well as some dvd reviews from ones that I have tried.

That's so cool that there are hoopers here
#6 Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

a coupla of female friends of mine are pretty fierce hoopers. they do it at outdoor parties. its fun to watch. they do all kinds of schmik tricky stuff on their arms & legs that just makes me faceplant when i try to do it

auto correct can kiss my ask
#7 Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Could someone please explain what a hooper is? I used to hula-hoop like nobody's business when I was young and had hips...
#8 Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Could someone please explain what a hooper is? I used to hula-hoop like nobody's business when I was young and had hips...

It's hula hooping but doing way more tricks than just keeping it up. Check out YouTube, people can do some awesome stuff with a hoop and their bodies.
#9 Old 01-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Banned

deleted

#10 Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never actually been able to use a hoop. But I'd love to learn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 01-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I have never actually been able to use a hoop. But I'd love to learn.

Have you tried a weighted adult one? I've never been able to hoop in my life but I got a weighted hoop and was hooping on my second go.
#12 Old 01-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Have you tried a weighted adult one? I've never been able to hoop in my life but I got a weighted hoop and was hooping on my second go.

I picked up one a few years ago at the gym and gave it a brief go, but got embarrassed at how bad I was pretty quickly. Don't know if that was weighted or not. Obviously, anything I tried to hoop with as a child wouldn't have been an adult one. Might see if I can find one and give it a go in private so I won't feel like an idiot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Banned

deleted
#14 Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Beginner

I definitely check out youtube videos to give me ideas. I use a collapsible pro weighted hoop so it's easy to travel with, since it collapses into a very small size, which is so convenient I can't even begin to explain haha. hoops are awkward when you need to take them places. I also used the Hoop Girl Hoop Workout when I first started to get used to moving the hoop around my waist without dropping it. Very helpful, but I don't use it anymore as I find it's just easier to practice on your own at your own pace.
#15 Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

deleted
#16 Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm an avid hooper! During winter I don't usually hoop though because I don't have enough indoor space. I have both big hoops and minis but could do with some new ones.

Well, I'm no pro and have never performed, but I'm not too bad I suppose. I can waist- and chest hoop and my favourite is lying on my back and hooping on my upstretched foot It's fun! I'm also dabbling in mini hooping but not very successful so far because my pair of minis is homemade and more egg-shaped than round...

Here's the one picture I have of myself hooping, it's with one of my minis:

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#17 Old 02-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

^That is AMAZING. I gotta try this stuff.

But I bought myself a skipping rope today, so I'm gonna get good with that first.

#18 Old 02-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

SO COOL Kjesta!
#19 Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 AM

After reading this.... I went out and got a hula hoop yesterday! Totally fun; I can only hoop around my waist though. Today.... I have bruises :-S I only hooped for maybe 20 mins max
#20 Old 02-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone This thread really makes me yearn for some serious hooping again... Sigh.

lovelyveggiechick, don't worry! Tell you what, when I started out I could only keep the hoop up for two spins and that's the same as when I spun it without moving my body at all, very depressing. I had a really awful hoop too, much too light and small. But I stuck with it and eventually I could keep it up. It really helps to turn with the spinning direction of the hoop! Don't gett frustrated and stick with it, if I could do it, everyone can!

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
#21 Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Since reading this thread 24 hours ago, I've looked into learning hooping and poi. I made practice poi and when I go on vacation in the next couple of days I'm making a weighted hoop. I'm so excited! I only ever saw hopped up club rats doing this, but seeing how beautiful it is when controlled has lured me in. But first I have to make the darned thing and figure out its mystical ways of moving.

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#22 Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Everyone who loves hooping must see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EumsgPn9xaM&feature=youtu.be

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#23 Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_it View Post

Since reading this thread 24 hours ago, I've looked into learning hooping and poi. I made practice poi and when I go on vacation in the next couple of days I'm making a weighted hoop. I'm so excited! I only ever saw hopped up club rats doing this, but seeing how beautiful it is when controlled has lured me in. But first I have to make the darned thing and figure out its mystical ways of moving.

Cool! I have practice poi I'm planning on learning with this summer, and after reading this thread and observing a friend of mine who teaches a hooping class I'm giving it some serious thought.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#24 Old 02-08-2012, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_it View Post

I used to do poi, fire poi is fun

I can't do much any more, pretty much just a 3 beat weave, but it's another satisfying one. I think hooping puts a lot less strain on your back though.
#25 Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Everyone who loves hooping must see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EumsgPn9xaM&feature=youtu.be

Very cool!
#26 Old 02-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Banned

deleted

#27 Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I used to do poi, fire poi is fun

That's what I want to move towards, I made practice poi from tennis balls on nylon rope for full swing. My hope is that it will help my wrists and let me play with fire, all at the same time!

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#28 Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Banned

deleted

#29 Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Banned

deleted

#30 Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Guys, I'm going to get my new hoops today Or tomorrow! So excited! I can't wait to play with them. I ordered a big hoop (but lighter than my current one because, though I love him, Belenius is HEAVY!) and a pair of minis. Wheeee! I'll have to show them off once they get here!

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in