New job requires a lot of walking - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I retired from my old job a few months ago. About two months ago I started this whole vegetarian eating lifestyle that looks like a keeper. Six weeks ago I went back to work for the place where I retired as an hourly employee. They have me working on a huge construction site. It requires me to walk many miles in a 9 hour day including up and down about 50 feet of stairs throughout the day. I haven't tried to calculate how many miles I walk in a day but, I would say that ten is a very conservative number. I get this number based on the backpacking that I have done over the years. I have never walked this many hours in a day. I also know how long it takes me to cover 10 - 12 miles on foot. So, on an easy day it's probably ten miles.

Point is, in a way, they are paying me to exercise everyday. I love it, being out in the weather, hearing the birds singing first thing in the morning. I don't use a scale so I don't know what, if any weight loss I have experienced. But, one more belt loop and I will need a new belt.

The down side is that my feet really take a beating some weeks. This is gonna be one of those weeks. I walked all day yesterday and then mowed the grass till after dark last night. I probably walked over 20 miles yesterday. I have walked all day today and my poor feet are cursing me. I just kicked off the boots and put on running shoes so, they like that pretty good.

When this little project is over I guess I will need to try and keep walking. I have been walking all along anyway. The grocery store is about a 4 mile round trip walk from my house. I walk it a lot rather than drive the car. If I'm in a hurry I'll ride my bicycle. What cracks me up is that there are a hundred houses between my house and the grocery store and, as far as I have seen, I'm the only jackass that doesn't drive my car to get a few groceries. No wonder America is so fat.

And while I'm on the topic.. The owner for this new building came by the other day and we gave them a tour. The elevator isn't installed yet so, it's stairs. They walked up one floor, that's right, one floor, and they were huffing and puffing like they had just climbed K2. Granted, these are way taller than normal floors but, one floor. I was trippin out. One frikkin floor. I have to walk the entirety of these stair cases throughout the day, all day. Then I walked them out to the parking lot. It's a huge lot. Like a small airport. They said that they would be purchasing golf carts to get around on the parking lot. They truly believed that it was too big to walk across. I said, hell, I walk the whole thing all day.

I do feel grateful to have this job. I love to walk. I love the out doors. I don't mind heat or cold (well, excluding extreme cold). I love to see deer and birds and geese all day.

They say walking is great exercise because it's easy on the knees and ankles. I would agree with that. The agency that I retired from had a whole lot of runners. When they get old nearly all of them have knee braces and surgeries. I guess a few people are genetically engineered to be runners. I am not. I love to walk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Make sure you eat enough calories to account for too much of a deficit where you get weak/burnt out.
#3 Old 09-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

that's awesome. i love a job that has such great fringe benefits.

The Big Bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

that's awesome. i love a job that has such great fringe benefits.

Hear, hear!
#5 Old 09-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Apparently I'm getting plenty of calories. I have energy all day. It's really quite amazing. Yesterday I started at 07:30am, when I started checking my work emails. I was out on the site walking around by about 08:00am. I took a break for lunch, I drove home, ate some veggie soup, changed into some shorts and pushed the lawnmower around till nearly 9pm. That's basically walking for roughly 10 -10.5 hours. I don't usually go nearly that many hours on my feet but, it was just one of those days. Point being, on a vegetarian diet I have way more energy than on a meat and junk diet. I also sleep better.

The down side is that if you get between me and the bathroom after my morning coffee I will knock you down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page