the elliptical thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

anyone besides me doing most of their cardio by elliptical? i picked up a used schwinn (like new) off craigslist for $250.00. at first, i really struggled on it, just getting used to the motion, which seemed so awkward. now i don't see how i'd ever use anything different. i can a great workout and it's so easy on my joints - my (auto accident) injured knee and hip have made great progress, far better than i got with physical therapy.

any other elliptical fans here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the elliptical too!
#3 Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Banned

since i've started the elliptical, in the last 2 months my blood pressure has gone down to 106/68 - ish (i quit taking bp meds too), resting heart rate around 50. and i've gotten much tighter in general, since it works all the major muscle groups. now i'm going to work on improving my workout music. when i get back to florida, i have plans to make a killer workout room by enclosing my front porch. the biggest knock on my elliptical is that the led panel control isn't backlit. this has gotten to be addictive, and i'm pondering selling the one i have and getting a really nice one with all the bells and whistles. i would have to say this has been the best money i've ever invested in my health. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Banned

i want one of these . http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Variab.../dp/B001AS696K

they go for about 1,200 at bowflex.com.
#5 Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 AM

Hi there,

I'm also a big elliptical fan, although I don't have one - I workout in the gym, on a Precor machine, which is great. Like you, I find it especially easy on my knees, which are quite sensitive and tend to be inflammatory. I also run alot, but take it easier when my knees hurt too much, in which case the elliptical machine is a good replacement.
If you don't care about the money, look for a Precor machine, which I think is the best. It has multiple levels, intensities, slopes and programs, plus a smooth pedalling motion which is not trivial to accomplish. Maybe you can find a second-hand machine...

Good luck!
#6 Old 08-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I love the elliptical, but i'm still mainly a cyclist, however I try to do my elliptical for a total of 300 minutes a week, which is easy in stormy Western Washington!

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#7 Old 08-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I cross train, but i've liked using ellipticals for years. much better for the knees.

The Big Bad.
#8 Old 08-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I love my elliptical. This is the one I have. I'm on it whenever I can't make it to the gym.
#9 Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

I love my elliptical. This is the one I have. I'm on it whenever I can't make it to the gym.

i have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-100160...2576935&sr=1-1
#10 Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

i have an oversized heart (about 1.5 times normal) but not from a disease process. since i've been hitting this thing hard my resting heart rate is 41 (we hooked a heart monitor on me at work to check it. the wave is perfect). when i lay down, my rate is around 35. i feel great .
#11 Old 08-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Nice.

I tried a bunch before I bought one, and definitely liked the schwinns the best.
#12 Old 08-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

Nice.

I tried a bunch before I bought one, and definitely liked the schwinns the best.

yeah i've been really happy with the deal i got on it. the only thing i'd really liike that it doesn't have is the led panel isn't backlit. i'll probably just have to live with that though.
#13 Old 08-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

yeah i've been really happy with the deal i got on it. the only thing i'd really liike that it doesn't have is the led panel isn't backlit. i'll probably just have to live with that though.

So, if you don't live with it?? do you die?

The Big Bad.
#14 Old 08-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

So, if you don't live with it?? do you die?

well, i could smash it with a hammer .
#15 Old 08-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I love the elliptical, but i'm still mainly a cyclist, however I try to do my elliptical for a total of 300 minutes a week, which is easy in stormy Western Washington!

if you're doing 5 hours a week and really pushing it, you are kicking ass on this thing!
#16 Old 08-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

Nice.

how are you using yours? i start on level 5, go 2 minutes, go to level 6 for 2 mins, then level 12 for one minute.. and repeat. i try to keep the speed about 6.8 to 7.0. going to do an hour and 10 mins today but struggling with motivation at the moment. this way, 1 out of 5 minutes is a big uphill climb. if i'm feeling really good, i go all the way to level 16 for my climbs.
#17 Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 PM

I love the machine! I swear by it!! I feel like I get a full workout using it because my legs are toned and my stomach always gets a workout too.
#18 Old 09-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Banned

I'd rather run on the street or ride my bike, which I do. I find it weird when I can just run. I guess it's better for people with bad joints.
#19 Old 12-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm thinking about getting one while it's so cold out and my knee is still too buggered for running. Not sure I could make myself get on and stay on though, it's not fun enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page